Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-12-2022, 07:39 AM   #1
blubugger

Eliminating possible problem on Micro Minnie Slideout

Early on when we acquired our 2106ds, the 1st thing I noticed as the sales person demonstrated the operation of the sideout was the cabinet door above the TV had standard hinges and a snap latch.

The obvious problem I saw was that if the door wasnt closed tight, there was a possibilty that the door could be open, perhaps during travel an be hidden behind the slideout facia. Then, unless the operator had a "checklist" to ensure that the door was closed and latched, opration of the slideout could result in damage to the slideout mechanism.
A simple fix is to replace those stock hinges with spring-loaded ones, remove the snap latch so that even if the door is open, will close automatically, even when underway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB3FC1ED-230B-457C-BFFD-EEE899D0E816.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	181985  
Blubugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 09:59 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Without a snap latch, movement of items inside the cabnet could push the door open.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 03:39 PM   #3
blubugger

I only place light items like loaves of bread, bags of chips or the like (plastic cups etc). The whole point is that at least on our 2106ds that cabinet door could, for whatever reason, be open and as the slideout is extended if we werent paying attention...would twist the slide assembly or break the fine looking facia.
An ounce of prevention...also, the issue is when the slideout is in, that door is pretty much hidden by the slideut facia and with the spring hinge in place, it always returns the door to closed position and away from any interference.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:09 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I like how you’re thinking ahead of an issue, rather than solving a mishap later…

I added these for problematic doors/cabinets…
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FC382760-F1F0-481F-A340-60F66FA71965.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	181999  
Old 02-12-2022, 05:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

It’s definitely a potential problem. We had a drawer that presented a similar problem in our fifth-wheel. We just made it standard procedure to check the drawer position visually before opening the slide.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:05 PM   #6
blubugger

Indeed.....and if ya ever worked around aircraft....red flags etc that are marked...."remove before flight"
Old 02-12-2022, 07:53 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubugger View Post
Early on when we acquired our 2106ds, the 1st thing I noticed as the sales person demonstrated the operation of the sideout was the cabinet door above the TV had standard hinges and a snap latch.

The obvious problem I saw was that if the door wasnt closed tight, there was a possibilty that the door could be open, perhaps during travel an be hidden behind the slideout facia. Then, unless the operator had a "checklist" to ensure that the door was closed and latched, opration of the slideout could result in damage to the slideout mechanism.
A simple fix is to replace those stock hinges with spring-loaded ones, remove the snap latch so that even if the door is open, will close automatically, even when underway.
Interesting, when I saw Winnebago had redesigned that area in later models and moved the radio to the upper cabinet, it didn't occur to me that they created a potential problem. I thought that was a good idea because they provided additional storage in the lower cabinet. Ours is the original design with the radio in the lower cabinet. Our upper cabinet door and handle extend beyond the closed slide so there's no chance of interference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190208_164319.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	182008  
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:11 AM   #8
blubugger

Bike Transport in Micro Minnies

Fred, I am amazed at your photo of what appears to be 'bents' and possibly other bikes stashed away for transport inside the 2106. It appears that you have fashioned a table [?] or some other frame that the bikes are strapped to? What happens when you reach your destination? How does all that reassemble?

Just curious. Early on, I transported two bikes inside, on the bed. That was relatively simple compared to transporting Bents and whatnot.
Very interesting!
Old 02-14-2022, 10:23 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Fred, I am amazed at your photo of what appears to be 'bents' and possibly other bikes stashed away for transport inside the 2106. It appears that you have fashioned a table [?] or some other frame that the bikes are strapped to? What happens when you reach your destination? How does all that reassemble?

Just curious. Early on, I transported two bikes inside, on the bed. That was relatively simple compared to transporting Bents and whatnot.
Very interesting!
What did I miss? Bents? Bikes? Where? What's a Bent?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:56 AM   #10
blubugger

'Bent' is a term of endearment used by bicyclists for recumbent bicycles...and is easie to say.
Bents are, depending on the model, easier to pedal, have a more comfortable position and many are longer, lower in stance but can be heavier than typical bicycles. I have had a couple. One was quirky but fun to ride, the other was fast downhill, but a bugger uphill.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Thanks, but where are the photos?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:02 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

Very interesting!
I believe this is the post you are asking about.

Yes, I fashioned a two-piece removable stand so we can carry our two Catrike Villager recumbent trikes, that I transformed into etrikes, strapped down in the slide room. All we need to do is remove the wheels and fold down the seat backs, which we do outside using a portable workstand that I fashioned years ago for working on recumbent trikes.

When we get to our destination, I set up the portable workstand outside and reinstall the wheels and lock the etrikes up in the double trike carrier we carry in the receiver hitch of the camper. We also fashioned covers out of 5'x7' tarps for each etrike for when they are stored on the carrier.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:04 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Thanks, but where are the photos?
Bob, see the post I linked above. It has the pictures.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:14 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Here's a better picture of the two-piece removable stand and the etrikes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210323_113434.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	182022  
Old 02-15-2022, 09:45 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Here’s the good news. If the door opens in transit, it’s contents will spill out onto the floor and dinette, and it’ll be the first thing you notice when you enter the trailer before you need to operate the slide. We have the newer spring latch, and it has opened in-transit, spilling stuff out. So now we wedge stuff in there.
Old 02-16-2022, 04:12 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

2106DS

So we have a 2106DS. We store outdoor lanterns and batteries in there. We have never had a problem. We are diligent in checking everything before we open/close slides tho. I’m so anal about it that I have a laminated checklist for buttoning things up😂.
Create routines for yourself and don’t sway from them and you will be fine.
JoshBap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:59 AM   #17
blubugger

A checkist, like the "remove before flight" tags of aircraft preparations is essential.
Early on, not having a checklist for our 2106, we hit the road for a week of happy camping, getting outside in thecol pines and while underway my better half said someting looked like it was 'flapping' on her passenger side.
A pullout on the busy freeway showed that in my haste I neglectedto latch the forward compartment door. Thankfully, nothing was lost, and more importantly, nothing flew out on that busy highway. You never know how other drivers may react if something flies out at them going 65+ mph!
So checklist for travel and leaving the abode is essetial.
Old 12-31-2023, 12:05 PM   #18
Navy NFO 78

2020 Slide out pulling off exterior trailer wall

Anyone experience having the slide out pulling out the frame screws from the trailer wall, leaving a .25in gap for water intrusion when driving? I've had it repaired twice by Winnebago maintenance. First time, they put larger rivets in... for the rivet heads to break off. This last 'fix' they put oversized hex bolts in. I'm not convinced the fix is the issue.

I believe when the rig is traveling down thru construction sites on I-95 and jostling around that the slide out is acting like a canteliver beam and flexing up/down on the inside free beams; thus, flexing the wall frame from the lower edge.

Thoughts???

Carl Reiber
2020 Minnie Winnie 2108DS
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.8L
reiberc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 01:37 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Navy NFO, P-3 Orion?
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 02:06 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Carl,
The slide, made by Lippert, is indeed cantilevered when it is in. This is why Lippert tells you not to sit in the slide while it’s in. Too much weight can damage the mounting, as the slide will want to tilt. I think it’s designed to carry only 150# while it’s in. The leading edge of the slide (on the inside) is totally unsupported. BTW: All other brands TT brands with Lippert slides are made the same way (90% of the market). We never had a problem with our slide, and we’ve probably driven way too many miles on I-95 through South Carolina. Many other things shook loose, like the fridge and the fresh water tank, but the slide survived. We just sold our 2108DS, but if we had decided to keep it, we would definitely install a DIY fix for the slide leading edge. You can actually buy flip down supports for the slide, but I think it’s a pretty easy DIY to cut a couple of pieces of 2x4 braces and mount them on hinges to the bottom of the slide near the leading edge. Flip up the braces and secure with latch before putting out the slide. Good luck. Hope your slide holds up until then.

Edit: don’t remember if the above solution I would interfere with slide going all the way out. If it does, you could mount the flip down braces on the outside of the leading edge.

Tags
slide, slideout