Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Minnie Micro 2106 owners with ladders

My Sunnybrook Harmony 21FBS seems to be constructed the same with fiberglass sidewalls on aluminium frame. If you have added a roof ladder which fasteners were used and did you hit the frame?
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hey George, I asked my dealer about the ladder, the more recent winnies have them. She called the factory and they said there is no reinforcement in the wall for the ladder on our Harmony. I would like to take a stud finder out to the trailer and check for myself. The ladder is screwed to reinforcing in the wall with #10 wood screws. I'd like to put a ladder on mine, just have to verify if the wood is there.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Hey George, I asked my dealer about the ladder, the more recent winnies have them. She called the factory and they said there is no reinforcement in the wall for the ladder on our Harmony. I would like to take a stud finder out to the trailer and check for myself. The ladder is screwed to reinforcing in the wall with #10 wood screws. I'd like to put a ladder on mine, just have to verify if the wood is there.
Odd as the construction is generally the same on a Winnie Minnie 2106 with the aluminum frame and fiberglass shell. I am not sure of the stud spacing of an aluminum frame but in the sales brochure, it showed a side shot of the aluminum frame where the studs were not spaced evenly but the back probably is but I doubt a ladder could hit both adjacent studs for attachment. I wonder how they do it on a current Winnie Minnie? I am sure they don't have special stud spacing for ladder placement since the ladder is optional.
Will a stud finder work on aluminum? I have one but it doesn't even work well on wood studs over sheet rock.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Stud finder should work, as its looking at the density of material. Winn might insert a wood filler into al tubing to create a place for a wood screw to anchor. Now that I think about it, when I added a fold-away handle next to the front door, I drilled first thru the gel coat, then aluminum, then wood. Used lag screws that came with the handle to anchor. Solid. I take a collapsible ladder along, used it to install the Fantastic fan in the bathroom.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JIL0WU...a-274497126601
Old 03-23-2017, 05:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Stud finder should work, as its looking at the density of material. Winn might insert a wood filler into al tubing to create a place for a wood screw to anchor. Now that I think about it, when I added a fold-away handle next to the front door, I drilled first thru the gel coat, then aluminum, then wood. Used lag screws that came with the handle to anchor. Solid. I take a collapsible ladder along, used it to install the Fantastic fan in the bathroom.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JIL0WU...a-274497126601
Wow, that is perfect. I think I will go that way once I have a little expendable income rather than attaching a ladder. MANY MANY thanks!
Old 03-29-2017, 08:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Bill, ended up buying this ladder:

EN131 12.5ft Aluminum Telescopic Extension Ladder Tall Multi Purpose 330lbs 3.8m | eBay

thanks for the great suggestions!
Old 03-29-2017, 08:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

That'l work! I bought a carry bag for mine from the mfg. I store the ladder under the bed-outta sight, outta mind.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Bill, ended up buying this ladder:

EN131 12.5ft Aluminum Telescopic Extension Ladder Tall Multi Purpose 330lbs 3.8m | eBay

thanks for the great suggestions!
Thanks for the link. I'm 6'3" and 295 so weight restriction is a problem on most ladders for me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have one of those telescoping ladders and it really works great. Just make sure your fingers are clear when collapsing the ladder.

Don't ask how I know....

Mike
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote