Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-06-2022, 10:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2022 Micro Minnie 2108DS slideout broken.

Called Winnebago, talked with Andrea. She took good care of me and answered my questions.

#1 There is a not a RECALL on the Schwintek system. Just a Technical Service Bulletin for October 2021-Jan 2022 models. I have one of course, made on a Friday no less. Basically mine will not go out or come in on the side closest to the front. You can wiggle it, override the controller box, whatever, nada. Tech at Shady Oaks RV in Texarkana said it was FUBAR.

#2 There IS a safety recall on the ball coupler, where it attaches to the frame. Certain ones did not get welded on properly. Please have your dealer check to see if it's half-ass done.

#3 When I was cancelling my RV spots this morning for my trip to Montana, many of the park owners were telling me that I wasn't the only one to have slideout issues.

I'd say that after planning the trip of a lifetime and cancelling reservations, I'm still out $300-$400 bucks not to mention down time when I can't use it.

Hope you are all having better luck and Winnebago, shame on you for the quality of products you are putting out. Heck, hire me, I will damn sure make sure each is 100% before leaving the factory.
jaywhite674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 11:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

So sad to hear your misfortunes Jay.
Many of us have suffered factory screw-ups, but most not as severe as yours. If you read other forums, you’ll find buyers of lesser brands more upset than the typical Winnebago buyer. That’s no excuse for the build quality of WBGO towables slipping so badly. Just curious if the slide was working properly during PDI when you took delivery?
Old 09-06-2022, 12:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yes, I bought it in December of 2021. I had been waiting patiently on this model. In all there were 7 defects they fixed leading up to the slide malfunction. Let's see if I can remember them all. Fresh water gauge not working, dinette table would not lock in the up position, city water connection "o" ring wasn't stopping water pump from pumping out all the water, when they winterized it, left antifreeze valve on, screen door would not latch to the trailer, backsplash by sink coming away from wall (still is), TV set at an angle (hard to watch that way) and floor squeeks bad in front of the stove. Hopefully I can piggyback floor and backsplash when slide is getting fixed. Other that that, I love it and have used it probably 30 days camping and 4000 miles.
Old 09-07-2022, 08:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Mine broke too

My 2108DS is probably in the time period. I had trouble withe the front hanging up and took it back to the dealer several months ago — said they could not find anything and it worked for them. One trip was fine. Today on the next trip it happened again but much worse. - the whole mechanism popped loose from the wall. The only good thing is we were only 1 hour away from home. Back to the dealer tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FFC0DB51-7093-4E62-B643-CBA610231D65.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	184081  
dbader3718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Delivered my Minnie to the dealer this morning. The tech said the drive mechanism being ripped out was normally seen on the Jayco, not so much on the Winnebagos. He also said Winnebago used to pop rivet the mechanics, but mine has self drilling screw that just went thru the siding with maybe 1 thread thru the thin hollow tubing behind that. Another cost cutting example? They are going to put rivets on both sides of the slide to fix it.
dbader3718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 03:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Our Micro Minnie 2100BH falls into this date range, build date 11/2021. It's interesting that I hadn't heard of this TSB as I spent most of June and July calling both Winnebago and Lippert to get our slide repaired. (Link to the TSB for those interested)

From reading the TSB is sure sounds like ours was part of the bad batch. The lower shoe pulled out of the rack and bound up causing all sorts of problems. Our slide had operated probably 10 times when the failure occurred. So I would probably add that to any future PDI, slide in and out more than a few times.

If I could offer any advise to anyone dealing directly with Winnebago on these slide repairs, we were waiting 3 weeks for parts to come in and when I finally called Lippert directly they informed me they make the Schwintek parts to order and could ship them overnight to me the next day. So, Winnebago was obviously just giving me some BS so they could pull from their (out-of-stock) stock and not have to reimburse Lippert.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

NV_Camper thanks for the TSB link.
Bigbird65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 01:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Same thing happened to ours!!!
seredni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

2020 2108DS same issue.

Ours is sitting at dealer repair. We are in limbo. Not sure if ours falls under this bulletin but repair guy mentioned it.

Slide out was binding. Put a floor jack under one side and it would it go out okay (front) and came in on its own no issues. But is tearing away from wall on tv side. Sound like same issues?
seredni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Two types of slide failures?

We also have a slide room issue. ours is not a pulling away of the H Column its within the Lippert In-Wall system. The TSB is applicable to the Lippert mechanism and the dates are for the Lippert build dates. Which may or may not correspond to the trailer build date.
The failure modes and I suspect, root cause, seem different between the Lippert In-Wall mechanism and the ripping out of the H Column from the wall?

- steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The whole thing has been a cluster for hundreds if not thousands of customers. I am in forums in Facebook and some have had Lippert Techs come to their home to replace the slide mechanisms. What I've been telling people is to not sit on it when closed, pack maybe 100 pounds total under the seats and use yoga blocks when going down the road. Pretty sure, that's all the customer can do. My next one will be without a slide.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
My next one will be without a slide.
With ya!
Old 06-01-2023, 09:54 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

What is the scope of the 2108 ds FLX slide issue?

Recalls are required by NTSB for potential hazardous situations.
Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) are issued by manufacturers to address known issues which may cause non hazardous failures. I do not believe they are required.
And then their are “known issues” basically sub par performance but not hazardous.

Lippert has issued a TSB for their “Inverted Gear Rack In-Wall Slide-Out System manufactured between October 2021 and January 2022”
In their words “to address the concern of the increased frequency of Schwintek slide systems becoming inoperable in the identified time frame.”

Oct 2021 to Jan 6 2022
“The primary cause has been determined to be damage to the guide shoe located within the slide mechanism. This can lead to premature system wear and in some cases reaching the point of rendering the system inoperable. While there are multiple contributing factors that can cause this to happen, we have identified a period between October 2021 and January 2022 when inconsistent handling at the Lippert production facility may have caused damage to some shoes. In addition to implementing corrective actions during the assembly process, Lippert made a design improvement to the shoe to provide additional strength. Systems that were subject to damage during this time may be more prone to breakage under certain conditions.”

There seems to be a cluster of 2108 slide failures occurring with the FLX model.
The failures seem to be associated with the “front” (TV side) of the slide room, and the lower end of the H Column assembly.
There also seems to be a cluster of failures where the H Column pulls away from the wall of the trailer.
These failures may be related, one causing, or contributing, to the other.
A large proportion of those reported have occurred with units corresponding to the timeframe of the Lippert TSB.

Curious about a couple of things,…
Are the pre FLX 2108s known for having slide issues?
Is there really a cluster of above normal slide failures occurring? Seems like there is.
Is the cluster isolated to the Lippert TSB time frame (Oct 2021 to jan 6 2022)?
What are the specific failure symptoms noted in the failed parts?

Probably not enough time to know if repairs have prevented future problems?

Our failure-
Build was post TSB time period.
Failure was the lower rack of the fixed (non float) side of slide room. (TV side)
No pull out of the H Column.
Failure symptoms included lower slide block fixed rivet snapped. Gouges inside of the lower racks top slide track. Aluminum filings in block. Some gouging of track gear.

- steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4012.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	186200  
Old 06-01-2023, 12:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoSteve View Post
Our failure-
Build was post TSB time period.
Failure was the lower rack of the fixed (non float) side of slide room. (TV side)
No pull out of the H Column.
Failure symptoms included lower slide block fixed rivet snapped. Gouges inside of the lower racks top slide track. Aluminum filings in block. Some gouging of track gear.

- steve
uh oh. hearing others starting to have slide out issues with he 2108 FLX is concerning. How many times did you use it before these issues started to happen?
Old 06-01-2023, 02:17 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
How many times did you use it before these issues started to happen?
We only took 5 trips last season, mostly just shake down and familiarity trips.
But we keep the trailer on our property and have operated the slide many many times with no discernible issues. When it went bad it went fast from the first change in sound and sluggish operation, to immobility was quick. The mobile tech who came out to look at it quickly stated it needed to be replaced.

The Lippert TSB really doesn’t state what the specific failure is, and our H Column sticker indicates that the build date was 3/2022 (outside the TSB) but the symptoms seen on the failed parts sure seem like what would be expected from the failure they describe.

I think what we all want to know is can we be confident in slide operation going forward. Warranty coverage is nice, but identifying root cause, and addressing it, is essential for customer confidence.

- Steve
Old 06-01-2023, 04:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
when I finally called Lippert directly they informed me they make the Schwintek parts to order and could ship them overnight to me the next day.
Yep thats what they told our mobile tech, and it still took 3 wks.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:37 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoSteve View Post
We only took 5 trips last season, mostly just shake down and familiarity trips.
But we keep the trailer on our property and have operated the slide many many times with no discernible issues. When it went bad it went fast from the first change in sound and sluggish operation, to immobility was quick. The mobile tech who came out to look at it quickly stated it needed to be replaced.

The Lippert TSB really doesn’t state what the specific failure is, and our H Column sticker indicates that the build date was 3/2022 (outside the TSB) but the symptoms seen on the failed parts sure seem like what would be expected from the failure they describe.

I think what we all want to know is can we be confident in slide operation going forward. Warranty coverage is nice, but identifying root cause, and addressing it, is essential for customer confidence.

- Steve
Oh, so you *did* get yours repaired, eh? How long was the gap between the initial phone call and a tech doing the repair? We got ours from Bill Eads in Davis, CA but I know they have a service location in Rocklin too.

Just thinking ahead in case anything goes wonky with ours.
Old 06-02-2023, 03:12 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Jim (marine359)-

Do you have any recommendations or insight with regards to dinette useage? Weight limit? Siting it when retracted? Etc.

Also any thoughts regarding frequency of slide failures on pre FLX models. I don’t see any alarming warnings, threads or posts?

Thanks,
- steve
Old 06-02-2023, 04:23 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Sitting in dinette with slide retracted is a definite no no, per Lippert and Winnebago. The weight of a couple of people while slide is retracted can stress the components. I didn’t know this at first. Learned on the forum. Now, we limit weight to a couple hundred pounds or less under the dinette.
Old 06-02-2023, 04:32 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

None of us pre-Covid reported any major slide failures except o e. Don’t remember who it was. Seems slide issue is new to 2022-2023 FLX.

Tags
slide, slideout