Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-09-2022, 04:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Minnie 2801BHS Lots of Problems

Hello, new to the Winnebago campers but have had many new campers in the past. I understand their will be minor issues with a new camper and I'm ok with that. Few minor things like shower wasn't caulked, doors need adjusted, fresh water tank had to be replaced, mising bumper caps, tv hung crooked. One major issue was that the hot water heater was not working on electric. When I pulled the inspection panels I found the plug for it dangling next to the live wire running from the fuse box without an outlet installed . Window leaks first time camping in the rain. AC has to be cycled to get it to kick back on occasionally, solar panel reads an error code and does not work. Wondering if this stuff is typical for Winnebago or if we just got a bad one. Problem is the dealership (Bish's RV in Urbana, IA) nor the reps from Winnebago we have contacted seem to care. Thanks for any insight or help.
IowaSSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 05:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hello - Sorry to hear about your experience thus far. I can only speak to our experience which has been positive. Our 2529RG was built in June this year and delivered shortly after. We had a few minor cosmetic things like you mentioned, but nothing like the tank failure, AC, water heater, TV mount, or solar problems. Stating the obvious, no way Bish's could have done a thorough systems check prior to delivery.
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 02:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I know it’s kinda like water under the bridge, but many problems can be avoided by getting a thorough PDI prior to taking delivery. If during PDI, I noticed the tv not mounted properly, the water heater not working on ac power, missing any pieces or parts, I would not have taken delivery. Before delivery, all problems belong to the dealer. After delivery you own the camper and it’s problems. Of course, if they’re a reputable dealer, I would hope that Bish’s would get you back in early for warranty repairs.

If Bish does the warranty work promptly, all the rest of the stuff really isn’t that severe. It’s a weekend with caulk gun and water hose, and some sleuthing of all the systems. Winnebago build quality just isn’t good enough that most new owners aren’t going to have some issues. My problem count was 7 when I got home from delivery. Then some more serious stuff within a year, like broken toilet, and fridge falling out of its cabinet. Some easy, some hard DIY fixes, but what I’ve come to expect over 40 years of owning various types and brands of rvs.

I try to tell people thinking of buying an rv: “Don’t do it if you don’t want to fix things. You won’t be a happy camper”.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We bought a COVID-era 2801bhs as well and have and a number of issues. There were a couple build issues that the selling dealer resolved: gap between the bedside table and wall, belt skirt was only screwed in every 12 inches and quickly started to gap from the side of the camper, the awning light failed almost immediately and only works when it wants to, lower bunk gouged wall when folded up/down and would not lock into place, the bathroom door moulding "bowed" enough (bunk/door handle) side) that you could see into the bathroom with the door closed and it did not always stay shut), and probably some others. But the worst thing that happened was... the dealer damaged the trailer between purchase and delivery. They keep their lot pretty tight, and someone was moving trailers without a spotter. This resulted in a deep (through the clear coat) scratch/gouge on the "street side" of the camper that ran from the front corner trim back along the bedroom wall and 1/2 way through the bedroom window. They did, ultimately, fix this issue (including replacing the window), but their fix resulted in an "automotive" glossy finish in that area that stands out against the orange peel texture of the rest of the camper.

Originally, the dealer (though accepting responsibility immediately) was reluctant to fix. And suggested that they could provide me a "real" weight distribution hitch (vs the Andersen that I had purchased).
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems