Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-11-2020, 08:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 7
Smile Boondocking in Minnie Trailers

I am considering purchasing a 2201 MB with Extreme Weather package. I plan to add Lithium Batteries and 400 watts of solar with 2000 or 3000 watt inverter.

I am not so much worried about the power but we will be full-timing and boondocking most of the time.

I am worried about the small tanks (fresh, grey, black), the single pane windows and just the overall insulation of the rig along with the trailer suspension (no shocks on wheels).

anyone have any experience boondocking with this model or other minnies in temps down to 0 Fahrenheit? Also just ability to stay more than a couple days with small tanks, and any issues with suspension?

I have looked at other manufacturers that might be better for this type camping but we really want the outside kitchen this model has and we like the layout inside and the weight. very few travel trailers have outdoor kitchens.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Randy Northrop
Randyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper
 
09busaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 31
If we are careful, we can make 3 days with our 1708FB, which looks to have the same tanks as the one you are looking at. We boondock with ours, but have an outside kitchen we used when we were out in a roof top tent. I also tow with a Tacoma so we tried to find a balance of amenities versus weight and we feel we did that. It is also the reason we opted for a model without a slide.

For cold weather, I think WB hit the mark, our camper will heat just fine but our space is a little smaller than your model, insulated floors and enclosed tanks. The only thing I could mention is the bathroom gets a little chillier than the rest of the camper.

For that model, if you decide to get it, see about raising it up for more ground clearance or look for one with the Explorer package? I think that is the name of it. Larger wheels with all terrain tires and a 2 inch lift. My hitch height is 26".

Also consider the length of that camper, 27ft may be hard to get to certain places.
You also mentioned full timing, I love our camper, but if we full timed I would go with something bigger and the one you are interested in may do it.
__________________
2020 Micro Minnie 1708FB
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
09busaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Master
 
Bigbird65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arlington Texas
Posts: 683
We have a 2250DS and love it. I can't advise you on boon docking issues because we don't. I do have experience with the suspension bushings. There are 14 and they are made of nylon. They are good for about 15,000 miles before they start wearing through and causing metal to metal contact. Before that happens I suggest that you replace them with Lippert Never Fail Bushings from Amazon or etrailer. It is very important to make sure your tires are balanced for best longevity on the bushings.
__________________
Ken and Joyce
2017 RAM 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 5.7 Hemi, 8 speed, 3.21, Tekonsha P3
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
Site Team
 
creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring Branch, TX
Posts: 1,718
I know this is the WBGO forum and I'm a mod here and all... but have you looked at Arctic Fox TTs? Outside of the lack of outdoor kitchen built into the side of the TT it would seem to meet all of your needs. AF does have a outdoor kitchen model but it's 28' long.

You can easily carry your "outdoor kitchen" in the back of your TV truck.

The AF 25R has all you're looking for standard and the slightly cheaper Nash 26N with optional thermal pane windows looks like a good candidate.
The 25R has :
Fresh Water Capacity (w/water heater, approx. gal.): 63
Gray Water Tank (approx. gallons): 44
Black Water Tank (approx. gallons): 35

Shock suspensions on them both, thermo windows, 3-season insulation and heated tanks.

Before we switched from TT to motorhomes we had one Nash and two Arctic Fox TTs. They were rugged, reliable, livable and well built. When we sold them they disappeared at full price in a matter of days.

Northwood MFG also owns the Outdoor RV brand of TTs and I hear they are well built and 3/4-season ready but I don't know a lot about them. the Outdoor "Backcountry" line looks right up your alley with built in solar and generators as well as 100 gal fresh and 80 gal grey/50gal blk tanks.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
creativepart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I know this is the WBGO forum and I'm a mod here and all... but have you looked at Arctic Fox TTs? Outside of the lack of outdoor kitchen built into the side of the TT it would seem to meet all of your needs. AF does have a outdoor kitchen model but it's 28' long.

You can easily carry your "outdoor kitchen" in the back of your TV truck.

The AF 25R has all you're looking for standard and the slightly cheaper Nash 26N with optional thermal pane windows looks like a good candidate.
The 25R has :
Fresh Water Capacity (w/water heater, approx. gal.): 63
Gray Water Tank (approx. gallons): 44
Black Water Tank (approx. gallons): 35

Shock suspensions on them both, thermo windows, 3-season insulation and heated tanks.

Before we switched from TT to motorhomes we had one Nash and two Arctic Fox TTs. They were rugged, reliable, livable and well built. When we sold them they disappeared at full price in a matter of days.

Northwood MFG also owns the Outdoor RV brand of TTs and I hear they are well built and 3/4-season ready but I don't know a lot about them. the Outdoor "Backcountry" line looks right up your alley with built in solar and generators as well as 100 gal fresh and 80 gal grey/50gal blk tanks.
I have looked at the AF and Nash and Outdoor RV and Lance. We really feel we will use the outdoor kitchen a lot, so want to find something that has it. Most of the other brands mentioned are heavier than the 2201mb and we only have a 1/2 ton so want to keep the weight down. to do that you need to look at shorter models and they don't have the kitchen. I will take a look at the model you mentioned but would guess it is to heavy. saw a new Minnie model that does have bigger tanks (37 fr, 28 black and 69 grey) but now kitchen.

do you know if it is possible to increase tank size on minnies? also add thermal pane windows either through Winnebago or an aftermarket? my guess is no due to room for tanks and custom windows might be a pretty penny.

Thanks for all input, really appreciated.

Randy
Randyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 44
We boondock in our 2250DS whenever possible. We are able to stay at least four days. (Weve never pushed to the absolute limit.). To extend our tankage comfortably, we bought a 21 gallon tank tote.

Weve not been out in super cold conditions, upper 20s for lows so far. The furnace kept up nicely in those temps and used about 25 or so AH overnight if I remember correctly. We have a 100 watt solar suitcase we deploy, but were often in tree cover or its just cloudy so we rely on a few hours daily runtime from our Honda 2200i generator mostly.
__________________
2019 Minnie 2250 DS
The Taj Ma Haul
Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper
 
seaninnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 7
It’s all a compromise. We love our micro Minnie with the extreme weather package but after camping in barely freezing weather we just didn’t enjoy it and wouldn’t recommend it.

You do know the outdoor kitchen is not useful in freezing weather and it’s just one more spot for pipes to freeze lol.

Being limited with your tow vehicle means you have to compromise more than if you were willing to upgrade your truck.

The brands others recommended are known for cold weather camping. While I love my micro Minnie , that is not it’s strong suit.
seaninnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 15
boondocking cold weather, high altitude

our 2018 2108DS is pretty new, but this past fall we (wife & I) boondocked for 3 segments in SW Colorado in last week Sept - first two wks Oct elevations 9200 to 10600' low temps down to low 20s. longest seg. was 4 days 3 nights. we carried 2 extra 5 gal water jugs, and added them on the evening of the 3rd day; and ended the trip just fine with fresh water to spare, and grey/black tanks approaching full. we were judicious w/water, but each took shower X2, albeit brief :-). we have a Honda 2200i (with high altitude carb jet mod) which we used to charge the on-board battery for an hour AM (charge batteries and power coffee maker and microwave) and PM, just prior to lights out for night. all systems worked just fine, with one exception that the furnace sometimes did not light on the first ignite of the electronic ignition. the furnace module (located in the A/C return air duct, ceiling) did a LOT of clicking, and the dealer (Harrison RV in Jefferson Iowa) replaced it on warranty (trailer in storage now, so we'll find out later in spring if this is fixed), BUT furnace never failed to work, though I did have to start the generator in the early AM hours a couple of times (have since replaced on-board battery with higher mA battery). the dealer set the trailer suspension to it's highest level as part of our purchase agreement (agree with another post stating this is an easy thing, and dealer should be able to accomplish in <1hr). Our bathroom has it's own furnace duct, coming directly off the furnace, so it's the warmest place in the trailer :-). the subfloor is ducted from the furnace as well, so tanks all enclosed - no problems at all with this. I pull with 2015 Tundra Crew Max, so no problems at all there. All in all a wonderful time of enjoying the fall foliage in SW Colorado! And looking forward to much more!
KGs2108DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGs2108DS View Post
our 2018 2108DS is pretty new, but this past fall we (wife & I) boondocked for 3 segments in SW Colorado in last week Sept - first two wks Oct elevations 9200 to 10600' low temps down to low 20s. longest seg. was 4 days 3 nights. we carried 2 extra 5 gal water jugs, and added them on the evening of the 3rd day; and ended the trip just fine with fresh water to spare, and grey/black tanks approaching full. we were judicious w/water, but each took shower X2, albeit brief :-). we have a Honda 2200i (with high altitude carb jet mod) which we used to charge the on-board battery for an hour AM (charge batteries and power coffee maker and microwave) and PM, just prior to lights out for night. all systems worked just fine, with one exception that the furnace sometimes did not light on the first ignite of the electronic ignition. the furnace module (located in the A/C return air duct, ceiling) did a LOT of clicking, and the dealer (Harrison RV in Jefferson Iowa) replaced it on warranty (trailer in storage now, so we'll find out later in spring if this is fixed), BUT furnace never failed to work, though I did have to start the generator in the early AM hours a couple of times (have since replaced on-board battery with higher mA battery). the dealer set the trailer suspension to it's highest level as part of our purchase agreement (agree with another post stating this is an easy thing, and dealer should be able to accomplish in <1hr). Our bathroom has it's own furnace duct, coming directly off the furnace, so it's the warmest place in the trailer :-). the subfloor is ducted from the furnace as well, so tanks all enclosed - no problems at all with this. I pull with 2015 Tundra Crew Max, so no problems at all there. All in all a wonderful time of enjoying the fall foliage in SW Colorado! And looking forward to much more!
I think the 2108ds is basically the same as the 2201mb we are most likely going with except the bed in 2201mb is a murphy and when it goes up there is a couch there.

Good to hear you had no trouble with temps. We might get down to 5 degrees or so if at higher elevations but for extended time at those temps we would move lower down to warmer temps anyway.

I plan on putting in two lithium 100 amp batteries and a couple solar panels on roof so we don't have to use generator quite as much. We have a honda 2000 and really like that. I saw a video on a kit u can buy to be able to run the generator off of propane or gas. since we will have propane I wouldn't have to carry a gas can.

Are you from Jefferson? is that Jefferson County? my old boss lives in Fairfield, his wife was the county clerk for 30 years. Howard and Donna Clark.

we are from Cedar Rapids/Iowa City but moved to South Florida after I semi retired. it was to hot there for wife son we are in NW Arkansas now. Plan on doing a good two years traveling once I am fully retired in aug 2021. I cant wait, wife is a little hesitant though.

Thanks for the response, good info.

Randy Northrop
Randyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 9
I also have a 2108DS with the off-road & extreme weather, went out to Big Bend for 10 days over New Years. Not sure how cold it got at night but everything was iced over in the morning melting by 9:30am. Boon docking with 200 watts of solar (didn't take my 4500W Gen because I had no need for AC) I did have to connect the pickup and idle for 30 min first thing in the morning as the furnace ran during the night, once the sun hit the panels the solar did an adequate job. I don't use a coffee maker or watch TV, a small 2000 watt Gen is in my future plans. Boon docked for three months last summer, I'm happy with the Trailer I can go where bigger units can't.
thebunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3
We have a 1706fb with the offroad and extreme weather packages. We installed 3 AGM 100 a/h batteries (2 under the dinette seat), a 1000 watt inverter and a Maxxair rain sensing fan. The only solar we have so far is a 120 solar suitcase. We plan to add 2 100 watt panels to the roof.

We boondocked for stretches of 3-4 days numerous times this year with our longest being 7 days. Power was never an issue in sunny weather but we are not heavy users of electricity/inverter. The fan was used a lot along with lights, water pump and occasional furnace in morning.

Water is definitely the limiting factor and specifically the black tank. 2 x 5 gallon jugs are used similar to camping in a tent. We found the insulation was much better than our previous travel trailers and 5th wheel and never got too hot (90's outside) or too cool (high 30's). We get well off the beaten path in Utah and Colorado.
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
We have a 1706fb with the offroad and extreme weather packages. We installed 3 AGM 100 a/h batteries (2 under the dinette seat), a 1000 watt inverter and a Maxxair rain sensing fan. The only solar we have so far is a 120 solar suitcase. We plan to add 2 100 watt panels to the roof.

We boondocked for stretches of 3-4 days numerous times this year with our longest being 7 days. Power was never an issue in sunny weather but we are not heavy users of electricity/inverter. The fan was used a lot along with lights, water pump and occasional furnace in morning.

Water is definitely the limiting factor and specifically the black tank. 2 x 5 gallon jugs are used similar to camping in a tent. We found the insulation was much better than our previous travel trailers and 5th wheel and never got too hot (90's outside) or too cool (high 30's). We get well off the beaten path in Utah and Colorado.
Thanks for the reply, good to know you used the maxair fans to vent hot and bring in cooler air. we are going to install those as well.

Thank you,
Randy Northrop
Randyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Micro-Minnie 2106ds Boondocking Blubugger Winnebago Travel Trailers 18 10-02-2019 10:48 PM
Who manufactures Winnebago Travel Trailers? tim l Winnebago General Discussions 12 03-07-2019 06:30 AM
Grand Design Travel Trailers Stumblefoot Winnebago Travel Trailers 4 11-01-2017 10:12 PM
Battery life boondocking Belgique Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 26 08-19-2006 06:07 AM
Report on five days of boondocking - long - John_Canfield Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 36 07-14-2006 05:38 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×