Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-27-2023, 04:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Changing your own tire question

About a month ago I had a flat tire due to a leaky TPMS transmitter cap. The TPMS never showed that the tire had zero pressure, it always read 99, but something told me to pull over and check, and sure enough my one dually tire had no air in it. Long story short, I called road side assistance to come and check the tire and all it needed was air. I watched what the tech was doing the whole time. He removed the tire from the rim with just a tire iron, checked it then put it back on, filled it with air, then using the tire iron again, was able to get it on the lug nuts and tighten it back up, lastly using a torque stick to get the lugs tightened to the proper torque without over tightening. This led me to thinking that I can do that as long as I have the right tools. So yesterday I bought a spare tire to keep with me on trips, and I talked to the guy at the tire shop about an impact gun that could do the job. He told me that he uses a Milwaulkee battery operation impact gun with a 6.0 amp battery to do those kind of jobs. I ordered one of those guns along with 2 batteries and now I'm just wondering about the torque stick........... I thought the roadside tech said the torque stick was over 400 ft/lbs, but I haven't been able to find one that goes that high, which makes me think I didn't hear him correctly. So my question is what is the right torque spec for my class A motor home.........
TIA
jefflbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 08:47 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Recommend you talk with the chassis builder to start (? Freightliner at their 24/7 help line 1-800-FTL-help). Torque numbers are different depending on sizes, etc.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:46 AM   #3
Site Team

Jeff, when asking for help or advice it's really mandatory that you give us the Year, Model and floor plan of your RV? Otherwise, we're all just guessing.

Most of us put this info in our Signature. That way it appears on EVERY post we make, no need to remember to include it. Since you have over 30 posts here, perhaps you would like to add this info?

Here's how to do that:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EditSignature.png
Views:	45
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	187679  
Old 10-27-2023, 10:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Creativepart, actually I created my signature a few hours ago just for the reason of not having to always thing to include the information........
Old 10-27-2023, 12:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have a Vista 27N Class A with 19.5" Steel Wheels and 245/70 tires. Here's what I have to have to remove a wheel and do my own tire service without having to drive the RV somewhere or call a service truck ...

120 PSI pancake tank style air compressor, the kind that is used with small nail guns
air hose on reel from harbor freight mounted to floor in basement bay,
good air hose tire fill end with dial pressure gauge,
electric 1/2" drive impact wrench with right impact socket,
heavy duty jack stand,
wheel chocks.

This stuff takes up about 1/2 of a basement bay in my RV.

It has come in handy once when I damaged a tire driving over a un-seen hazard at a campground. I was able to take the wheel with damaged tire off and drive it in my toad to a tire place to get the tire replaced (it was not repairable), then was able to bring back and reinstall without waiting for and paying for a off site service truck.

I also carry a professional grade tire plugging kit but have never had a puncture in tire tread that it would be able to fix.

I do use the compressor and air hose multiple times a year to maintain the tires at proper air pressure.

Working with these large steel wheels and tires is at the limit of my physical capabilities so that's something you should consider.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 01:00 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflbi View Post
Creativepart, actually I created my signature a few hours ago just for the reason of not having to always thing to include the information........
I just looked at your account info and there is no Signature entered.

Either you added the info to your Profile... which no one will see. Or if you entered it to the Signature you didn't click Submit.

Look at that image above - that's how you enter a Signature.

Cheers.
Old 10-27-2023, 07:08 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
He told me that he uses a Milwaulkee battery operation impact gun with a 6.0 amp battery to do those kind of jobs

I have an 18v impact that works on lug nuts up to about 100ft/lb, no way it would even touch the lugs on my Vista. I have a really hard time believing that a 6v battery is going to do much. That's like cordless screwdriver level power.
Old 10-27-2023, 08:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
I have a Vista 27N Class A with 19.5" Steel Wheels and 245/70 tires. Here's what I have to have to remove a wheel and do my own tire service without having to drive the RV somewhere or call a service truck ...

120 PSI pancake tank style air compressor, the kind that is used with small nail guns
heavy duty jack stand,
wheel chocks.

It has come in handy once when I damaged a tire driving over a un-seen hazard at a campground. I was able to take the wheel with damaged tire off and drive it in my toad to a tire place to get the tire replaced (it was not repairable), then was able to bring back and reinstall without waiting for and paying for a off site service truck.

I also carry a professional grade tire plugging kit but have never had a puncture in tire tread that it would be able to fix.

I do use the compressor and air hose multiple times a year to maintain the tires at proper air pressure.

Working with these large steel wheels and tires is at the limit of my physical capabilities so that's something you should consider.
Installing a plug in a tire is a temporary measure only. It should be removed and a standard plug/patch installed for a permanent repair.
The patch seals the leak, the plug portion seals the hole.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 06:23 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
I have an 18v impact that works on lug nuts up to about 100ft/lb, no way it would even touch the lugs on my Vista. I have a really hard time believing that a 6v battery is going to do much. That's like cordless screwdriver level power.
I know 3 mechanics, and they all recommend this particular impact gun for removing lug nuts on heavy duty trucks and buses..........
Old 10-28-2023, 06:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post

heavy duty jack stand,
wheel chocks.

My rims are 22.5" and my motor home has a built in compressor, but it's not enough to operate an air impact gun that would losen the lugs. The guy at the tire place and two other mechanics I know that work on heavy duty trucks and buses recommended a particular Milwaulkee battery operated impact gun with at least a 5.0 amp battery. That's what they use........... I have a 20 ton bottle jack, and I can use my levelers in place of a jack stand.

I'm a DIY type of guy and I have no problem tackling a big job. I like the idea of a plug kit though. I keep one in all my vehicles. I'll have to look for one designed for my tires. Heck, I'll even look for the patch kit. The roadside tech that helped me a month ago removed the tire from the rim with just a crowbar and was easy. I think I can do that, and even if I can't, I'll have a tire with me so I won't have to pay the "on the road" price for one...........
Old 10-28-2023, 11:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
He said a 6ah battery not 6V. The Milwaukee impact has plenty of torque and is the favorite among professional mechanics.
Old 10-28-2023, 01:20 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
He said a 6ah battery not 6V

Well, color me stupid. Just a couple of weeks ago I swapped wheels between two cars and there were several lug nuts my impact just wasn't budging. Now that I think about it I bet I just grabbed a 2ah battery instead of using my 5ah one. Makes a pretty big difference.

DOH!
Old 10-28-2023, 01:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I have a 7 amp 120 VAC corded 1/2" impact wrench, it works great. Under $ 50 Chicago Electric from Harbor Freight. It works fine for occasional use on my RV. It can produce up to 230 ft-lbs of fastening force and up to 600 lbs breakaway force. I also carry a 1/2" click type torque wrench to properly torque set the lug nuts so I don't over-torque the lug nuts with the impact wrench and break something.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 05:39 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
He removed the tire from the rim with just a tire iron, checked it then put it back on
This is what impresses me!
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 05:42 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
This is what impresses me!
I saw that too, he must mean he removed the tire and wheel with a tire iron.
Old 10-28-2023, 11:48 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The OP needs to confirm but I think what he wrote is pretty clear that the tire was removed from the rim and put back on again.
Old 10-29-2023, 06:39 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
The OP needs to confirm but I think what he wrote is pretty clear that the tire was removed from the rim and put back on again.
That is correct!!! He jacked up the corner of the RV just enough so that the tire was less than an inch off the ground. He was able to wiggle the tire off, then removed the tire from the rim with just the tire iron. And the guy at the tire place that I bought the spare from, and had new tires put on the RV when I bought it said that that's how they get those size tires off the rim as well. There is so much tire to work with that it comes off easy using a tire iron.......
Old 10-29-2023, 11:12 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
That is correct!!! He jacked up the corner of the RV just enough so that the tire was less than an inch off the ground. He was able to wiggle the tire off, then removed the tire from the rim with just the tire iron. And the guy at the tire place that I bought the spare from, and had new tires put on the RV when I bought it said that that's how they get those size tires off the rim as well. There is so much tire to work with that it comes off easy using a tire iron.......
That's the first time I've ever heard of that, I wouldn't have thought it possible.
Old 10-29-2023, 12:41 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

I know standard automotive tires can be a bear without a "tire machine" so I just thought large RV and truck tires would be worse.
Old 10-29-2023, 01:08 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

I got to watch them install my new tires. The old Goodyears came off the rims easy enough with one guy and a long tire iron, but the new ones were a bear to get on. Two tire irons prying on it, a guy standing on the wheel to hold it down, and a third guy smacking the tire with a sledge hammer to pop it over the rim. All six new ones went the same way.