Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-04-2020, 07:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Replacement For Bright Interior LED Lights?

Has anyone found a suitable replacement for the LED interior lighting? I find it way too bright. I'd like something that is either dimmable or has two settings of brightness.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If you’re handy with a solder gun it’s fairly painless.
took the internals out and replaced it with strips of this (about 3 inch or so in rows of two)

Also the color...went warm white instead of the hospital white.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00HSF...b_b_asin_image

I did not remove the fixtures, replaced the internals and did soldering still mounted in the ceiling.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMinnie View Post
If you’re handy with a solder gun it’s fairly painless.
Unfortunately I'm not even pathetic at soldering. I'd need to improve a lot to be pathetic at it, and it's not for lack of trying--I tried a lot in my younger years. With anything electronic I'd probably not only cook it, but the connection would probably fail too!
Old 09-05-2020, 10:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Do you know for sure they're not dimmable? If they are, installing an appropriate dimmer is much cheaper and less work.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:09 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Do you know for sure they're not dimmable? If they are, installing an appropriate dimmer is much cheaper and less work.
I don't know, but that's an interesting thought. One is controlled by a switch near the control panel, and another by a switch in the bathroom that is apparently designed to fool buyers into thinking that the water pump is on a three way switch.

The layout of the one by the control panel was apparently designed by a GM engineer. The switch for the interior light is on the far left and the switch for the awning light is on to the right of it--away from the awning. I was just telling the wife this week that I should reverse those, and installing a dimmer would be the opportunity to do that. Also the bathroom is one place I need a dimmer because I don't really need a bright light at 4 a.m. when I am just trying to make sure I hit the toilet!

I'll give this one a try. It's the right shape.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-05-2020, 10:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Good luck with the dimmer. We just use a night light in the bathroom. If it's too distracting, you can get something that's motion activated.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Good luck with the dimmer. We just use a night light in the bathroom. If it's too distracting, you can get something that's motion activated.
I'm not always hooked up to power, but the 4 a.m. thing is not my primary focus. It's just that that happens to be one of the two places with wall switches.

My primary focus is just living in the trailer when it's dark out. Even having any one light on is way too bright. I can pull the privacy shade and use the one over the bed, but that doesn't help when you're lying on the bed.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

There are 19 shock white ceiling bubble lights inside a 2021 2701RBS. Way overkill. I can light the whole neighborhood if the blinds are open
Old 09-05-2020, 12:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberian View Post
There are 19 shock white ceiling bubble lights inside a 2021 2701RBS. Way overkill. I can light the whole neighborhood if the blinds are open
Wow. I though was just complaining about having one light on. I can't imagine what it would be like with 19 lights on!
Old 09-09-2020, 04:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via MSN to e4services
look for 3000-4000K replacements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Has anyone found a suitable replacement for the LED interior lighting? I find it way too bright. I'd like something that is either dimmable or has two settings of brightness.
I am not going to read the responses, but LEDs come in different "Temperatures", a description of the color of light they produce. Regular bulbs were described as "cold", "cool" , "natural" and "warm". A filament bulb, incandescent, was "warm" or in temp terms "3000K".
If you can replace you LED 'bulb' , look for 3000-4000K replacements, you will be MUCH happier. 6000K is harsh light
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4services View Post
If you can replace you LED 'bulb' , look for 3000-4000K replacements, you will be MUCH happier. 6000K is harsh light
In addition to trying a dimmer switch I'm also installing two of these. 3 different color choices and three different brightnesses. By the end of next week I should be able to report back on both projects.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Water pump switch

I can control my water pump from any one of 4 switches !
Quote:
I don't know, but that's an interesting thought. One is controlled by a switch near the control panel, and another by a switch in the bathroom that is apparently designed to fool buyers into thinking that the water pump is on a three way switch.

The layout of the one by the control panel was apparently designed by a GM engineer. The switch for the interior light is on the far left and the switch for the awning light is on to the right of it--away from the awning. I was just telling the wife this week that I should reverse those, and installing a dimmer would be the opportunity to do that. Also the bathroom is one place I need a dimmer because I don't really need a bright light at 4 a.m. when I am just trying to make sure I hit the toilet!

I'll give this one a try. It's the right shape.

Tom Ficca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I have three led lights over our sofa in our Winnebago Sightseer 35G, I just replaced the switch with a dimmer switch, works great.
greyeagleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ficca View Post
I can control my water pump from any one of 4 switches !
I'd be happy with two. I don't tend to leave the pump on, so having to remember to turn it on before walking back to the bathroom is a small PITA (because it's only about 15 feet).
Old 09-09-2020, 09:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Buy a pack of colored theater light gels on ebay. Cut them out. Some warm light, some colored or whatever. Perfect for me with no bulbs replaced on an 1808
skisurfbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:48 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Here's one option

https://smile.amazon.com/ALOVECO-car...9709574&sr=8-6
There are also several options on Amazon that provide "warm white" LED lights.

Quote:
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:51 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
It may not be an option in USA but in the UK there are different whites for LED lamps. We have white, cool white, warm white etc. Change the lamps?
Ice-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:11 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I just love this discussion.... I got fed up with all the 20 watt halogen lights in my Via and replaced them with dimmable LEDs from SuperbrightLEDs

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...le/5685/13033/

This cut the wattage from 20 watts per fixture and some very HOT ceiling lights to only 1.4 watts per fixture. These LEDs are dimmable. There are also some that will manage color changing if that's your thing. I have two dimmers to install; one for each that are over the bed headboard as those were always harsh and too bright for evening reading. Both were factory wired in parallel to come on by the same switch and would shine down on both pillows when I might like to read while the Mrs. wants to rest. The existing switch simply feeds the + to both lights which share a common - back to the 12 volt panel/ground. I've dropped the lights and switch to check wiring and see that it's possible to manage some rewiring to make my idea work out.
Not for a novice but if you understand 12 volt wiring it's a fun challenge.
Geosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #19
2020 1706FB Owner

Are you saying that the switch fits in place of the redundant Winnebago switch? So from the trailer does it look the same?
Glen 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:46 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen 3 View Post
Are you saying that the switch fits in place of the redundant Winnebago switch? So from the trailer does it look the same?
I don't know yet. I was planning on installing today, but with our smoke it's not healthy to go do that. It will have to wait until next week sometime.

I will report back on how both work once I've tried them.

Tags
ace, led, light, lights, replace, replacement