Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-09-2024, 05:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Support slide to sit while retracted?

Has anyone tried putting a properly sized piece of rubber under the slide when retracted?
I was thinking of a piece of firm rubber under the front lip of the couch or bench to support the slide while retracted…
Would like to be able to sit on it when retracted, and maybe this might help support the cantilever load while going down ruff roads, less slide out failures???
Thoughts?
If I had to I would use wedge shaped pieces slid underneath, then use strings as tethers to pull them before extending. (Pink flagging for visibility)
Bill
Wmlunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 10:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Probably overkill but,...

anyway, seems like Lipert screwed up in the assembly. They have a TSB on the "problem' but no specifics listed, although they do mention the improved the shoe design. They cover the repair $, Winnebago covers the repair $.

here's a link to the previous discussion.
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3925581

good luck,
Steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 01:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info Steve!
Old 04-10-2024, 02:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmlunt View Post
Has anyone tried putting a properly sized piece of rubber under the slide when retracted?
I was thinking of a piece of firm rubber under the front lip of the couch or bench to support the slide while retracted…
Would like to be able to sit on it when retracted
, and maybe this might help support the cantilever load while going down ruff roads, less slide out failures???
Thoughts?
If I had to I would use wedge shaped pieces slid underneath, then use strings as tethers to pull them before extending. (Pink flagging for visibility)
Bill
You have an excellent idea, but I don't trust it. The whole slide system is a flimsy piece of junk that probably should not have any other tests. We are all travelling with our fingers crossed hoping it works through the current trip. It's a great feature for stock holders, but not for trailer owners.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the kind words, I am retired design engineer and usually come up with ideas on how to fix things.
We will be picking up our TT soon and hope to come up with a solution, I naively thought I could use it when retracted when I first saw them.
Bill
Old 04-10-2024, 10:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmlunt View Post
Thanks for the kind words, I am retired design engineer and usually come up with ideas on how to fix things.
We will be picking up our TT soon and hope to come up with a solution, I naively thought I could use it when retracted when I first saw them.
Bill
At first glance I wanted to have a https://vroomslidesystems.com/
installed in our trailer. Being a design engineer you would have a better opinion on that system than I do. It might be what you're looking for.

After thinking more about your post, there has to be something that would make it stable in the retracted position. I hope you come up with something that works and share it with us.

I'm guessing the testing done on the Schwintech is in-and-out many times in a laboratory situation, but it won't stand the rigors of being jostled around on the road - or any motion in any direction while retracted.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Blue Sky, thanks for the info, have to cogitate that for a bit. Nervous that only available for install in Arizona!!’
Welcome to the forum!
Bill
Old 04-12-2024, 09:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I did get a peak with the slide fully extended, and the front of the couch is supported on 2 casters. There is a floating frame under the coach which picks up the load in the middle of the couch when folded flat.
I could not retract the slide to see how it is supported then, but assume the front of the couch is still supported by the casters.
This must leave the rear of the couch unsupported when retracted?
Or at least the weight of occupants sitting well forward of the lower seal. The bending moment on the slide rails must change, maybe a tension/compression thing..
Certainly having weight in the storage box, or under bench seats, may not be a good thing, more to come.
Bill

Tags
slide