Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-16-2023, 04:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Possible to winter in a 2018 Micro Minnie 2106FBS?

The Micro Minnies didn't have the four season builds in 2018. Even now "four seasons" is dubious, from my reading.

But, is it possible to winter in a 2018 Micro Minnie FBS in a fixed location with water, sewer, electric hookups? The location would be southeast Pennsylvania.

I'm wondering if putting skirting around the bottom and some form of safe heater underneath would do the trick. Winters have been milder, but that's no promise, of course.

Or, put in the same mods that the current four season models have?
Diver4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 08:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I’d say it will be tough sledding. We’ve done shoulder season in the Rockies with nighttime ambients in the teens. But we only did it for a week at a time. I really don’t think there’s such an animal as a Four season Micro Minnie. All are 3 season RVs. You can’t make a silk purse from a sow’s ear.

MMs are pretty well insulated both under-carriage, and sidewall, which is thicker foam than other TTs. It will keep you warm until your propane runs out, which will happen in just a few days of furnace use. If you have FHU, you can use an ac heater, but if you don’t have tank heaters, your tanks will freeze. Even with electric hookups, you can use electric heaters to stay warm, but you’ll need some way to heat the underside. If wintering for a long period, people say use skirts and incandescent lights under the camper. Your city water must be disconnected. You’ll have to use water from your fresh water tank using your water pump, and have a way to refill as needed. The fresh tank must be heated as well (ours is not). You’ll also need to keep the hot water tank heated when not in use, so leave the HWH switched to the ac position, and run a bit of hot water through the system frequently. You will need some way to vacate moisture from the camper. This was the biggest problem for us. Open windows, turn on exhaust fans, get cold and seal up again. How will you empty waste tanks. I suppose, if you have FHU, you can buy an ac dehumidifier and put it in the shower pan. If waste tanks are heated, you’re golden. But if not, they will freeze and you’ll have fun watching your toilet back up. I don’t know if 2018 Micro Minnie’s came standard with tank heaters. If not, they’re cheap and easy to install. It will be really important that they don’t freeze. Because if they do, you won’t be able to dump them. You may have to put some form of temporary heating under the waste valves before attempting to dump, or you run the risk of breaking the valves.

Having done this for a few short weeks, with no skirting, I wouldn’t want to wish this on anybody. Wintering can be done, but you will suffer.
Old 09-17-2023, 11:04 AM   #3
Site Team

Hi Diver4242,
An interesting thought experiment. Total cost for the items below = $1,788. The skirting is the big expense item.
Thanks, Eagle5
  1. Camco 25-Foot Heated Drinking Water Hose $110
  2. EZ-SNAP RV Skirting Kit $1,399
  3. SIKADEER RV Vent Insulator (two) $30
  4. Dehumidifier, ToLife Dehumidifiers for Room, 95 OZ Water Tank, (950 sq.ft) $90
  5. Davis Air-Dryer 1000 (2 Pack) (for under the trailer; about 130 watts each) $159
Old 09-20-2023, 07:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I lived in my 2019 Micro Minnie full time until December 30 of last year in upstate NY. I cut pieces of 1.5 inch insulation and taped it on with aluminum tape. I also put a ceramic heater underneath on a 24 hour timer. I put a wireless thermometer underneath so I could monitor the temp. We had a very cold stretch last December. My daughter called me and asked me why so many people had their water freeze in their homes, but I was toasty warm with no issue? It worked really well.
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 08:17 PM   #5
Site Team

Hi Anna,
That is a great idea to have a wireless thermometer under the trailer. Was the 1½" insulation a rigid foam board? Did you keep City Water flowing with heated hose, or did you just hook-up a hose to fill the fresh water tank, drain the hose & store it, and then pump internally?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 09-20-2023, 10:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

The insulation was a rigid foam board. I cut it with a hand held hack saw. I did not have full hook up. I used a hose from the home I was set-up near to fill my fresh water tank, and a macerator pump to pump to the home's septic system. I kept all hoses underneath the camper. I cut a hole in the insulation and installed a flapping door made out of insulation that covered the hole. You just want to make sure there is no wind. That is what make things freeze.
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 08:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Interesting topic, I learned some good tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I lived in my 2019 Micro Minnie full time until December 30 of last year in upstate NY. I cut pieces of 1.5 inch insulation and taped it on with aluminum tape. I also put a ceramic heater underneath on a 24 hour timer. I put a wireless thermometer underneath so I could monitor the temp. We had a very cold stretch last December. My daughter called me and asked me why so many people had their water freeze in their homes, but I was toasty warm with no issue? It worked really well.
Interesting topic, I learned some good tips!
Kelly k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 05:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Airskirts?

Thanks for the great tips! Has anyone tried the airskirts.com products? Expensive but they look like a good option?
Diver4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 06:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Winter

Your topic will get lots of opinions. I have camped in Colorado in -18, next day -14 then warming trend to zero degrees. It can be miserable. I was using a small electric heater and Wave 3 propane heater. I could keep it at 55 degrees but had turned off fresh water pump and had a trouble light under compartment to keep it warmer. I had a 20 amp hookup so couldn’t turn on my black tank heater. I flushed the toilet by bottle of mixed antifreeze and water. It wasn’t fun but doable. The hardest part is the moisture developing inside from the propane and keeping the floor warm. Hooking up to water is risky. Better to just fill your water tank when needed. If you put heaters underneath your holding tanks they will draw considerable amperage. If you can get a good electrical hookup that will help. Good luck. I would never do it again at those temperatures.
Travato John
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

If you do go the heated hose route, make sure you wrap something around the connection, even if it is just a blanket. The exposed connection will freeze as well. Don't run your water pump if you think that bay froze. They don't like ice and you'll likely have to replace it...

Tags
winter