Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-25-2023, 09:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question about Aspect / Cambria

I know these have the fiberglass roof but are they the style where they interlock down the sides and if the sealant breaks down water can get into the walls? I know Winnebago used this design on their class A's of that era but not sure about the C's.
FT RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:10 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi FT RV,
My understanding of it is an Aspect is just a fancy Minnie Winnie with no over-cab berth. Because it has the one-piece fiberglass nose shell, it should be very leak-resistant up-front. The brochure describes the construction of the roof-to-sidewall interlock, and yes, if the sealant breaks-down, water can get into the walls. The sealant should be inspected often and repaired if a tree limb scratched a chunk of it off.
So, you thinking of buying one?
Thanks, Eagle5.
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNTITLED.gif
Views:	28
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	187407
Old 09-25-2023, 10:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, yes I am actively searching for a 27K in my price range. I have come across two that had leak issues, I suspect due to lack of roof maintenance
Old 09-25-2023, 10:49 AM   #4
Site Team

If you can then, opt for a 2016 or a 2017, as those are the only two years that have the 6-speed automatic. You will be able to tell from the drive selector, which will say:
  • Park
  • Neutral
  • Overdrive
  • 4th
  • 2nd
  • 1st
It is possible that a 2016 was built with a 2015 chassis. The 2015 and older 5-speeds will still work, but they will scream the engine going uphill on cruise control if you're not careful.
Let us know; thanks, Eagle5
Old 09-25-2023, 11:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the tip Eagle! 2016's are on the brink of my budget and finding a late build that uses a '16 chassis may prove difficult. These units seem to be pretty rare to begin with.
Old 09-25-2023, 02:10 PM   #6
Aspect 30J

Hi FT RV
I have an Aspect 30J... 2015 model and I love it. The fiberglass roof is tucked into the gutter channel, (I guess that's what it's called). It is sealed and you do need to check it at least annually. It is sealed with a sealant that will crack, more often at the very front edge. I have found that by pressing on the edge of the roof where it is tucked into the gutter you will see if the sealant is viable without cracking.
My Aspect has approximately 12,000 miles and I have traveled in the NC mountains and it does scream when climbing as my unit has only a 5 speed transmission. But it does pull up hill well while towing a 3500 lb. GMC Terrain. Down hill, using the tow-haul mode is a real winner and hasn't required a lot of braking. I do use the tow-haul mode both climbing and downhill.
Good luck in your search !
MovingMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 03:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The one piece fiberglass roof that you are referring to is held in place with the sealant in the side channels. If the sealant fails, you won't get water in the walls but what can happen is the roof edge can pop out of the channel and get torn off if you are moving. It happens especially on 2 lane roads where traffic coming from the opposite direction creates a sudden side force wind.

If you look at the diagram below it shows how the fiberglass is tucked into the aluminum extrusion which has weep holes along the bottom, on the outside of the exterior walls. So no water will leak into your walls, it will run down the outside, but you could lose your roof!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roof edge.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	187409  
Old 09-25-2023, 03:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the awesome diagram! That really helps, good to know about the weep holes and the potential loss of roof if sealant is not kept in check.
Old 10-07-2023, 01:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

And you will want to use the winnebago specified sealant for this seam which is different than the roof sealant.
Joetiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 01:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetiii View Post
And you will want to use the winnebago specified sealant for this seam which is different than the roof sealant.

I did some research and I found it to be Geocel proflex clear