Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-27-2023, 05:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

TPMS On 2017 Vista 29VE

First post on site. Just purchased a used 2017 Vista 29VE with Triton V-10 and was convinced to purchase a TPMS Limited 5 yr warranty thru Tire Shield for $995. They made it sound like (or I misinterpreted) it was a tire/wheel replacement warranty. I now realize the tires/wheels will only be replaced if the TPMS system fails and i'm unsure if it covers new tires which I will eventually add. I will be replacing mine at some point even though there is only 16,000 miles on them as they are the original tires at around 6 years old.

My question is this: Was the TPMS system an option or even standard equipment on my rig. My research does not make it apparent so I deflated one of my tires down to 50 psi and have received no error or alert on the dash. I'm trying to determine what I spent $995 on. Will take to a Tire shop next and have it checked out. If it does not have the system it gets more complicated. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Torpedoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 10:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Your rig is similar to mine, a 2021 Adventurer 29B. There was no TPMS installed from the factory, so there is no dash alerts. I've installed a TST507 TPMS on mine (about $600 through Amazon) -- so far it works pretty well and provides some peace of mind when driving the rig with the toad.

I too was convinced to purchase a Tire Shield warranty when I purchased my rig. Only after carefully reading the contract did I realize that it was a very expensive "Road Hazard" tire and/or wheel replacement warranty. We cancelled the coverage and got our money back, although it was a bit of a hassle to do so.

We do have a Coach Net membership for on the road service help. Haven't really needed it -- and hope we never do.

Just curious: Why the "Torpedoman" handle?
Old 10-31-2023, 11:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

WOW! I did some looking to try to find the brand I had used as it worked well for several different RV as we traded around way too often. The price has jumped way too high for logic as we were in the under $200Range a few years back. Looks like they have found they have a sought after product so the profits went way high!
I suspect there was no real TPMS on the RV but it needs checked.
Do you see any sing of anything really different on the wheels at the valves? TPMS have to have electronics to send the signal to the front and they will look different enough for an untrained person to spot them.
If they are stock OEM the valve stems look different and when first turning on the key there should be some form of light come on to indicate the bulb or alarm is working.
Like you get for the brakes and all those other things that light up when we first turn the key?
But if it was aftermarket, there should be some form of monitor added somewhere around the dash. I might guess odds are about 25% of having a real TPMS??
For what they look like, they come in lots of brands and lots of shapes but this is one source for them.
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=tpms

But I didn't know the price had jumped so high!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 12:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

TPMS

I was told by Consignment lot that this is a full tire warranty. I have a friend with a tire shop and will verify if I have system and potentially install if not.
I also need valve stem extensions.
Thanks for responding. I use Torpedoman as I work for navy and operate 50's vintage TT's for testing and R&D.
Torpedoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 02:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2017 29VE, no option for TPMS in those days.

I did the MUCH cheaper route on Amazon and happy to have added visibility and a few extra bucks in my wallet - I used this BUT do believe there are better brand names out there. My fear with any of them is leaking and so far, so good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1