Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-08-2023, 04:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2021 Micro Minnie 1708FB purchase help

Hi, Im looking at a 1708fb. It seems to be there is a A and B model? If true is there somewhere on here that documents the differences? Will the vin # reveal?

I called Winnebago and found that it has the adventure and comfort packages like 99% do. I asked for a brochure but apparently they were all removed from planet earth.

I noted in the photos there is no large panel which has tank heaters? Does this mean it is a ducted underbelly or?

Also, no photo showing the dump valves.. I saw in a video on u tubes, that some have them going into the frame so the valves are therefore heated?

The unit is 5 hrs away and Im looking over dozens of photos provided to me today and trying to understand this unit. I was looking Lances's 1475 but very expensive and hard to find. Im aware all campers are poorly made, Ive owned one, not my first rodeo.

Also, I noted that the galley drawers are not dovetailed and look to be glued corners. Is this normal Winn quality?

Seems to me 2022 was a big uprade such as power levelers.. I guess you could consider those a downgrade due to weight and potential problems but doesnt seem to be a problem point for them.

thanks
BarchettA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 06:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchettA View Post
Hi, Im looking at a 1708fb. It seems to be there is a A and B model? If true is there somewhere on here that documents the differences? Will the vin # reveal?

I called Winnebago and found that it has the adventure and comfort packages like 99% do. I asked for a brochure but apparently they were all removed from planet earth.

I noted in the photos there is no large panel which has tank heaters? Does this mean it is a ducted underbelly or?

Also, no photo showing the dump valves.. I saw in a video on u tubes, that some have them going into the frame so the valves are therefore heated?

The unit is 5 hrs away and Im looking over dozens of photos provided to me today and trying to understand this unit. I was looking Lances's 1475 but very expensive and hard to find. Im aware all campers are poorly made, Ive owned one, not my first rodeo.

Also, I noted that the galley drawers are not dovetailed and look to be glued corners. Is this normal Winn quality?

Seems to me 2022 was a big uprade such as power levelers.. I guess you could consider those a downgrade due to weight and potential problems but doesnt seem to be a problem point for them.

thanks
Please excuse my tone, I didnt mean to sound like I thought Winn was junk... Im having a real hard time with this decision.. nothing is here local for me to see so its all photos, and talk on phone. to step up to same year Lance its another $9k. that is a lot but on the other hand, when I go to sell... I dunno.. this market is so hyper inflated I have no business buying.. I dont know where people get all this money to pay these prices...
Old 06-08-2023, 08:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hey- 1708FB excellent choice. one of my FAV trailers.
few things

Buying remote, without inspecting it is a recipe for problems. you could luck out but…2021 was the height of pandemic and all sorts of problems were introduced into the supply chain along with crappy workmanship.
don’t recommend a buy sight unseen. roof problems ect..you’ll have zero warranty from WB.

The underbelly is ducted from the the furnace on that unit, the valves are not visible because of that.

Later they went to pad heaters, mine (1720FB) has them along with the electric jacks. the electric jacks turn manually (against the reduction gear) but once you strip the motor off it’s a normal jack.

A brand new 2022 1708FB can be had for $22K USD around mid USA

You’ll be disappointed with the Lance for $9K more

Don’t be quick to buy a bag of problems. check it out 10x over.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/Imag...20Brochure.pdf
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 07:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Used Micro Minnie Purchase

The Micro Minnie is a nice little trailer. I sold my Lance a few months ago and bought a 2108 TB. The only feature that seems better in the Lance is the double pane windows. Had lots of issues with the Lance.
Inspect any trailer carefully before negotiating the price. Plan on at least four hours to check every detail and system. Check for leaks (propane, water, windows, roof, etc.) Check all systems with both shore power and battery power. Check fridge and water heater with propane and shore power. Make a detailed check list before seeing the trailer. Hook it up and check the brakes.
Start with a low offer. Enjoy a new trailer.
Thindirtline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 10:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2022 1708FB. Ours is not ducted, it has 12V heated blankets under the tanks. It does not have heated valves.
Before we settled on the 1708 we looked at many other manufacturers. We also have had other trailers before this one so we knew what we didn’t want. I found the general build quality between manufacturers were similar except I felt Winnebago’s were much more structurally robust than any other manufacturers. The 1708s tandem axles are also something not commonly seen in a short lightweight trailer. They do make a significant difference on stability and weight distribution. Most times we pull ours well into the boonies, way off road in the middle of nowhere.
We’ve also camped in all four seasons here in Colorado. Granted I’ve installed many modifications to this trailer to optimize comfort, functionality and weight and by far it’s the best camper we’ve owned. This isn’t to say there won’t be gremlins. With any travel trailer you’re going to have them and we’ve had ours. I’ve found this site very helpful in fixing those as well as researching different approaches to modifications.
Old 06-09-2023, 10:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I bought my Micro Minnie 2100 BH mostly remotely, but I did place a refundable deposit on it before seeing in person ( the dealer did give me a video tour) and then I traveled the 600 miles to inspect it prior to closing. Why not get on a zoom call with the dealer and have him show you the entire trailer and explain to you the set up of the dump valuables and under belly enclosure and tank heater and anything else?
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 07:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMinnie View Post
few things

Buying remote, without inspecting it is a recipe for problems. you could luck out but…2021 was the height of pandemic and all sorts of problems were introduced into the supply chain along with crappy workmanship.
don’t recommend a buy sight unseen. roof problems ect..you’ll have zero warranty from WB.

The underbelly is ducted from the the furnace on that unit, the valves are not visible because of that.

Later they went to pad heaters, mine (1720FB) has them along with the electric jacks. the electric jacks turn manually (against the reduction gear) but once you strip the motor off it’s a normal jack.

What is it about a 2021 Lance Id be disappointed in? It has a number of things that I really like.. for example 2 comfortable chairs,actual counter space (which is near impossible to find). another thing Ive noticed about the Lance's for whatever reason is the doors to the cabinets dont change color and thusly not match the cabinetry. Its also quite a bit lighter than the 1708fb.

Show me where I can get a brand new 2022 1708fb for $22k please. I will buy it.. no joke.

I would never buy remote without an inspection. I just cant see it myself which I dont like but I have no choice.. unless you show me where I can buy the new 2022 1708fb for $22k.. I must be looking in the wrong places.. unless what you are saying is I should call and simply make the offer and they will accept it. Most dealers want $1500 - $3000 and fees that somehow make up.

Here is a search 250 miles from my zip.
https://www.rvtrader.com/2022-Winneb...e%3Aasc&page=1

There is one from campers Inn for $26k.. which I can clue you in on because I have dealt with them.. they will either say it is sold and try and sell me something else, or they will tack on at least $1000 and say that the price is for financing only (with fees).. been there discovered that.

In fact.. click on the link to their website.. it is sold.. but they leave it on rv trader to bring people in.

As for the 1708fb, that is the only floor plan Id be interested in. The others wont work for me for various reasons.. which is why I like the non slide lance 1475.. same layout, campsite side seating etc.
Old 06-09-2023, 07:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
I bought my Micro Minnie 2100 BH mostly remotely, but I did place a refundable deposit on it before seeing in person ( the dealer did give me a video tour) and then I traveled the 600 miles to inspect it prior to closing. Why not get on a zoom call with the dealer and have him show you the entire trailer and explain to you the set up of the dump valuables and under belly enclosure and tank heater and anything else?
Most of the reasonably priced campers are private sales.. dealers prices are still drastically inflated. If I buy remote I will hire an inspector.

Problem is, I simply cannot find something reasonable within a 15 hr drive. Im considering making that drive for a 2017 lance. We shall see how it pans out.. my guess is, owner is hiding something.. happens a lot. Im very strategic with my questions.
Old 06-10-2023, 09:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Yea, private sale would be much different.. Good luck. We looked at several private sale trailers, Micro Minnie’s and Lance, but that was back in the spring of 2021. Even private sellers were trying to cash in on the high prices back then. Being first timers we liked the idea of a warranty. Fortunately, our local dealer is very good.
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 02:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMinnie View Post
few things

Im having a real hard time buying a 1708fb for $22k. No dealer will even come close. Not sure where you are finding these at 22k.. can you give me some idea where you found these?
Old 06-27-2023, 09:30 PM   #11
Site Team

Search RV Trader. Here’s one for $20,000

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/202...8FB-5026756832

Gotta keep looking, far and wide, not just a few spots.
Old 06-28-2023, 03:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hey BarchettA,
On a new unit,
I shopped for months to find a dealer that would do either an invoice + deal or a minimum of 30% off MSRP. Base MSRP for a 1708fb is now $33,000. So a deal close to 30% off would be $23,100. It may be possible for you to score a $22K deal in todays market. At that price (new) there’s still some dealer profit in there.

I got slightly more than 30% off msrp from DynastyRV in Bunker Hill, Indiana, which is near the Winnebago plant. Keep in mind that this was an in-stock unit. You won’t be able to get as good a deal on a factory order. I had to drive over 500 miles to get the trailer, but no other dealer within the same drive radius came within $5,000 of the deal we negotiated.

If doing this over the phone, be prepared to make a non-refundable card deposit. No money up front, no deal. Make your offer and tell them, take it or leave it. If they want the deal, they’ll call you back. If they don’t, you’re stuck on a lowball number that nobody will take. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2023, 05:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Hey BarchettA,
On a new unit,
I shopped for months to find a dealer that would do either an invoice + deal or a minimum of 30% off MSRP. Base MSRP for a 1708fb is now $33,000. So a deal close to 30% off would be $23,100. It may be possible for you to score a $22K deal in todays market. At that price (new) there’s still some dealer profit in there.

I got slightly more than 30% off msrp from DynastyRV in Bunker Hill, Indiana, which is near the Winnebago plant. Keep in mind that this was an in-stock unit. You won’t be able to get as good a deal on a factory order. I had to drive over 500 miles to get the trailer, but no other dealer within the same drive radius came within $5,000 of the deal we negotiated.

If doing this over the phone, be prepared to make a non-refundable card deposit. No money up front, no deal. Make your offer and tell them, take it or leave it. If they want the deal, they’ll call you back. If they don’t, you’re stuck on a lowball number that nobody will take. Good luck.

Im down in SC.. best Ive gotten is 26,600 and now he is reneging on it and wants 26,9. So clearly ive gotten them as low as they will go. this one does have the upgraded AC to 15.5 k I think so that is why he wants $300 more..

Im so tired of this game.. I even bought an appraisal on it.. the appraiser says anything below 27,5 is a good deal.. trade in value is 20,2 which means the moment I buy it I lose anything above 20,2. ACV is 20,0 (actual cash value).. It states dealers are selling on an average of 36%over ACV which is 27,2.

Im so exhausted.

EDIT: Is this out the door pricing or are you paying "fees"?

EDIT: Im also looking at manufacturing date.. I dont want to buy a covid RV if I can avoid, this one Im working on is 6/22 which is just out of the covid hell.
Old 06-28-2023, 06:37 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

There’s no such thing as out the door price, so to speak. Never negotiate on OTD price. You’re paying for a thing. After you settle on the price of that thing, there iare always fees, taxes license, etc etc etc. as long as you’re not paying for stuff not legally required, just as there is with an automobile purchase. And just like buying a new automobile, its value will drop 20% or more as soon as you drive it off the lot. The exception to this would be diesel trucks which seem to be worth more after you buy them.
Old 06-28-2023, 06:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
There’s no such thing as out the door price, so to speak. Never negotiate on OTD price. You’re paying for a thing. After you settle on the price of that thing, there iare always fees, taxes license, etc etc etc. as long as you’re not paying for stuff not legally required, just as there is with an automobile purchase. And just like buying a new automobile, its value will drop 20% or more as soon as you drive it off the lot. The exception to this would be diesel trucks which seem to be worth more after you buy them.
Ive never understood that rationale.. It is a thing which has delivery charges, and prep fees. those fees come out of my pocket.. Ive been told this before but I dont get it. Taxes fine, Im not really paying taxes on out of state.. maybe a small "business tax" but no real sales tax out of state..

I could negotiate to $26k at one dealer and $26k at another. One charges $600 in fees and another $899 in fees. So which should I go with?

Or more to the point.. 26k at one and 26,1 at dealer 2. Dealer two charges no fees and dealer 1 charges $700 in fees.. which should I go with?

I just dont get that.
Old 06-29-2023, 01:42 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Update: Not only did the rep go back on his price but on the same day he also quit. So I get to start over again. Sales manager would not honor his price either.

EXHAUSTED

Tags
purchase