Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-29-2022, 05:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Angry View 24V 2018 replace rooftop HVAC

My rooftop air conditioner and heat pump is shot and needs replacement. The existing unit never really worked well and is very noisy. I asked the dealer if Winnebago has an upgraded model from the noisy Airxcel Coleman model 45054-8792. Airexel's new part number is 45004-8792. Any comments are welcomed. Thanks everyone.

DougH.
Dougherzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 08:02 AM   #2
Site Team

While it is possible to find quieter and more efficient A/C units for your RV this generally means you must buy a totally different brand. Staying with an Airxcel Coleman-Mach A/C will likely offer no improvement in the issues you are looking for - even if there is a new model number.

Changing brands can be a problem - not due to size as most are all the same - but due to thermostat and associated wiring. Though some newer brands have wiring adapters available.

German brand Truma advertises quieter and more power efficient A/Cs but mostly they seem to be for new factory installations by OEMs.

If your current inoperable A/C is 13.5k btu you can get a larger Coleman at 15k btu but it will likely be louder and less power efficient, just better at cooling off the entire RV. But, your current A/C could already be that larger size.

Also, be aware there have been shortages in RV A/C supplies. There may be a lengthy wait. So consider getting your order in early.
Old 12-29-2022, 08:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Vita 24P

Do your research as if yours was a 13.5 upgrading to a 15 will improve cooling. Seems there are so new units out there that may be quieter. However duct modifications will help both in noise and cooling.
Old 01-04-2023, 05:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you live in the semi-arid West or arid SW, you can get a lightweight, 12v evaporative cooler that drops right into the existing AC opening. Yes, you have to find some 12v wiring to connect to and add a water line, but the outcome is a system that can be used when boondocking in the middle of nowhere without running the generator or inverter. The unit is called a TurboKool and can lower outdoor temps by 20-30 degrees. BUT, you must leave a window partially open or run the vent fan on low because it works by displacing warm air with cool air, not by cooling existing inside air.

I have used only an evaporative cooler to cool my Denver-area house for 45 years and have never had a problem keeping it comfortable, even at 100 degrees outside. So, if my 2020 Navion 24V Coleman AC unit craters, I will replace it with a TurboKool. If I ever go east of I-35 in summer after replacing it, I will just buy one of those portable 120v refrigerated towers that takes up very little floor space and use it to cool the living-kitchen "room" by day and the bedroom at night.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have decided to go with the Coleman A/C Mach 15 w/heat pump, white in color. Model: 48004-666. Winnebego Ind at Forest River Iowa will install it. We are going there in May for the factory tour and I want to try the Service Shop out. FYI the Mach 15 is 2 inches taller than the Mach 10 I now have. Hope I don't regret it. Thanks all.

Doug H. 2018 View 24V.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:07 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougherzog View Post
FYI the Mach 15 is 2 inches taller than the Mach 10 I now have. Hope I don't regret it. Thanks all.
A year or so ago my rear A/C unit went out under warranty and my local shop gave me free use of a used Coleman-Mach 15 while the Mach 10 was slow to be delivered. It worked fine and the extra height made no difference other than it poked up higher on the roof.

PS. You misspoke… I’m sure you know it is Forest City, Iowa
Old 01-19-2023, 08:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks a lot.

Tags
ace, replace, roof, view