Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone else had the following problem. You leave your campground, or house, drive 1 to 2 hours and the jack down alarm goes off. I turn on the pad, hit all up, and won't have the problem again untill the next trip. Sometimes have to repeat above procedure more than once on same trip.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone else had the following problem. You leave your campground, or house, drive 1 to 2 hours and the jack down alarm goes off. I turn on the pad, hit all up, and won't have the problem again untill the next trip. Sometimes have to repeat above procedure more than once on same trip.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I had that problem once when I first got the rig. Called the dealer and he told me to always wait until the HWH system shuts itself off (after retracting the jacks) before starting the engine.

Recently, I was in a bit of a hurry to leave a site, stored the jacks, let all the red lights go off (lights for each jack) but started the engine before the HWH panel shut off. About 5 miles down the road I got the 'jacks down' alarm.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Jon;
It happens to me often on bumpy roads. I suspect the bumps causes a jack to drop a little. Like you I turn the pannel on and hit store and the offending jack parks itself and the warning light goes off until next time.
Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:10 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

smlranger hit it right on the head. When you hit the store function, you need to wait around 2 minutes AFTER the jacs completely retract before shutting off the key or moving it from accessories to start position. The system takes that long to cycle thru. The lights will go off including the "on" light when the cycle is complete. If you are sitting there when it happens, you will hear it click off. It says this in the HWH manual.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I've seen it mentioned before, and I'm pretty sure I read it in the manual that you should travel with the 'store' button turned on.

2004 Meridian 34H
Fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

While I haven't had this particular problem, I have a related question about sequence.

My manual says to always have the engine running when operating the slides so as to use the power from the alternator. It also says that the coach should be level when the slides are extended or retracted.

So...if I need to start the engine to retract the slides, should I not leave it running while retracting the jacks?

Thanks Much!
RickO

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Just to put in my two cents worth. I always have the engine on when retracting the jacks. Start the engine, unplug the shore power, stow the cable, retract the slides, then stow the jacks. Back out for a final check top and bottom including the jacks. By the time I get back to the driver's seat the lights are out on the jack panel, air is up and the engine has a good start on being up to temp. Has worked fine for four years. The book does say to let the jack panel turn itself off. That way it is completely done and happy.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon p:
Has anyone else had the following problem. You leave your campground, or house, drive 1 to 2 hours and the jack down alarm goes off. I turn on the pad, hit all up, and won't have the problem again untill the next trip. Sometimes have to repeat above procedure more than once on same trip. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have had the same problem before with my '04 Brave. I've gotten out of my rig and did a walk around to discover that the RR jack is partially deployed 1-2". I have had to crawl under the rig and manually apply pressure to the jack to get it to retract. The dealer replaced the springs on the jack, but I have experienced the problem since. You might want to check out this thread as there is some good information/discussion about this very problem: http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2486094452/m/6431033151

Good luck and if you find a solution let us know!

goldcountryca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all. It sounds like it is a common problem, but I can live with it.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem while driving the alarm and lights for the jacks would activate.
I called and sent an e-mail to HWH and they responded with the followinf instructions.
Once your jacks are up always run with the store button activated
I have was concerned it would damage my jack system but was assured it would not.
I have been doing this for over 5000 miles and no problems at all.

2004 Adventurer 33' W20 03Chassis, 4 Koni's, Ultrapower/Taylor Wires
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:46 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I too have had the same problem with the rear jack on drivers side alarm going off. I have replaced the springs which seemed to help along with leaving panel in store position while traveling. That seems to work during cooler weather but when it heats up, the alarm sometimes goes off even in store position. I finally ran a 3/32" control cable from the bottom side of the jack over the top of the jack cylinder to the bottom on the other side with a turnbuckle to snug it up tight. It is an inconvenience to have to do this each time you set-up and break-down but it beats the heck out of listening to the alarm.
Cherokee9 is offline   Reply With Quote