Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2021, 01:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

XITE XSG3NA-MB9 Backup camera issues

My issue with the XITE XSG3NA-MB9 has been with the HD backup camera not being reliable. Original owner had the RV in for repair for this issue twice and I had it repaired once, but the problem persists. CW charged WGO to replaced the display, core unit, video cable and camera but it's still flaky. In my investigation, I've determined that the CW techs, never replaced the video cable or camera because they couldn't get the originals out. The cable takes too many twists and turns through the chassis to be able to remove it and install a new one. BTW the OEM camera is proprietary so you can't just swap it out with an off brand and to replace it will cost you $ 225.

My plan now is to buy an analog camera to replace the original one and connect it to a wireless video transmitter. The video receiver will present the new video signal to the core unit analog camera input. At least this way I'll get a backup camera again and still preserve all of the other radio functions.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Why not run the cable across the roof? No one will see it, and there are already cable runs up there for the solar panels. It will blend right in.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Winterbagoal - You're the only one who faithfully responds to my posts. Thanks for that.

Running a new cable across the roof is something that I have not considered yet, but the time may come. So far my plans are as follows:

A. Install a new camera in place of the old one along with a remote video transmitter. Power these two devices using the existing video cable by connecting it to 12VDC under the dash. If this power scheme doesn't work, I'll add a small solar panel on the roof. If the transmitter isn't waterproof, I will drill a hole through the rear wall of the RV and mount it inside one of the rear cabinets. Connect the corresponding video receiver output to the radio's analog camera input.

B. If the radio display isn't very good, I will use a separate monitor mounted on the dash.

C. If mounting the camera high as the replacement, I will go to a license plate mounted one. Since I can't back with the TOAD hitched up, this doesn't matter that much.

If XITE/Riverpark hadn't tried to get so sophisticated with their camera and WGO been a little more careful in the cable routing and installation. All of this effort might have been eliminated. Seems like these cameras are fragile. I had to replace a side view camera on my Suncruiser 32h and a backup camera on my Wrangler.

Anyway, the process has been started and some parts ordered. I can start in earnest next week. BTW just for grins, I measured the DC voltage on the existing cable without the camera connected and found it to be 5VDC, but it would periodically got to 0. With the camera connected it would run around 4.5VDC and still periodically go to 0, so something is definitely amiss. Maybe the splice that the CW techs put in is bad, but it was doing this before they got their meaty hands in there. Anyway you look at it, I'm not willing to pay $ 225 to see if it's the camera. I took it apart and did find some corrosion on a screw head inside, but no other apparent damage. When I reassembled it it worked the same, so cleaning it up didn't help any.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I agree, and would try some sort of wireless solution to the problem, first.
In motorhomes, cables aren't always a reliable method of electrical connectivity for the prior reasons mentioned, twists, turns, bends, holes with sharp edges that can chafe, cables without proper protective conduit, exposure to the elements, and so on.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

According to the WGO documentation, the video cable runs up the right "A" pillar and then makes its way back to the rear of the RV through the roof plenum up at the curve in the roof. Then it makes a right angle turn through a hole in the extrusion. It proceeds to the mid-line of the upper rear wall where it goes up over a body piece then makes a wiggle before making its way to the exit hole. This route makes it almost impossible to use a bad cable as a pull for a new one and impossible to run a new cable along that route. The camera cable in my RV is pulled so tight that I cannot even get to the pigtail connector, should I want to replace the camera. The only option would be to disassemble the camera and release the internal connector. Then disassemble the replacement camera make the connections and then put everything back together. This would also assume that the electronics hasn't changed.

The camera is mounted above the rear window, fishing a wire up from the bottom is equally impossible.

As anyone who has worked in these vehicles will attest, they were not designed to be repaired.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:54 AM   #6
Site Team

What problem are you having with the camera? Are you getting that "No Video Detected" error on the screen?

Have you tried working with RiverPark? They support the Xite system and usually do a pretty good job of phone support. Email support is not nearly as good.

The camera wire runs through the roof, down one of the A pillars and behind the dash into a small metal box with RCA plugs for each camera (do Views have side view camera's? I'm not sure). There are other components that make the system work, too. One of them is a transmission sensor to know when the RV is in reverse.

Personally, I don't trust Camping World to fix something like this. Here's a suggestion that might help. You might actually take the RV to a Mobile Stereo Installer to check everything out. They can remove the radio, locate the camera interface box, check the reverse sensor, etc. That's the kind of work they do all the time. Camping World certainly doesn't have a lot of experience or experienced repair people for handling electronic items. Typical RV repairs involve fridges, water heaters, A/C and those are the kinds of things CW probably has decent knowledge about.

But the first thing I would do... on Monday... is call Riverpark Support: (800) 442-7717

If you want to try the email route here's a link to their Support page:

https://riverparkinc.com/support/

PS. You should locate your Xite serial number before calling them.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:01 AM   #7
Site Team

Your "5v to 0v and back to 5v" kind of sounds like a bad/loose ground. Just a theory to consider.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My camera was going in and out. Decided to replace head unit and it has been performing perfectly since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56477273-0F23-4F1B-95C2-A80ACA342190.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	178275  
Old 04-11-2021, 08:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Creativepart - Thanks for the suggestions. I've had long email conversations with the folks at Riverpark. Helpful as far as it goes, but I question customer supports technical abilities. They have provided me some information that is not already posted on their web site.

This problem has been present since the RV was new. The first owner tried to have it repaired as did I. Last effort was to replace the system. The monitor and core unit were replaced and the camera was to be replaced, but I've discovered that the camera and its video cable was not. The replacement of the core unit seemed to make it work for a while but now it has failed again. My analysis after many hours of testing and disassembly has led me to the conclusion that either the video cable is corrupted or the camera is bad or both. The image is not just coming and going with a "No Video Detected". The image will tear and then go out. Sometimes return, but mostly not.

Whichever, the video cable is unremovable and unreplaceable as is and a replacement camera is stupid expensive because it is proprietary. That's why I'm going to replace it with a wireless system.

My opinion regarding CW and their technical abilities cannot be put in print.

Creativepart - Good thought, but unfortunately not just a bad ground contact. The video cable has a coax connector at the core unit, so it's hard to have a bad connection. The measured voltages were taken at the camera end of the video cable with it still attached to the control unit. I agree the symptom is similar to a connection issue, but the testing seems more like a fault causing the circuitry in the core unit to protect itself. Just out of curiosity, I will test the voltage at the core unit connector the next time I have the unit pulled out.

I noticed that you also have a 24V, but your RV has a Sony unit. Was this how it came or did you install it yourself? The XITE unit in my RV is definitely not worth the price, but being the second owner, I had no say. Not ready to pull the whole system, but am looking at options none the less.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:16 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Just pulled my Xcite out this past week. Installed myself with the Sony unit.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #11
Site Team

If you decide to try the car stereo shop fix or to install a replacement here's a shop in Pensacola that's got decent reviews. I have no experience with these folks FYI.

https://qualitycarstereo.com/
Old 04-12-2021, 07:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Not ready to totally condemn the XITE radio ... yet. Thanks for the referral, but being pretty handy and a retired EE, I like to screw things up myself before seeking professional help. :-)

Which Sony unit did you choose and why? Was it difficult to integrate any steering wheel controls you might have had?
Old 04-14-2021, 07:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The issue I had with the XITE rear camera was the "blue screen-no video detected" message. The problem I found was with the connector located in the center console. I separated the console from the dash, because that seemed to be where RV mechanics gravitated when I'd take it in for service. What I found was that by wriggling the wire harness, the display would go on and off. I ended up using a splint to support the connector and taping the heck out of it to keep it rigid. So far, so good, but I expect future problems as the video is grainy because the harness connection is just not making good contact. I feel that at some point a wireless camera is in the cards.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:07 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Hodgens remote unit works well and is super easy to install
n9wdq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:32 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Possible camera cause

We had a problem with our 2016 24j Navion where the dealer couldnt figure it out due to intermittentancy. Our symptom was failure of video (usually blank screen but sometimes badly torn image). The small box someone referred to is something neither the head unit nor camera manufacturers made. I don't have details with me, but that was our issue.

The box is to allow multiple video inputs into the one video input on the head unit.

This took 1.5 yrs to find.

Write me if you need info but won’t be home for a week.
Rubidium7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:30 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the replies.

R2D2 - The initial diagnosis of my video problems was that the HD video connector in the rear of the control unit was broken, but the problem persisted after a new control unit was installed. There are a lot of cables stuffed behind the control unit that could cause the connector to break if too much pressure was applied, but I don't think that was my problem. My troubleshooting has uncovered that the CW techs did not replace the video cable and original camera and that's where the problem lies.

n9wdq - Thanks for the referral. If my current solution doesn't work, I'll look into the Hodgens.

Rubidium7 - Interesting handle. The earlier systems used a video multiplexer that allowed for multiple video sources to be presented to the control unit. Later models integrated that function into the control unit. These entertainment systems are too complex for most RVIA techs to handle. The only solution most can come up with is to remove and replace.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:56 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAT-LON View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

R2D2 - The initial diagnosis of my video problems was that the HD video connector in the rear of the control unit was broken, but the problem persisted after a new control unit was installed. There are a lot of cables stuffed behind the control unit that could cause the connector to break if too much pressure was applied, but I don't think that was my problem. My troubleshooting has uncovered that the CW techs did not replace the video cable and original camera and that's where the problem lies.
Yes! It seems everything runs through that console. I was shocked by the amount of wiring, which is very heavy and adds to the problem. That's why I splinted the connector.

Look forward to hear what you end up doing to resolve the problem.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:30 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

All of the components for the wireless solution to my problem have arrived. Tested everything on my bench and although the video wasn't exceptional, it is very usable. The distance from the rear of my RV to the dash is within its range, but going much further would probably be pushing it. There are better transmitter/receiver pairs on the market, but not I'm good.

I wired everything under the dash and jury rigged the camera at the rear of the RV. Video to the new monitor showed that there was good connection. When I plugged the video into the Xite XSG3NA "Aux Video" port and selected the camera input I got a "No Video Detected" message on the screen. Same happened when I shifted the transmission into reverse, so no joy yet.

According to the Xite tech. support, they indicated that if the radio doesn't see any input at their HD camera, the radio will revert to the "Aux video" input. Past emails with the Xite customer service also revealed that WGO had disabled the radios "Aux" inputs, one of which is the one I'm trying to use. So I'm thinking that since the "Aux" inputs are disabled in software, that this option is dead to me. The tech still says to just plug in the camera and all will be fine, but I think that is not the case.

The display that I bought is intended to be mounted to a backup mirror. Since I don't have one of those and can't add one due to the windshield curtains, I'm currently fabricating a mount that will place the display down in the dash cavity that's above the radio. One drawback on the camera, I plan to get power for it and the transmitter from a coach battery feed. There is no switched power where I'm working, so I'll have to add a power switch someplace to turn that stuff off when stopped to keep the coach batteries from being drained. Maybe I'll have an epiphany later and upgrade that portion.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:52 AM   #19
Site Team

I don't have much help to add here. I'll post this in case it's of some help, but I don't know if it will be.

My Xite system shows a dual function of XM radio info in the top 2" of the display and the GPS Mapping in the main function. I wanted to also see the rear view camera. Of course, I could replace the Map with the camera but I wanted all three things ALL the time.

So, I bought a cheap 9" monitor on Amazon. I made sure it was able to use both RCA and HDMI inputs. I think it was under $150 if I remember correctly. And it has it's own mount.

When I got it I thought I'd connect it via HDMI from the Xite Core Unit but when I removed the Core Unit before I could even try the HDMI I noticed the Camera input box had an unused RCA plug output. So, I ran a yellow video RCA cable from the input box (all three camera's are plugged into this box and then the box is plugged into the Core Unit) and into my external display. I then used the Xite settings to select the AUX input to be always on the review camera and BINGO. It worked.

I consider this more blind luck than anything smart. I'm still surprised it works.

Here's a link to the monitor I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/CAIRUTE-Inch-.../dp/B01HQC9IGQ

Here's a photo of it in operation in my driveway - far left monitor:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monitors:Dash.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	178385  
Old 04-18-2021, 08:26 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Nice...unfortunately for me , WGO disabled all unused ports in the core unit after they added the special HD camera input. Don't think that Xite will help me jail break the unit, so I'm stuck with adding another monitor.

Tags
camera