Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2020, 12:18 AM   #1

How To Make Changing Your Fluids Easier (Coolant, Engine Oil, Allison Tranny, HWH)

Today I used a cheap electric pump to change the fluids in my Hydraulic Reservoir and HWH reservior, and it was one of the easiest PM fluid changes I ever did.

This electric pump made the job easy. I wish I bought it years ago:

$19 Pump: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I admit: It's a cheap pump, but that's a bonus, and it got the job done very quick. I don't know how long it will last, but I have no reason to believe I will out last it!

Now the days of working a funnel into tight spaces are over!

In my 2004 Itasca "Horizon" 40AD, my HWH Jack & Slideout Reservior is located under the front steps. ...And for 12V power, I just pulled the tow car up so could attach the pump to my 12 volt car battery; and I was done using the pump in 10 minutes; making the total time to suck out the old HWH fluid and replace it with new Dexron II just 40 minutes all-in. ...And now, I think my jacks come down a litter faster now, but I think I need to run a few more cycles to be sure. I also think giving the HWH fluid a 4 quart "boost" is a good thing; and the same can be said for using the lawnmower fuel filter if you ever decide to reclaim old fluids for use. And 5-8 yrs from now I will do a complete fluids change.

Note: If you are careful, you should experience "no mess" transferring the fluids, but you can make a real mess trying to put away the pump and hoses. I suggest you tape them in a circle or use a zip tie. However, after the first couple attempts you will learn the tricks... and how to store the oily thing or clean it. (Your choice.) So this is the only downside I found.

Note: It also helps to be camping or on dirt when do this job.

COMMENTS

* The color of the steering hydraulic fluid was a little off in color. It had a tinge of brown in it I did not like. This was after ~45,000 miles of driving since I changed the fluid back in 2015. So I'm glad I got to it now. And using the 12v electric pump was far better then trying to use a drill pump. So don't even bother going that route!

* I think the old HWH fluid had a good color, but is seemed to have a little thicker viscosity vs. the cheap Super Tech Dexron III fluid I used. But as I said, I think my jack come down a little faster after I took out 1.75 gal from the HWH reservoir and replenished it with 1 gallon of new Dexron III. Then I used a lawnmower fuel filter (10 micron) to put back 3 quarts of the old HWH Dexron III fluid in my HWH tank and that seed to work out very well.

Note: My old fluid was red in color so that told me the previous owner flushed the reservoir at some point as well. Still, I think changing hydraulic fluid is a good idea every 5-8 years depending how your area of weather (dry vs. wet vs. humid).

and put back 2 gallons to bring the fluid level up a bit, because the tank was on the low-end of full when I began.

This pump makes changing fluids of all kinds very easy. I used it to pump new engine coolant back in the overflow tank, which has no room for a funnel.

And this pump will work with diesel engine oils and even differential full synthetic oils. I would not use it on standard differential oils because these oils are thick and do not flow as easily as full syntetic differential oils... which are clear in color so don't let that throw you!

Next week I use this pump to replenish my Allison tranny with 8-10 quarts when I change the 2 filters in it. Note: I did a complete tranny fluids change 40,000 miles ago, and they say this TES295 fluid called "Transend" will last the life of your coach, but I don't trust that. Further, my research uncovered Allison recommends changing the filters and adding 8-10 quarts of fluid every 60,000 miles or 3yrs in order to reach that 300,000 mile mark. ...It's all a bit vague to be sure, but I think giving your tranny a 8-10 quart boost is a good idea vs the much higher cost of replacing 17 quarts if you have a 2" tranny pan or 19 quarts if you have a 4" tranny pan.

So this year I have changed all my fluids and boy what a lot of work this is! Expensive too! ...And I never would have attempted it without this pump!

CAPACITIES

Hydraulic Steering Reservoir: 10 quarts (2.5gal)

HWH Reservoir: 7 quarts

Note: You need to put jacks up and your slides in a particular configuration before you check the fluid level in your HWH reservior. (See chart below for Horizon Models.) Note: This information is not easy to find. So before you check your HWH fluid level you need to be sure you know what slideout configuration is right for your coach.

Pump Comments: It really pays to add a longer discharge tube to the pump. You need another 2-3 feet! ...And you should use masking tape to temporarily tape the discharge tube in place so it does not pull out when you are concentrating on the pump on/off switch and/or moving the suction tube from one gallon container to another. I.e., get your pump configured the way you want it before you start pumping oils that can get messy to deal with. This can be an easy PM job or a messy one depending on you!

Good luck with your next fluids change! I hope these tips help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200723_204751.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	174414   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200731_164638.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	174415  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:29 AM   #2

Follow-up and correction: I really found using this pump worked great to suck out the Dexron III fluid out of the HWH reservoir and the Steering Pump/Fan Clutch reservoir too. ...And the pump worked great to put the new Dexron III back.

ALLISON TRANNY FLUID CHANGE TIPS

Changing your tranny fluid is no more difficult than changing your engine oil and it will take you 1-1.5 hours. There is a YouTube Video on this subject you should watch first, and it's important not to over torque your tranny filter bolts!!!

or

TIPS:

* Change your Allison filters first and do it ONE AT A TIME.

* Scratch an alignment mark in the Allison flat drain cover plate before you remove them, because this will help you realign the 6 holes when it comes time to put the cover plate back.

When you replace one filter at a time you don't lose that much fluid at a time... and after you replace both filters... then you can drain all the fluid out of the drain plug.

When it comes to replacing the tranny fluid, don't bother using the scavenge pump to put the new Dexron-III-TES295 fluid back. Instead, find yourself a long, accordion DEF Funnel in a gas station trash can and take if for your own use to fill the tranny and engine oil. (So you will need 2 of these funnels.)

==> You will find the outer diameter of the flexible DEF funnel will fit snugly in the Tranny fill tube and you will not spill very much fluid using this funnel.

==> And the reason why you will find these funnels in the trash is because Dodge and Chevy truck owner that buy the 2.5 gallon DEF jugs come with these funnels.

==> And if you find the 2.5G jug you might keep it too for recycling your generator oil.

==> And if I were you I would change your Allison filters every 50,000 and replenish your fluid. This is not a complete fluid change, but it will replenish most of the tranny fluid and if you do this you will save money and always have a health running tranny. (Just be sure to double check you fluid levels using the electronic key pad AFTER YOUR TRANS WARMS UP TO MORE THAN 150F. (The dip stick may or may not be accurate and it's just a rough way to check if you have the right amount of fluid in your Allison. The better way is to use the electronic key pad.)
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, fluid, engine