Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Aspect/Cambria 27/30 wardrobe slide vs bed

I have seen that on the current Aspect/Cambria 30J with the Ideal Rest mattress, you cannot open the wardrobe doors in the bedroom slide when the slide is in.

I am interested in the Aspect/Cambria 27K which has the exact same bedroom slide arrangement.

My question is: Can you open the wardrobe doors with the slide in if the RV has the standard mattress?

If not, has anyone done a "fix" for this? i.e. a thinner mattress, or ?

Thanks!

..Mike
gandalf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
JBP
Winnie-Wise

We have a 2015 Cambria 27K. You are correct that with the ideal rest you can not open the wardrobe doors. The slide is a small one and easy to run out. We always put one change of underware in the over the bed cabinets. This is if we stop for the night some place that we don't want to run the side out. In 6000 moles of travel that has never happened. The 27Kand the 30J bedrooms are identical.
If you decide to get the 27K look at the easy rest couch in place of the dinette. It makes into a bed and is more comfortable to watch TV. The dinette gives you more storage space.
If you want more details let me know.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Jim & Pat,
I'm looking at a 2013 Cambria 27k on Saturday. Any model specific issues that I should be aware of?
Chriswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:24 AM   #4
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Check to see which water heater it has. If it has the continuous make sure that you see it work (option). Check to see that the dinette goes up and down easily. Sometimes they get damaged if you push on the end to put them down and not the middle. Check to see if it has leveling jacks (option). Make sure that the gas struts that hold rear door open work. I have had to replace one. Make sure the gps works. My SD Card went bad. Get under it and look at the air ride bags. Check to see that they are inflated. The inflation point is on the rear driver's side wheel well. I set mine at 45 PSI. Outside entertainment system make sure it works. It is in the rear cargo bay passenger side. It will be on back wall. Don't know if the 13 has led lights if so make sure that they are all working. If it has roof hatch check the seal (option).
I real like ours. Let me know if you get it.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks JBP for your answer.

Still curious if you can open the wardrobe doors with the slide in and a standard mattress.

I find it very odd that Winnebago didn't just shorten the doors an inch or so to make this possible even with the ideal rest mattress.

Most other RVs, and even other Winnebago models, you can open wardrobe doors with the slide in.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:26 AM   #6
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Chriswar ask Winnebago? Is the unit you are looking at at a dealer? If so measure a mattress in another and see. They could have lowered the bed a few inches and accomplished the same. But you would be giving up fresh water. The tank is under the bed. Wife and I always change out the mattress in a coach for a sleep number or ideal rest. Sleep number has a lower profile mattress. We found it when we wanted to change it in our last coach. The foot of the bed went under the wardrobe closet. I know Winne has mattress that they place in their loft beds that would probable work. One of my coaches had one and it was not too bad. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

No, there are no 27Ks within the state and no 30Js that have the standard mattress, so that is why I put the question out there hoping someone who had the standard mattress could answer the question.

You are right that I could measure whatever overhang there is between the closet door and the mattress frame and look for something that would fit...or shove the whole mattress aside whenever I needed to get in.

Still would have been easier if Winnebago had thunk this through.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #8
JBP
Winnie-Wise

From the platform that supports the mattress to the top of the mattress is 9 1/2 inches. This does not count a pillow top or bedding. From top of platform to bottom edge of door is 6 7/8 inch. This may very a little based on coaches but these dimensions should be very close. I believe that sleep number makes a mattress that is 7 inches tall inflated. make sure that you check the length before you buy a mattress. If you need any other dimension let me know. Hope that this helps.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Yes, that helps a lot! Thank you!

..Mike

Tags
slide