Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2020, 07:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2017 Vista 29ve - add fan in kitchen vent - power?

I just bought a 2017 Winnebago Vista 29ve. Loving the layout and spaciousness after having had an Itasca Class C for 20 years.

Need to know for those of us with the first iteration of the 29ve model, the vent in the kitchen area is not a fan model from the factory. I pulled the inside cover and only saw the styrofoam leading me to believe I'll have to fish wires through from somewhere.

The lights I assume only have power when the switch is on, so that's out. I believe you have to cross the AC ducting to get to above the "command center" where there are LOT's of wiring! The direction towards the driver's side is the slide-out and likely no wires easy to access on that side.

If you do cross the AC duct, do you just fill where you ran the wires to ensure you don't lose any AC or just leave it alone as it's likely a small hole?

Any input would be great.

Thanks,

David
JLUSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUSoCal View Post
I just bought a 2017 Winnebago Vista 29ve. Loving the layout and spaciousness after having had an Itasca Class C for 20 years.

Need to know for those of us with the first iteration of the 29ve model, the vent in the kitchen area is not a fan model from the factory. I pulled the inside cover and only saw the styrofoam leading me to believe I'll have to fish wires through from somewhere.

The lights I assume only have power when the switch is on, so that's out. I believe you have to cross the AC ducting to get to above the "command center" where there are LOT's of wiring! The direction towards the driver's side is the slide-out and likely no wires easy to access on that side.

If you do cross the AC duct, do you just fill where you ran the wires to ensure you don't lose any AC or just leave it alone as it's likely a small hole?

Any input would be great.

Thanks,

David
About the AC duct I wouldn't worry about the small hole.

If you don't want to dig through the Styrofoam you can go the the hardware store and buy some decorative wire run which has adhesive on one side to glue to the ceiling. This wire run is about 3/4" x 3/4" square and sold in about 48" to 60" lengths. Then you can run the wire over to a cabinet which has 12V in it.

It may be that the ceiling lights have 12V at the light and the switch supplies the ground. Take a multi meter and check, you may only have to run one wire.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Ok so after pulling a few things decided to cross through the duct. Stopped after pulling two wires. One is for the ac to add heat strip so I can upgrade thermostat at same time. Other one is ready for fan and I’ll figure out if nearby light is positive or negative always on. Thanks for idea.

First time I’ve seen kitchen with no overhead fan. Going to swap with bedroom and upgrade that unit with one that has a thermostat.

Enjoying all the mods I’m making. Looking for projects as we shelter in place.
JLUSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, power, vent