Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Advice Wanted With Winnebago Minnie

Hi all, new to the site. I just purchased a 2004 Winnebago Minnie 31C. It's in great shape, low miles and like new inside. Only thing I didn't like about it is it has the overhead entertainment center; I would rather have the bed area for kids. My plan is to remove and convert to bed. Winnebago says the structure is not there in the sides for the bunk but I think it is still strong enough for kids. Has any one else made this kind of a mod? Thanks
Marty57
Marty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi Marty! Welcome to the forum! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

:welcome:

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Because it's like trying to decide which straw broke the camels back. I'd heed the advice of the folks at Winnebago. This modification also could open up liability issues when you sell it.

Happy Trails!!!
Old 12-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Because it's like trying to decide which straw broke the camels back. I'd heed the advice of the folks at Winnebago. This modification also could open up liability issues when you sell it.

Happy Trails!!!
I agree with the above and...

Old 12-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Here is the complete parts book for the '04 31C Minnie Winnie.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/...04/4wf431c.pdf

It looks like they never offered a bed up there, even as an option. So indeed, you will be on your own there.

You could be causing structural issues with the cab over structure which could cause leaks or even catastrophic failure of the cab over attachment.

Me personally, I won't look at stuff that has been modified like this when I am buying something, I like to start out with something that is perfectly stock or largely un-molested.

Charles

The other two Minnie Winnie models also do not show a cab over bunk

http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/...04/4wf427p.pdf

http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/...04/4wf430v.pdf

Charles
Old 12-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

A regular bunk is shown in the brochure:

I highly doubt the structure story you were told, I'd try to confirm that. I have the wall structure plans for my motorhome, Winnebago should be able to supply yours. That might be better than the parts manuals, that don't shown what's inside the walls.

Wait, just realized one thing...the parts manuals linked above are for a Minnie Winnie, not the Minnie. Need to pull up some parts manuals....

There we go.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/...04/4wf331c.pdf

Sidewalls (on page 90) are the same with or without the entertainment stuff. That'd be where most of the structure is. Still looking...

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the link, the manual is very helpful. Page 90 shows the sides with the windows that are included in the model with the bunk. The sides do have angle for support for the bunk. The bunk cut out is the same as mine. I need to find a view of the sides for the model with the entertainment center to see if they are any differences. Where did you find the manual ? I'd like to check and see if I can find one with the entertainment center that shows sides without the windows to see if there is any difference. This is sure helpful.
Thanks,
Marty
Old 12-30-2016, 10:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

The link is just a direct link to the resources section of the Winnebago website for the parts manual for a 2004 Minnie 31C. As you can see the only difference for the overhead entertainment shows up in the front panel as wiring differences. That might inhibit putting a front window in yours, but the side ones would go in. That is, if you wanted to go that far.

If you email Winnebago, [email protected], they'll send you detailed drawings of the wall structures. They aren't the easiest to understand, there's a sheet for each layer, but it's all there. That'd show if there's any differences in the actual structure that doesn't show in the parts manual.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I removed the inside of the small left front cabinet and found the strap holding in the Tv; that will be easy to remove. Regardless of what I do, that monster has to go. Looking at the manual that shows the side walls of the Minnie with the bed, it shows brackets on the side that hold the bed in place. With the panel removed from the cabinet it is clear that this set up has the same brackets as shown in the manual. I think it would be safe to modify the upper area without any issues of strength. I'm going to remove the big TV and get a better look at the area behind the cabinets. It looks like it is finished excluding the upper curve. It would take about one sheet of the thin plywood to finish out the area if needed. We are thinking of maybe moving the cabinets back a bit and putting in flat screen TV. That would give us a smaller loft area up top and still have the entertainment equipment. It's looking like this will be pretty easy to do. I'm a retired "shop" teacher so this kind of thing and modifying the cabinetry is easy stuff. More to come.
Marty
Old 01-10-2017, 03:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

2005 minnie bunk/entertainment area

I am also working on the entertainment center area. There is a lot of empty wasted space behind there. Also need to finish off the front of cab area where you see the back of fiberglass front shell exposed. Need to put up some kind of luan or paneling. It does not have any insulation there and brings in a lot of cold air.
Will mount a new tv mount for a flat panel somewhere and relocate cabinets back some.
yankeewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeewing View Post
I am also working on the entertainment center area. There is a lot of empty wasted space behind there. Also need to finish off the front of cab area where you see the back of fiberglass front shell exposed. Need to put up some kind of luan or paneling. It does not have any insulation there and brings in a lot of cold air.
Will mount a new tv mount for a flat panel somewhere and relocate cabinets back some.

Left the cabinets forward the front where they were and put in tv mount

Will find some type of indoor/outdoor carpeting to match the ceiling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2974.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	152118
Old 02-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Our 2006 Outlook has the entertainment center and we love it up there instead of the bed. Whatever floats your boat.. The previous owner took out the big TV set and he installed a Proscan flat screen TV in the exact same position. Is held in place with velcro all the way around and he didn't have to move any cabinets around.

We did see another Outlook, the same mirrors hours, a couple weeks ago and it did have the bed over the driver's area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG4053.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	152126
MurphyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:12 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I'm still up in the air as to what we want to do. I replaced the big TV by enclosing the space with a wood cabinet, covered in black and put in a flat screen TV that we had in the house . There is a lot of empty space that could be better utilized, that's for sure. I suspect the empty space is due to having the cabinets located so that we can reach to the back. If the cabinets went all the way back with the existing upper deck it would be difficult to reach all the way back. Since the cab is designed for a bed or TV area there is the unused space. For now we will leave it with the new TV but still thinking I can do better. We also had an issue in that the TV antenna cable needs to be replaced. Dealer said they would fix any issues we found in first 30 days but they haven't gotten back to us as they said they would about fixing it. Seems it's not going to be easy to replace antenna cable. So for now, we use the TV I installed with it's built in DVD player. Any clues on replacing the cable?
Marty
Old 02-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I replaced coaxial cable on roof of both my Winnebago's. They dry rot and crack from being exposed to weather. Not real good cable for outside installation. I cut a couple inches above roof line and installed a connector there. I used very large shrink tubing to cover all metal connections after hooking up my new 4-5 foot piece. Pick up a lot of channels with stock antenna.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:24 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

I have an '02 Itasca Sundancer, there are people who always wish for a entertainment center, if you do take it out, post it for sale. Re: tv, I put a 26" LED TV in its place, hung it high abd made storage space below... I too had to teplace the cable. We connected it to the new cable, one guy on the roof, one at the ceiling antenna hole. Wiggled back and forth, loosening the cable in the roof, and pulling the new cable through. There are pictures of my modifications on this site, look up my posts. You will love your new rv! We do!
paswigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:24 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

I meant 2004
paswigi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new member, winnebago