Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-19-2023, 07:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Stop light switch under dash is wobbly

I had a repair shop replace the stop light switch under my dashboard that is connected to the brake pedal. It's a 1991 Toyota truck / Winnebago Micro Minnie Warrior. The switch sends a signal to the brake lights when the brake pedal is pressed. I was reviewing the work done, and the switch is wobbly. I posted a video here:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/sa_U1EX4EsQ

I would assume it shouldn't move as much as it does. Is this amount of movement normal? I can moved it by hand without any tools and it will cause the brake lights to turn on. I think it needs to be tighter. Anyone agree or disagree?

Thank you for any advice :-)
1991Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 10:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi 1991Warrior,
If it works properly by application of the brake, I would assume that it is fixed. The wobble might be how the part is manufactured, and except when reaching under the dash to move it, might not be a problem.
Maybe wait a day to see if we get more comments from the crew here. Once armed with that information, perhaps you could then ask the mechanic who did the work for you about the wobble.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 08-20-2023, 08:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

No problem as the "active parts" are what is solid and the part you have moved is just the body of the switch.
If one wanted to do something, I would suggest being sure the nut that you see is tight or put a bit of lock-tight on the threads to hold it from working loose at some point.
Overall it looks good from here!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 03:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Eagle5 and Richard for the help! I went ahead and just tightened the bolts to make myself "feel" better ;-)
1991Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 06:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991Warrior View Post
Thanks Eagle5 and Richard for the help! I went ahead and just tightened the bolts to make myself "feel" better ;-)
The brake lights should only come on when the pedal is depressed, anything else is incorrect. Ask the shop how they would like to follow a vehicle with the brake lights flashing on randomly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 02:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Exclamation Important facts about brake light triggered controllers

Micro switches on break light pedals can indeed become problematic. It is easy to forget that if you have cruise control there is usually a switch with the same setup that deactivates the cruise until you reset it every time you hit the brakes. Be very careful to learn the right way to set things up.

I had a GMC Canyon that we used to pull our little Scamp that had electric brakes because it weighed in at 1700 lbs dry, heavey little trailer for sure. The trailer was heavy enough that it really needed brakes so we had to wire in a controler. Learning how to do it correctly made the job simple because I had to create the wiring as there was no plugin installed on the truck for the 7 wire. But there was a factory tow hitch for use only with trailers that didn't require a controller. The truck just had a cut off four wire mickey mouse hack job that the dealer had fixed to sell the truck.

The 2007 Canyon also had cruise control and stop light switches on the brake lever. The previous person who had leased it, used it on a farm in the Fraser valley. Someone there had really messed up the install of a controller in the past on the brake light switch which caused the switch to fail. The dealership in Vancouver had just mickey mouse fixed it to sell it cheap off lease and get it off their books! We were needing a truck to pull a camper at the time we bought it because our mazda 3 could not, at least not legally . I had to redo both what the clown out in the Fraser valley had done as well as what the dealership we bought the truck had done to quickly fix the brake lights. That included replacing the brake light switch which was wounded from someone wrenching on it the wrong way, most likely the farmer who had hacked in a controller and messed up the brake light functions in the first place. Thank heavens they didn't mess with the cruise control switch by mistake!!!!!

Found out in a hurry why we got the truck for a whopping 5000 under market value!

Only other thing I had to do was put in a new clutch because obviously the previous owner had totally abused it getting stuck in farmers fields. It was the four wheel drive and thank heavens that was fine.
Still got really great service for quite a while out of that little gem of a truck. Great for going fishing in the interior for 7 years so we got our monies worth out of that little 4 cylinder and it nicely pulled 2000 lbs and still had some room for our gear with a little gem of a 13 foot heavy fiberglass camping trailer.

Then we bought our Winnie Drop and had to trade up to a bigger truck to pull it.

I found out early on why learning how to properly wire controllers is absolutely essential and cannot be fudged or it becomes a very serious safety issue indeed.

Having been trained in my 20s on air brakes, safety checks are absolutely essential. If there is any problems with brake lights and brake application fix it before turning a wheel with either the truck or the trailer.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, light, switch