Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-20-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No power (less than 1v) to trailer lights socket but motorhome rear lights are fine

My trailer socket is getting just a trace of voltage (just measurable on the voltmeter, around .2V) but my motorhome tail lights work fine. 2 months ago the trailer lights worked just fine. I have tried tracing everything and I am at my wits end. I have a 1997 Winnebago Adventurer on the Ford F53 chassis.

The voltage is the same regardless of what nearby ground source I use and it appears the trailer and rear motorhome lights share the same grounding lug which appears fine.

I checked every fuse I could find even though I could not find any documentation on which fuse is exactly for the trailer lights.

I traced the winnebago installed wires from the trailer socket to ford connector in the back of the motorhome. I pulled the connector apart and tested there, same issue - power to the motorhome lights but just trace power for the trailer lights.

I have searched many threads and haven't found anything to be helpful in my case.

This is my first post and I sincerely appreciate any help.
jgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the forum!

You didn't state which Adventure model, but your wiring diagrams can be found here.

1997 Wiring Diagrams

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...0wq_wiring.htm
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

If you read normal voltage at the Ford connector, but little voltage at the socket, I'd pull the socket out and check the connections in it. Not uncommon for a socket to go bad. A new one is less than $10, it would be a simple replacement if it's bad.

Of course test the wires where they connect into the socket to be sure they are conducting power correctly before replacing the socket.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. I had pulled all the wiring diagrams from Winnebago and traced them as best I can up to the front of the chassis. I don't see any issues with the Winnebago wiring. When I try to go to the Ford F53 wiring I can't seem to find diagrams with enough fidelity to help me and when I try to trace the wires to the front I lose them in a mess of wires I can't seem to follow to the power source and fuse box.

I have tried everything and I am at the point of just running new wires or tapping into the motorhome lights.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have the 32' Adventurer. Ford F53 chassis with the 460
Old 08-20-2016, 02:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I read the same (trace - 0.1 - 0.2V) voltage at the Ford socket/connector as at the trailer socket. I have a very hard time tracing the Ford wiring to the power source or fuse box. It seems to get lost up in the firewall with a conglomeration of other wires.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

jgmeyer, here is a link to the Ford owners manual for you coach. Page 80 shows the fuse panel and looks like it is fuse #18.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../97motog1e.pdf
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the link for the fuses. My Ford 53 service manual didn't show this. Normal 12V voltage is going through the number 18 fuse. There must be a problem between the fuse and the Ford 53 wiring going to the back of the coach. I will continue to investiage
Old 08-20-2016, 03:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I got it! Many thanks to all, especially grtharris. It wasn't the number 18 fuse in the coach, but looking further in the information he sent it was the number 4 fuse in the engine compartment. The fuse was fine, but it was a loose connection in the #4 fuse not providing a snug connection of the fuse.

I am new to RV-ing and I found found the RV community is great and really helps others.

Tags
light, lights, motorhome, power