Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2024, 07:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New to the Forum with 2001 Chieftain 36W

Always nice to find another community, expands everyones' resources. I have a 2001 Chieftain 36w, high mileage but well cared for and very comfortable. I am a retired mechanic, and do much of my own stuff. Got this old girl to replace a 2003 Damon Challenger 348 that was taken from us by Hurrricane Ian.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Zigzag03,
She is a classic, to be sure. It is great that the 2001 Chieftain has a driver's door; something sorely missed in the newer Class As.
Brochure
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNTITLED.gif
Views:	11
Size:	452.7 KB
ID:	188863
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNTITLED2.gif
Views:	9
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	188864
Old 05-02-2024, 01:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

She is indeed a pretty old lady. She's been repainted, has beautiful woodwork inside. A little rusty underside-wise, but I'm working thru it. We're very please with there. Thanks for the brochure!

Edit: i do like the drivers door, but the older I get the more difficult it is to make that step!!
Old 05-03-2024, 07:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigzag03 View Post
i do like the drivers door, but the older I get the more difficult it is to make that step!!
I think I've only used my driver side door a couple of times the first month or so after I bought my 2002 Suncruiser. There's no way I could do it now.

Have fun.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 08:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

When learning a new RV, I like to look at where they put things! Are you aware of the info online?
Home site:
https://www.winnebago.com/
Lots of links to info under the owners tab!
Plumbing
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...m/Plumbing.htm
Parts can also help with plumbing at times
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
Electrical and it can help big time to NOT skip over the help notes down in lower left? All companies have different ways to show stuff, so sort out the "Winnebago way"?
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

Lots of dope there for a nasty, rainy, day!
Enjoy the trek!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 08:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Not to scare you, but read up on the Winnebago windshield leak issues. It has to do with rusting of the steel mounting frame and can be catastrophic. In extreme cases, it's necessary to remove the windshield(s), treat and/or repair the frame. In more minor cases, a strip of tape (I like Gorilla All-Weather tape) across the top of the black moulding will suffice. It's easy to remove and will last for years. I have a piece covering up a phone number on my Econoline van's side window and it appears to be unchanged for at least four years.

I initially used Eternabond, which was a bear to remove when I had to have my passenger windshield replaced and my driver windshield removed for frame repair. Read my post #3 on this thread for what my problem was:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ld-363115.html

The tape isn't a bad idea even if you don't currently have a leak. The black moulding is cosmetic and doesn't seal. Just tape the top edge so water has a place to go if it gets behind the moulding.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Morich, I am aware of those links, and between here, where I am new, and IIRV where I've been a member for years, there are many sources. The best are folks like yourself and BobC, to whom I'll say I was not aware of the windshield problem specific to this model at least. This rig was completely repainted and reroofed back in 2017, and while I don't know if they had this problem and addressed it then, I'll surely be watching it closely going forward! I thank you both.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the kudos. I'm guessing you have HWH slides and jacks. If so, there's some good information here:

https://www.hwhcorp.com/winnebago2017_diagrams.html

HWH had a problem with their hoses in the early 2000s in terms of them leaking at the ferrules. I had to replace four hoses. One thing to keep in mind is that many of the hydraulic hoses seem excessively long. This is by design in order to balance the flow between the hoses. Don't be tempted to neaten things up with shorter hoses.

Pre-Covid, HWH was very responsive but, like most companies, had supply chain issue that may or may not be a problem. Each hose has a plastic tag near the ferrules with the part number so it's easy to order what you need. I've found that, if it's difficult to read, a cell phone photo helps since you can adjust the contrast.

Also azpete is a Winnieowner who is, or used to be an HWH employee. He's a wealth of information. His responses to posts are full of information.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

When I was struggling with jack issues on the old Damon, I found HWH to be very helpful, and with this Winnie I've not had a problem as yet, but i'll inspect hoses more regularly. This rig was bought new by a couple from Indiana/Florida who drove it all over. It's wintered in snowmobile country, it's been to Mexico a few times I'm told. They are getting older, not comfortable with their abilities to "cruise" like they did, and sold it to a guy who was scared by it, used it once (with someone else driving) and I acquired it then. I have met the original couple and they are lovely people, and spared no expense on their home. I was lucky to come across it, and proud to continue their stewardship of this nice old rig.

Tags
forum