Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-13-2023, 12:47 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Another Scale Sample

Hello everyone,

Went to the CAT Scale today with our Colorado z71 and 2108 fbs flx.

The fresh water tank held about 10 gallon, the grey and black were empty. The truck was about 1/4 full of fuel. The trailer and truck were loaded slightly below normal camping load.

The fender dimensions were 35 inches front and 36 rear without the trailer attached.
Trailer attached and WDH active 35 front (no change) rear 34 5/8". (Dropped about 1.5").

The weights are

Truck alone 2740 front 2260 rear, 5000 total.

With trailer 2560 front, 3040 rear, trailer 4340, total 9940.

The WDH is the Anderson.

Before we went to the Scale I adjusted the hitch for a bit more transfer to the front. Just eyeballs it looks to me like I could lower the ball and see if the trailer sits a bit more level, because the way it is now, I think the tongue is slightly high.

I'm still trying to absorb all the Information.

Has anyone found a good video that covers this topic?
RVJimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 12:43 AM   #22

If you are changing wdh settings or replacing heavy stuff to get more balance, you could roughly compare the weigt on wheels by measuring before and after the change, the deflection of the tires.

Best then is to measure from upper rimm-edge to the ground. You dont need to know the real deflection, only differences.

I once made a spreadsheet for it, in wich weight can be roughly calculated on seperate tires with same pressue filled, like tandem or axle always must have.

If it interests you, let me know here, and I will see if I can find it.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 03:06 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVJimD View Post
Hello everyone,

The fresh water tank held about 10 gallon, the grey and black were empty. The truck was about 1/4 full of fuel. The trailer and truck were loaded slightly below normal camping load.

The fender dimensions were 35 inches front and 36 rear without the trailer attached.
Trailer attached and WDH active 35 front (no change) rear 34 5/8". (Dropped about 1.5").

The weights are

The WDH is the Anderson.

Before we went to the Scale I adjusted the hitch for a bit more transfer to the front. Just eyeballs it looks to me like I could lower the ball and see if the trailer sits a bit more level, because the way it is now, I think the tongue is slightly high.

Video on how to weigh https://youtu.be/cnu-7NVBVh8

I would advise you load the RV with everything you expect to load (heaviest you ever expect)
With the RV hooked up and WDH active get the weight on each axle. You will need to pay attention to keeping each axle on its own pad. The weights on the 2 axles should be almost the same.

With the individual axle weights first confirm you are under the GAWR as shown on your Certification Label
Also use the heavier axle weight and. divide by 2 and this is the load you would use to consult the Load & Inflation tables to learn the MINIMUM inflation for all the tires.
I suggest you set the cold inflation to that MINIMUM psi plus 10%

You can learn more if you review Inflation and Load on my RV Tire Safety blog
Old 07-15-2023, 02:37 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVJimD View Post
Hello everyone,

The weights are

The WDH is the Anderson.

Great start, now you can tweak.

Lower the hitch to get front of trailer down. Preload anderson hitch more to transfer the increase in tow vehicle rear axle you reported to tow vehicle front ront axle and to trailer axles.

The truck will come up in the rear and the trailer will come up in front (down cause you lowered ball). The front of truck may or may not drop.

When you weigh again put TV front axles on one pad, rear axles with trailer distributed on second pad and trailer axles on last pad.

The weight on 1st pad must not exceed TV fawr, the weight on 2nd pad must not exceed TV rawr. Add pad 1 and pad 2 together and this must not exceed TV GVWR.

The 3rd pad must not exceed Trailer GVWR.
Old 07-15-2023, 03:41 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Thumbs up

Good exercise in getting the best out of a tow setup! Great thread.
As always keeping tires inflated correctly is absolutely key to safe and stable towing. I really do not think one should consider minimum inflation as a key, however one should always check for maximum cold and keep the pressure up under load especially with ST tires.

It is not an overpressure condition that blows most tires it is almost always heat created by underinflation causing lamination failure of the rubber from what I have read. Or damage from bumping curbs and the like causing breaks in the belts and bulges. TPMS are important but not as important as regular visual checks and actual pressure checks that are accurate.

The stock TPM setups on most vehicles need to have the warning trigger levels changed when hauling heavier loads. My brothers Sierra is a good example it does not give a tire warning until the tire is down to 23 psi which is not a good thing if you decide to haul anything or load the bed of the truck.

Also with a WDH getting the load shift right simply means getting at least the tongue weight of the rig to the front. In my case just over 450 lbs. When I do reach that point by adjusting the chains the tow vehicle sits perfectly level with almost the same load front as back but a little heavier on the back tires. Which is a good thing towing.

Naturally the WDH then compensates for swails in the pavement and increases greatly the stability of the tow setup going down the road. I would not be surprised if the weight transfer to the front tires increases by a considerable amount when going over dips.

Would be interesting to see the weight transfer effect actually documented while in motion, but I have never seen a running test of distribution changes while in motion on the net or on TV yet.

Anyway good thread!
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat