Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-16-2022, 08:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Solar on the Side w/ Factory Roof Panel

I'm attempting to understand if the "solar on the side" connection on the new Micro Minnies goes to the existing solar charge controller or is it just wired directly to the battery? Seems like any of the GoPower branded portable panels branded for this use include their own controller... which would make me think the port is just wired to the battery.

The factory controller is 30A rated so plenty of capacity with just one 190 watt panel on the roof.

Going to find some time soon to call Winnebago to get some wiring diagrams but figured someone might know the answer here.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Well, I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know how to test for it:

Put a voltmeter on the terminals to the connection, presumably an SAE connector. If you get something like 12-14 volts, it is connected directly to the batteries. If you read zero, then it is either not connected to anything or connected as the only source to a solar controller. If you measure 15+ volts then it is probably connected in parallel with the solar panel on the roof to the input of the solar controller.

With a 30A PWM solar controller, I would expect the latter.

David
Old 02-16-2022, 11:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

File it under "why didn't I think of that"... ha.

Getting 23.9 volts at the plug so definitely connected to the roof panel.

So I should be able to get another similarly spec'd panel and go directly to the side port. Now to determine the specs of the existing panel...

Edit: Assuming I have this panel on my roof: https://gpelectric.com/products/high...-solar-module/
Old 02-16-2022, 11:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hmmm... not sure what happened to my reply, so let's try again.

I'm seeing 23.9 volts so it must be connected to the roof panel. So, from what I have read, I should be able to connect a similarly spec'd panel directly to the port.

98% sure I have this panel on the roof: https://gpelectric.com/products/high...-solar-module/

Seems like the simplest option might be to get 1 or 2 more of the same panel and make my own "portable" panels. Storage while traveling isn't a huge concern for me at the moment, so I'd rather go for the most efficient setup electrically speaking.
Old 02-16-2022, 12:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I agree with DavidM’s diagnostic approach. However, my guess is that side port is connected directly to the batteries (simple, cheap, and traditional). Let us know what you figure out.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 01:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I just purchased a 1708FB. My side solar is wired through the solar charger to the batteries.
Gunny Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV_Camper View Post
Hmmm... not sure what happened to my reply, so let's try again.

I'm seeing 23.9 volts so it must be connected to the roof panel. So, from what I have read, I should be able to connect a similarly spec'd panel directly to the port.

98% sure I have this panel on the roof: https://gpelectric.com/products/high...-solar-module/

Seems like the simplest option might be to get 1 or 2 more of the same panel and make my own "portable" panels. Storage while traveling isn't a huge concern for me at the moment, so I'd rather go for the most efficient setup electrically speaking.
I guess my earlier posts had to be moderated...

Tags
panel, roof, solar