Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2020, 08:10 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

There are some Goodride tires with higher speed ratings than what mine came with, but I looked up the speed rating for my model and it was 65. ST is just the service rating--trailer, which is important for other reasons, particularly tandem axle trailers.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:35 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Okay, that illuminating info helps for sure, Goodspike. Many thanks.

You did start another rabbit hole for me, though - ST designation and tandem axle trailers (all I've ever pulled for some reason) are linked how? Is more sidewall strength required to deal with sway control? Or something else?

And, thanks again for putting up with someone who hasn't towed a travel trailer since Holiday Rambler was making the good ones - 50 years or so. :-)

Bob
Old 08-19-2020, 09:01 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout One View Post
You did start another rabbit hole for me, though - ST designation and tandem axle trailers (all I've ever pulled for some reason) are linked how? Is more sidewall strength required to deal with sway control? Or something else?
It's something about the forces put on the sidewalls as the trailer changes direction. Basically there's a friction there and unusual sidewall action. I even saw a triple axle trailer once where the third axle would lift up for parking type movements.

Not everyone agrees that's an issue though, but ST tires are designed differently.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:18 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2108DS I bought two months ago, and the tires are Trail Guides made in Vietnam. The size is A/P 235/75R15 105S, and from what I can tell they are SUV tires used on Jeep SUV's.

I have put about 1k miles on the tires since I bought it and the guy I bought the camper from only used it 4 times for short local trips, so I'm not sure of the total miles. But, I've had no issues and they're much better quality and more beefy than the tires on my old E-Pro.

I think as long as I don't over-load them, keep an eye on the pressure and don't drive like a bat outta hell they will be fine for a couple years.
Just Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:45 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Thanks for the reply.That’s what I was really wanting to hear was people’s experience with these tires. I hate to replace them immediately without some evidence that they are prone to blowouts in a short period of time. I hope some others will post on their experience with these tires. In the next 12 months I may put 5 to 6 thousand mile max.
Being that you have dual axles on your rig...I would not replace them at all. I would get the full tread life and $$$ value out of 'em. You have a tandem T.T. You are already in the safest zone where tires rotate...the rubber meets the road times two, on either side!!!

If you do suffer a blow out...on axles rated to handle 3,500 pounds...you are laughing...just safely pull over...and slap on the spare. Your other inflated tire on the flat or out-right blow out side will EASILY carry you over, or to the next cut off or service plaza, whatever. Why people are rushing out to replace their dual axle O.E.M. tires is a ?!?!?!?!? for me. If your rig had a single axle..absolutely...for the loss of either side, could cause you devastating loss of control.

Blowing out, or running 'thump_thump' flat, on a dual axle tandem T.T. is no big deal at all...that's why one should always try to afford or spec a T.T. with dual axles.. You will always have a fully inflated tire on the flat or blow-out side to maintain control. For myself I would never buy a T.T. with only a single axle. If it were a pop-up...of course...they only come that way, with them being lighter weight, and center-of-gravity lower to the ground.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:55 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
<clip> My question is how reliable are the tires. <clip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Seeker View Post
<clip> If you do suffer a blow out...on axles rated to handle 3,500 pounds...you are laughing...just safely pull over...and slap on the spare. Your other inflated tire on the flat or out-right blow out side will EASILY carry you over, or to the next cut off or service plaza, whatever. <clip>
From reading about tire failure on other forums, I understand there are two issues:
  1. In the instance of tread separation (a common occurrence for tire failure), significant damage can be done to the trailer wheel well and perchance other areas of the trailer's carcass.
  2. When one tire catastrophically fails, the other tires pick up the load and could suffer damage (while not immediately obvious) from an overweight situation, leading to subsequent failure in the not-too-distant future.
A TPMS would provide some indication of tire failure, hopefully in time for you to pull over and prevent catastrophic failure and damage to the other tires or trailer itself. Proper inflation, not overloading the tires, and driving within the design speed limits of the tire are all factors that impact tire lifetime.

Whatever you decide, safe travels.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:13 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
From reading about tire failure on other forums, I understand there are two issues:
  1. In the instance of tread separation (a common occurrence for tire failure), significant damage can be done to the trailer wheel well and perchance other areas of the trailer's carcass.
  2. When one tire catastrophically fails, the other tires pick up the load and could suffer damage (while not immediately obvious) from an overweight situation, leading to subsequent failure in the not-too-distant future.
A TPMS would provide some indication of tire failure, hopefully in time for you to pull over and prevent catastrophic failure and damage to the other tires or trailer itself. Proper inflation, not overloading the tires, and driving within the design speed limits of the tire are all factors that impact tire lifetime.

Whatever you decide, safe travels.
Nothing above to disagree with! The thing I wanted to suggest is, that if, as you suggest, an owner executes, always, due diligence..and checks the tire pressure as well as visually inspect each tire carcass and tread condition/depth...that will go such a long way to avoid any of what you mention could occur. My point, truly was to say that a tandem axle with a 3,500 pound carry, meaning that the tire spec's upon that axle must meet that single tire load capability...that if there is/was a flat or blow out...the owners will not suffer a possible pitch and sway of their trailer, which could put them in the ditch on their sides, or worse.

For myself...after a visible inspection any time before those tires next rotate...makes me feel most comfortable to run my O.E.M tire set, to the just before the wear bars. The greatest and most effective thing one can do...is to always make sure, your tires are at full PSI, (cold!)...for it is side wall flex and heat generated by tread scrub that equates 99 percent of the time, to be the culprit for complete tire carcass failure...and not so much, the manufactured specs (which must meet minimum safety and governmental requirements for even such as Winnebago (and their insurers!) to mount them in the first place.

Folks...keep your O.E.M.'s...get your money out of the set...keep them fully inflated...inspect (bend the knee) before the next turning of the wheels...make sure you re-torque your tire mount (so no wobble or run always...) and feel confident as you leave your drive way or the camping site. Simple..really.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:02 PM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

One comment to add is if you are going to be using TPMS add ons, you should probably upgrade to metal stems from what I have been reading. I think part of any trip prep to and from the campground should be a tire pressure check, whether manual or monitored.

I just got my 2020 2306BHs so it came with the ATs. It's sitting at my uncles house waiting to be towed to mine. We had a look at the numbers on the side of the tire: 235/75/R15 109S XL.

The first three are sizing, the 109S tells me they are rated for 112MPH (S) and 2271lb load rating(109). The XL is for the extra reinforcement they have over other tires of the same size. Here is a helpful link:

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...e-descriptions

With those ratings I think I will just monitor tire pressure and examine the tire before every trip and we are good to go.
runCMD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires