Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-23-2023, 03:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Leaks a few days after rain 2020 View 24D

Any suggestions why I am getting water dripping in cab area from corner of sun visors and even from around overhead console. Had RV service dealer caulk any voids over cab and side rails at $1000K plus. They addressed overhead running lites side windows etc.

Drive thru heavy rain three days ago but drip didn’t dhow up for like three days. When it did show up we were on I77 running north thru West Virginia.

Anyone else have similar issues???

Is it condisation from AC or rain ? DOESNT SEEM TO SHOW UP IMMEDIATELY DURING RAIN OR SHEN USING AC?

Bob
Bobbettyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 05:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Bob,
Is the resealing work still under warrantee? I know I avoid low-hanging branches because they can scrape-through the sealant on the roof. Barring some sort of overhead damage, your dealership might review their work for no additional fee.
Eagle5
Old 09-24-2023, 10:29 AM   #3
'21 View 24J

Have you got any water under the mattress in the overhead bunk?
Ontario Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 01:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Yes toward the front end of bunk.
Hopefully you have some easy magical solution
Thank you
Bobbettyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 03:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

There is no magic solution to roof leaks and boy dose this sound similarity to a problem we had with our 2021 #24V. On a heavy rain it would show up sooner. Some times with no rain in the recent week we'd be driving down the highway and it would just start pouring out the center console and or the visor mounts.The head liner in the cab was acting like a holding pond Facing nose uphill would reduce or eliminate the leaking. I removed the wall panels and the head liner and waited for a heavy rain to find the leak. For me water was entering on the drivers side where the dome meets the flat roof. Way far back from where it was leaking out. Contact me thru email if you would like photos of my findings.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 03:44 PM   #6
'21 View 24J

I'm with Sparky, no magical solution.

We almost bought a View off the dealer's lot back in '19, but we got flooded from the same areas you mentioned, during our test drive. We wanted to know where the leak was originating, but after they had a look - all they could say was they were going to start by replacing all the sealant along the top bunkover / roof seam. Sounds like Sparky's finding.

It was quite a bit of water being stored under the bunk mattress. We did not see the coach back on the lot for a couple of months.

All the best for a quick resolution.

Cheers,
Ontario Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 09:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I had the same issue on my 2020 24D. I removed the awning and caulked the roof seam under it before reinstalling the awning and the issue went away. Of course, you should inspect the roof seam all the way around.

The awning is held on by 3 or 4 1/4 inch screws that clamp it on. Had to disconnect the wiring first. This is not an easy job.
Old 09-27-2023, 04:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My guess would be where the Winnebago installed fiberglass overhang meets the Sprinter chassis roof. I have a 2012 Journey and it leaked between the upper cap and the metal frame that holds the windshield. I know its a totally different design, but Winnebago fiberglass cap to frames have sealant or lack of sealant issues.
Old 09-27-2023, 05:40 PM   #9
ACB
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbettyl View Post
Any suggestions why I am getting water dripping in cab area from corner of sun visors and even from around overhead console. Had RV service dealer caulk any voids over cab and side rails at $1000K plus. They addressed overhead running lites side windows etc.

Drive thru heavy rain three days ago but drip didn’t dhow up for like three days. When it did show up we were on I77 running north thru West Virginia.

Anyone else have similar issues???

Is it condisation from AC or rain ? DOESNT SEEM TO SHOW UP IMMEDIATELY DURING RAIN OR SHEN USING AC?

Bob
Lots of good responses here . In my 35 years experience the majority of leak issues over cab bunks, doors, windows, etc., are related to sealant issues. The truth is they crack or dry out quickly. They recommend checking ALL sealants twice a year. The roof to side walls sealant are also an issue on Winnebagos. Don’t get me wrong, it like and own a Winnebago too, and all Manufacturers experience the same issues.

I’ve got a 2022 Vista and have had the entire roof resealed this month. No leaks but the sealant was cracking in large areas.

Good luck with your rig.
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 06:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2012 Vista 26p with leaking from right forward ceiling area.
Anyone have any recommendations?

Robert
rjadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 07:15 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

We have a new 22 View and have the exact same leaking issue. It started the day we drove it off the dealers lot, 15 months ago. Drove 1 mile, turned around and dropped it back off. Water leaking in the center console as well as both the right side and left side visors. It has been back to the dealership 4 times and we are still having leaking issues as of last week. The only thing we have going for us is that we called Winnebago after the 3rd visit while our unit was under full warranty so all future repairs for this will be covered. But like the previous posters have said ours doesn’t leak while it is sitting idle. You have to be driving it and sometimes it takes 15 minutes driving on the highway before the waters starts coming out. So far it has been at the dealership for a total of 6 months of the 15 months of ownership. Extremely frustrating for a brand new unit. It’s going back to the dealership next week and if they do fix it I will be sure to past what they did.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 08:42 PM   #12
Site Team

Greetings BigCat,
I look forward to your report, and hope it is the prevailing solution for the leaks.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 10-14-2023, 09:45 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
But like the previous posters have said ours doesn’t leak while it is sitting idle.
I disagree with this statement. I was parked facing downhill, just a 2% grade but after a haven rain I found the cup holders below the radio to be filled with water. At first I regretted allowing the warranty to expire but after my first event with the dealer on a warranty issue I wasn't going back. To find my leak I first removed the side panels on the upper bunk checking the windows. Ran a garden hose on low over each window. Start at the bottom and work your way. Go slow,it takes a while. I then reluctantly removed the head liner figuring it may be the marker lights on front of the bunk. No luck there. Then removed the next section of the head liner. After each section was remove water was flowed slowly over the outside. Finally the leak appeared but no where close to the sun visor mounts or the center dome light.
Here is a photo of where the water was entering the RV. (Yes my RV is dirty and its raining today) As for the water not appearing sometimes until after some driving I figure the water is finding a place to hide in the head liner over the drivers compartment. Then its slowing works it way to be your shower while your driving. Sometimes I would be a 100 miles from home before the shower started.
Yes it was a royal PITA but in the long run less stress than dealing with the stupidity of the dealer and five trips back. Its been two years now, a lot of trips and no leaks. I'll do an inspection next week before shoving off for FL for four weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drivers side .jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	187570  
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaks, view