Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2020, 08:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Smile Boondocking in Minnie Trailers

I am considering purchasing a 2201 MB with Extreme Weather package. I plan to add Lithium Batteries and 400 watts of solar with 2000 or 3000 watt inverter.

I am not so much worried about the power but we will be full-timing and boondocking most of the time.

I am worried about the small tanks (fresh, grey, black), the single pane windows and just the overall insulation of the rig along with the trailer suspension (no shocks on wheels).

anyone have any experience boondocking with this model or other minnies in temps down to 0 Fahrenheit? Also just ability to stay more than a couple days with small tanks, and any issues with suspension?

I have looked at other manufacturers that might be better for this type camping but we really want the outside kitchen this model has and we like the layout inside and the weight. very few travel trailers have outdoor kitchens.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Randy Northrop
Randyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If we are careful, we can make 3 days with our 1708FB, which looks to have the same tanks as the one you are looking at. We boondock with ours, but have an outside kitchen we used when we were out in a roof top tent. I also tow with a Tacoma so we tried to find a balance of amenities versus weight and we feel we did that. It is also the reason we opted for a model without a slide.

For cold weather, I think WB hit the mark, our camper will heat just fine but our space is a little smaller than your model, insulated floors and enclosed tanks. The only thing I could mention is the bathroom gets a little chillier than the rest of the camper.

For that model, if you decide to get it, see about raising it up for more ground clearance or look for one with the Explorer package? I think that is the name of it. Larger wheels with all terrain tires and a 2 inch lift. My hitch height is 26".

Also consider the length of that camper, 27ft may be hard to get to certain places.
You also mentioned full timing, I love our camper, but if we full timed I would go with something bigger and the one you are interested in may do it.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We have a 2250DS and love it. I can't advise you on boon docking issues because we don't. I do have experience with the suspension bushings. There are 14 and they are made of nylon. They are good for about 15,000 miles before they start wearing through and causing metal to metal contact. Before that happens I suggest that you replace them with Lippert Never Fail Bushings from Amazon or etrailer. It is very important to make sure your tires are balanced for best longevity on the bushings.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
Site Team

I know this is the WBGO forum and I'm a mod here and all... but have you looked at Arctic Fox TTs? Outside of the lack of outdoor kitchen built into the side of the TT it would seem to meet all of your needs. AF does have a outdoor kitchen model but it's 28' long.

You can easily carry your "outdoor kitchen" in the back of your TV truck.

The AF 25R has all you're looking for standard and the slightly cheaper Nash 26N with optional thermal pane windows looks like a good candidate.
The 25R has :
Fresh Water Capacity (w/water heater, approx. gal.): 63
Gray Water Tank (approx. gallons): 44
Black Water Tank (approx. gallons): 35

Shock suspensions on them both, thermo windows, 3-season insulation and heated tanks.

Before we switched from TT to motorhomes we had one Nash and two Arctic Fox TTs. They were rugged, reliable, livable and well built. When we sold them they disappeared at full price in a matter of days.

Northwood MFG also owns the Outdoor RV brand of TTs and I hear they are well built and 3/4-season ready but I don't know a lot about them. the Outdoor "Backcountry" line looks right up your alley with built in solar and generators as well as 100 gal fresh and 80 gal grey/50gal blk tanks.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I know this is the WBGO forum and I'm a mod here and all... but have you looked at Arctic Fox TTs? Outside of the lack of outdoor kitchen built into the side of the TT it would seem to meet all of your needs. AF does have a outdoor kitchen model but it's 28' long.

You can easily carry your "outdoor kitchen" in the back of your TV truck.

The AF 25R has all you're looking for standard and the slightly cheaper Nash 26N with optional thermal pane windows looks like a good candidate.
The 25R has :
Fresh Water Capacity (w/water heater, approx. gal.): 63
Gray Water Tank (approx. gallons): 44
Black Water Tank (approx. gallons): 35

Shock suspensions on them both, thermo windows, 3-season insulation and heated tanks.

Before we switched from TT to motorhomes we had one Nash and two Arctic Fox TTs. They were rugged, reliable, livable and well built. When we sold them they disappeared at full price in a matter of days.

Northwood MFG also owns the Outdoor RV brand of TTs and I hear they are well built and 3/4-season ready but I don't know a lot about them. the Outdoor "Backcountry" line looks right up your alley with built in solar and generators as well as 100 gal fresh and 80 gal grey/50gal blk tanks.
I have looked at the AF and Nash and Outdoor RV and Lance. We really feel we will use the outdoor kitchen a lot, so want to find something that has it. Most of the other brands mentioned are heavier than the 2201mb and we only have a 1/2 ton so want to keep the weight down. to do that you need to look at shorter models and they don't have the kitchen. I will take a look at the model you mentioned but would guess it is to heavy. saw a new Minnie model that does have bigger tanks (37 fr, 28 black and 69 grey) but now kitchen.

do you know if it is possible to increase tank size on minnies? also add thermal pane windows either through Winnebago or an aftermarket? my guess is no due to room for tanks and custom windows might be a pretty penny.

Thanks for all input, really appreciated.

Randy
Old 01-19-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We boondock in our 2250DS whenever possible. We are able to stay at least four days. (We’ve never pushed to the absolute limit.). To extend our tankage comfortably, we bought a 21 gallon tank tote.

We’ve not been out in super cold conditions, upper 20’s for lows so far. The furnace kept up nicely in those temps and used about 25 or so AH overnight if I remember correctly. We have a 100 watt solar suitcase we deploy, but we’re often in tree cover or it’s just cloudy so we rely on a few hours daily runtime from our Honda 2200i generator mostly.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

It’s all a compromise. We love our micro Minnie with the extreme weather package but after camping in barely freezing weather we just didn’t enjoy it and wouldn’t recommend it.

You do know the outdoor kitchen is not useful in freezing weather and it’s just one more spot for pipes to freeze lol.

Being limited with your tow vehicle means you have to compromise more than if you were willing to upgrade your truck.

The brands others recommended are known for cold weather camping. While I love my micro Minnie , that is not it’s strong suit.
seaninnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

boondocking cold weather, high altitude

our 2018 2108DS is pretty new, but this past fall we (wife & I) boondocked for 3 segments in SW Colorado in last week Sept - first two wks Oct elevations 9200 to 10600' low temps down to low 20s. longest seg. was 4 days 3 nights. we carried 2 extra 5 gal water jugs, and added them on the evening of the 3rd day; and ended the trip just fine with fresh water to spare, and grey/black tanks approaching full. we were judicious w/water, but each took shower X2, albeit brief :-). we have a Honda 2200i (with high altitude carb jet mod) which we used to charge the on-board battery for an hour AM (charge batteries and power coffee maker and microwave) and PM, just prior to lights out for night. all systems worked just fine, with one exception that the furnace sometimes did not light on the first ignite of the electronic ignition. the furnace module (located in the A/C return air duct, ceiling) did a LOT of clicking, and the dealer (Harrison RV in Jefferson Iowa) replaced it on warranty (trailer in storage now, so we'll find out later in spring if this is fixed), BUT furnace never failed to work, though I did have to start the generator in the early AM hours a couple of times (have since replaced on-board battery with higher mA battery). the dealer set the trailer suspension to it's highest level as part of our purchase agreement (agree with another post stating this is an easy thing, and dealer should be able to accomplish in <1hr). Our bathroom has it's own furnace duct, coming directly off the furnace, so it's the warmest place in the trailer :-). the subfloor is ducted from the furnace as well, so tanks all enclosed - no problems at all with this. I pull with 2015 Tundra Crew Max, so no problems at all there. All in all a wonderful time of enjoying the fall foliage in SW Colorado! And looking forward to much more!
KGs2108DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGs2108DS View Post
our 2018 2108DS is pretty new, but this past fall we (wife & I) boondocked for 3 segments in SW Colorado in last week Sept - first two wks Oct elevations 9200 to 10600' low temps down to low 20s. longest seg. was 4 days 3 nights. we carried 2 extra 5 gal water jugs, and added them on the evening of the 3rd day; and ended the trip just fine with fresh water to spare, and grey/black tanks approaching full. we were judicious w/water, but each took shower X2, albeit brief :-). we have a Honda 2200i (with high altitude carb jet mod) which we used to charge the on-board battery for an hour AM (charge batteries and power coffee maker and microwave) and PM, just prior to lights out for night. all systems worked just fine, with one exception that the furnace sometimes did not light on the first ignite of the electronic ignition. the furnace module (located in the A/C return air duct, ceiling) did a LOT of clicking, and the dealer (Harrison RV in Jefferson Iowa) replaced it on warranty (trailer in storage now, so we'll find out later in spring if this is fixed), BUT furnace never failed to work, though I did have to start the generator in the early AM hours a couple of times (have since replaced on-board battery with higher mA battery). the dealer set the trailer suspension to it's highest level as part of our purchase agreement (agree with another post stating this is an easy thing, and dealer should be able to accomplish in <1hr). Our bathroom has it's own furnace duct, coming directly off the furnace, so it's the warmest place in the trailer :-). the subfloor is ducted from the furnace as well, so tanks all enclosed - no problems at all with this. I pull with 2015 Tundra Crew Max, so no problems at all there. All in all a wonderful time of enjoying the fall foliage in SW Colorado! And looking forward to much more!
I think the 2108ds is basically the same as the 2201mb we are most likely going with except the bed in 2201mb is a murphy and when it goes up there is a couch there.

Good to hear you had no trouble with temps. We might get down to 5 degrees or so if at higher elevations but for extended time at those temps we would move lower down to warmer temps anyway.

I plan on putting in two lithium 100 amp batteries and a couple solar panels on roof so we don't have to use generator quite as much. We have a honda 2000 and really like that. I saw a video on a kit u can buy to be able to run the generator off of propane or gas. since we will have propane I wouldn't have to carry a gas can.

Are you from Jefferson? is that Jefferson County? my old boss lives in Fairfield, his wife was the county clerk for 30 years. Howard and Donna Clark.

we are from Cedar Rapids/Iowa City but moved to South Florida after I semi retired. it was to hot there for wife son we are in NW Arkansas now. Plan on doing a good two years traveling once I am fully retired in aug 2021. I cant wait, wife is a little hesitant though.

Thanks for the response, good info.

Randy Northrop
Old 01-22-2020, 09:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I also have a 2108DS with the off-road & extreme weather, went out to Big Bend for 10 days over New Years. Not sure how cold it got at night but everything was iced over in the morning melting by 9:30am. Boon docking with 200 watts of solar (didn't take my 4500W Gen because I had no need for AC) I did have to connect the pickup and idle for 30 min first thing in the morning as the furnace ran during the night, once the sun hit the panels the solar did an adequate job. I don't use a coffee maker or watch TV, a small 2000 watt Gen is in my future plans. Boon docked for three months last summer, I'm happy with the Trailer I can go where bigger units can't.
thebunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We have a 1706fb with the offroad and extreme weather packages. We installed 3 AGM 100 a/h batteries (2 under the dinette seat), a 1000 watt inverter and a Maxxair rain sensing fan. The only solar we have so far is a 120 solar suitcase. We plan to add 2 100 watt panels to the roof.

We boondocked for stretches of 3-4 days numerous times this year with our longest being 7 days. Power was never an issue in sunny weather but we are not heavy users of electricity/inverter. The fan was used a lot along with lights, water pump and occasional furnace in morning.

Water is definitely the limiting factor and specifically the black tank. 2 x 5 gallon jugs are used similar to camping in a tent. We found the insulation was much better than our previous travel trailers and 5th wheel and never got too hot (90's outside) or too cool (high 30's). We get well off the beaten path in Utah and Colorado.
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
We have a 1706fb with the offroad and extreme weather packages. We installed 3 AGM 100 a/h batteries (2 under the dinette seat), a 1000 watt inverter and a Maxxair rain sensing fan. The only solar we have so far is a 120 solar suitcase. We plan to add 2 100 watt panels to the roof.

We boondocked for stretches of 3-4 days numerous times this year with our longest being 7 days. Power was never an issue in sunny weather but we are not heavy users of electricity/inverter. The fan was used a lot along with lights, water pump and occasional furnace in morning.

Water is definitely the limiting factor and specifically the black tank. 2 x 5 gallon jugs are used similar to camping in a tent. We found the insulation was much better than our previous travel trailers and 5th wheel and never got too hot (90's outside) or too cool (high 30's). We get well off the beaten path in Utah and Colorado.
Thanks for the reply, good to know you used the maxair fans to vent hot and bring in cooler air. we are going to install those as well.

Thank you,
Randy Northrop
Old 12-20-2020, 11:52 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Our experience is with an 1801FB Minnie TT. For boondocking, go with as much solar and battery capacity you can afford and fit. 600W solar and 300aH minimum, IMHO. Add a ground-deployed solar panel for those shady spots. We carry 35-50 gallons of extra fresh water, and we're considering adding a system to flush with filtered gray water. If you can boondock where spilling graywater is allowed, a couple could boondock for 2 straight weeks without leaving the campsite. The blackwater tank then becomes the limiting factor.
orangeminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:10 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We bought our new 2108DS last month, and we love it, but it’s going to require some serious upgrades before we can use it in colder seasons, and for dry camping.

The dealer supplied 60ah AGM was not up to the point ask of running the furnace and the 12v only fridge past daybreak. Thought about replacing the fridge with combo type, but for about the same price, we can keep the big beautiful fridge and upgrade electrical system.

After reading other MM posts, we ordered 170ah LiFePo4, and all the components needed for round the clock ac and dc power. Not sold in solar yet because we can just use Honda 2200i a couple of hours daily to charge battery, and run the A/C if needed. I’m a cpap user, so I need all night. So, 1500w pure sine inverter and transfer switch will be installed in January.

Folks have sai that a propane heat buddy reduces the need for long furnace run times. Curious to know what your experience is with this product.

Looking forward to a 3 week trip south in February.
Cheers.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your post. Qq - when you recharge using the 2200i do you plug the rv into the generator and use onboard charger or do you connect generator right to the batteries? Thanks!
mattyh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 05:28 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Do not use the direct DC connection on the Honda. It is a fixed voltage and a maximum up about 10 amps. Always connect it to your shore power cord, that way it will charge at 45 amps or so from the converter.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:01 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
We bought our new 2108DS last month, and we love it, but it’s going to require some serious upgrades before we can use it in colder seasons, and for dry camping.

The dealer supplied 60ah AGM was not up to the point ask of running the furnace and the 12v only fridge past daybreak. Thought about replacing the fridge with combo type, but for about the same price, we can keep the big beautiful fridge and upgrade electrical system.

After reading other MM posts, we ordered 170ah LiFePo4, and all the components needed for round the clock ac and dc power. Not sold in solar yet because we can just use Honda 2200i a couple of hours daily to charge battery, and run the A/C if needed. I’m a cpap user, so I need all night. So, 1500w pure sine inverter and transfer switch will be installed in January.

Folks have sai that a propane heat buddy reduces the need for long furnace run times. Curious to know what your experience is with this product.

Looking forward to a 3 week trip south in February.
Cheers.
Jim, we used my Big Buddy heater in our MM before our lithium install. It worked well and has 3 BTU settings, low oxygen and tip-over safety features. You can connect two 1 lb. disposable propane cylinders, one on each side or connect a filter and adapter hose and use a larger propane tank that can set outside. It also has a built in fan that can be turned on for heat distribution that runs off "D" batteries or AC adapter.

If you would go the disposable cylinder route and find out you go through them on a regular basis, I would suggest this DOT compliant propane refill kit. I use this and two of their 1 lb. cylinders for our Weber 1200 grill and they work well.

Fred
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Would seem that on the MM series the only way to extend black water storage is to install a composting toilet and connect the grey and black water tanks. Curious if anybody on this thread has done it.