Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-05-2020, 08:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question on 2020 View 24D

Just about ready to downsize to a 2020 View 24D (diesel generator and auto levelers). The unit is in GA, dealer in NC, and I am in Virginia. I have some questions on the unit.
1. What is the approximate OCCC for the unit? I have been waiting for this info from the dealer, who stated he would get it to me last week.
2. Does the unit come with holding tank heaters?
3. I was told that the Mercedes diesel requires fuel with no more than 5% bio. If fact, has anyone had issues with fuel management with the restrictions when traveling cross country?

Any info would be appreciated.
Bbblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:51 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

1. OCCC is vehicle specific as it depends on what options have been ordered. Rough estimate is around 1100 lbs.

2. Holding tank heaters have always been optional.

3. The 5% biodiesel is a bit of a myth but the latest engines no longer have the restriction and can use up to 20% biodiesel. Check your chassis build date and owners manual. BTW, Mercedes over the past few years has taken a more practical approach to biodiesel and really comes down to "it won't hurt but if you have to use 20% bio all of the time, check your oil more frequently, change your oil at 10k miles, and no excessive idling".
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the reply. I didn't see any option to add the tank heater.
Bbblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:37 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbblue View Post
Thanks for the reply. I didn't see any option to add the tank heater.
It's a factory option. Since you're looking at a RV on a dealer's lot it either had those installed when it was built or it didn't.

You can add tank heaters after the fact but it's not the most efficient nor is it all that inexpensive.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

On the 2020 the tank heaters are standard. There are not many options for the 2020 models.

Diesel gen, full body paint, lithium batteries, acrylic windows, hydraulic levelers, and cab seat covers are about the only options available. All others are standard part of the build. There is one downgrade option of chassis exchange which is the cheaper chassis with smaller navigation screen, and other downgraded chassis features.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My 2020 View 24D has tank heaters standard, as Crah says.

My OCC is 1138 lbs - I have full body paint, dual-pane window option, and stabilizers, not jacks. I don't think the cab seat covers make a difference.

your the diesel gen and jacks might add a few pounds.

I haven't had any issues with diesel fuel mostly turnpike stops and local Exxon station so far. I have a buddy who has a 2013 View, lives in AZ and he's been back and forth across the country 6 times so far. He did note a little power loss sometimes when he had to use some of the other blends, but no other issues. He has his View serviced at his Mercedes dealer yearly - so changes his oil at less-than 10K mile intervals.

I live in Maryland and got my unit in PA. Very few problems compared to my Tiffin class A - and that didn't have any major issues either.....

good luck and enjoy.
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi
We have a 24d and love it. Our son is a Mercedes mechanic and he said to stick to the 5% diesel otherwise your engine is going to get gunked up. We have better luck at Shell and Chevron. With the little rig we don’t have issues getting in and out of stations.
PaulandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Hi. Keep away from bio fuel if you can and 5% at most as it plugs up fuel systems and pollutlon controls. Used it once and was warned by the gas station attendant. Two days later my 2018 view would barely start and run. Put diesel fuel cleaner and drove it 120 miles before it finally cleaned out. The trip was pretty scary as I would cruise at 65 and then drop to 45 until the junk went through the filter. If regular diesel is available, don't risk bio fuel !! Mercedes aren't meant to run on it.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
My 2020 View 24D has tank heaters standard, as Crah says.

My OCC is 1138 lbs - I have full body paint, dual-pane window option, and stabilizers, not jacks. I don't think the cab seat covers make a difference.

your the diesel gen and jacks might add a few pounds.

I haven't had any issues with diesel fuel mostly turnpike stops and local Exxon station so far. I have a buddy who has a 2013 View, lives in AZ and he's been back and forth across the country 6 times so far. He did note a little power loss sometimes when he had to use some of the other blends, but no other issues. He has his View serviced at his Mercedes dealer yearly - so changes his oil at less-than 10K mile intervals.

I live in Maryland and got my unit in PA. Very few problems compared to my Tiffin class A - and that didn't have any major issues either.....

good luck and enjoy.

I just bought a 2021 View 24D with full body paint, dual pane windows, diesel gen and auto leveling jacks. My OCCC is 887 lbs, over 250 lbs less than yours Dave-Oh. Does that mean the leveling system weighs over 250 lbs? You'd think with the stock stabilizers would add some weight and those have been removed to make way for the leveling jacks. Does anyone know if the diesel gen weighs more than the stock propane gen? Maybe some undisclosed difference between the 2020 and 2021 is effecting the OCCC?
banjobiotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobiotic View Post
I just bought a 2021 View 24D with full body paint, dual pane windows, diesel gen and auto leveling jacks. My OCCC is 887 lbs, over 250 lbs less than yours Dave-Oh. Does that mean the leveling system weighs over 250 lbs? You'd think with the stock stabilizers would add some weight and those have been removed to make way for the leveling jacks. Does anyone know if the diesel gen weighs more than the stock propane gen? Maybe some undisclosed difference between the 2020 and 2021 is effecting the OCCC?
I haven't done the research, but the jacks do weigh a bit more as does the diesel generator. I also have the lithium batteries which save quite a bit of weight per battery compared to the agms. Don't know what else would do it....

My buddy just bought a 2021, I'll ask him what his OCCC is...he got full body paint, dual pane windows, not sure what generator he's got, and the standard batteries.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Our 21VD came with full body paint and diesel generator with OCCC of 1036.

We then added HWH leveling system plus two residential style solar panels and regained some cargo weight by removing the stabilizers and upgrading to lithium batteries.

The HWH leveling kit weight is 170 pounds (according to their website). I think the stabilizers weigh around 70-80 - so adding leveling and removing the stabilizers should be around 100 net cargo weight loss. HOWEVER, if you don't have the leveling system, you'd probably have to carry something to help in manually leveling the RV - so the net cargo weight loss will be less.

Adding jack pads to the leveling jacks will add more weight - probably 30-40 pounds.

The diesel generator weighs 205 lbs; the LP generator weighs 178 lbs. So having a diesel generator reduces cargo weight by 27 lbs, which isn't too bad.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I haven't done the research, but the jacks do weigh a bit more as does the diesel generator. I also have the lithium batteries which save quite a bit of weight per battery compared to the agms. Don't know what else would do it....

My buddy just bought a 2021, I'll ask him what his OCCC is...he got full body paint, dual pane windows, not sure what generator he's got, and the standard batteries.
Did you find out what your Buddy’s occc is?
Old 10-09-2020, 10:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
Our 21VD came with full body paint and diesel generator with OCCC of 1036.

We then added HWH leveling system plus two residential style solar panels and regained some cargo weight by removing the stabilizers and upgrading to lithium batteries.

The HWH leveling kit weight is 170 pounds (according to their website). I think the stabilizers weigh around 70-80 - so adding leveling and removing the stabilizers should be around 100 net cargo weight loss. HOWEVER, if you don't have the leveling system, you'd probably have to carry something to help in manually leveling the RV - so the net cargo weight loss will be less.

Adding jack pads to the leveling jacks will add more weight - probably 30-40 pounds.

The diesel generator weighs 205 lbs; the LP generator weighs 178 lbs. So having a diesel generator reduces cargo weight by 27 lbs, which isn't too bad.
I’m still trying to figure out why my occc is so low at 887. The only differences between your build and mine are dual pane windows and auto leveling jacks. I would think the acrylic windows would be lighter than glass. The stock stabilzer jacks weigh about 70-80 lbs and have been removed. That would mean that the leveling system installed by Winnebao is around 230 lbs, 60 lbs more than the HWH system. I’m Just guessing at some of these numbers. I thought 887 would be ok when I bought it, but now with a heavy duty hitch style bike rack, bikes, and all my other stuff I’m definitely maxing our my occc. Trying to figure if there’s any way I can get some back.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:59 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

We started with OCCC of 1036.

Added 135 net for jacks and pads, 30 for diesel gen, and another 80 for solar panels. That brings us down to 800. Guessing we saved about 60 for the lithium batteries, putting us around 860 OCCC.

Small Class C Sprinter RVs aren't going to have a lot of OCCC. And after passengers and water, not much left for cargo...
Old 10-10-2020, 05:37 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
He's on the road. We'll be talking again shortly. Stand by!
Old 10-12-2020, 05:17 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
He finally replied: it is 946 lbs. 2021 View 24D. He has the dual-pane window option, full body paint and a diesel generator.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:24 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
He finally replied: it is 946 lbs. 2021 View 24D. He has the dual-pane window option, full body paint and a diesel generator.

Seems like the only difference between your build and his is you have the lithium batteries and he has the diesel generator. Seems like those two items wouldn't account for the 192 lbs difference in ya'lls occc. I have the same build as your buddy except with the leveling jacks and the difference in our occc is only 59 lbs. rprochnow started with occc of 1036 and only options were full body paint and diesel gen, so only difference there between him and your buddy is the windows, which would mean that the dual pane windows add 90 lbs.

rprochnow estimates 30 lbs for the diesel gen and a savings of 60 lbs with the lithium batteries. That still leaves a discrepancy of 100 lbs between Dave-Oh and his buddy. I'm starting to think the 2021 is a little heavier stock than the 2020, even though they are advertised as being exactly the same.

Not much I can do about my own occc other than get the leveling jacks removed (which I am loath to do) and gain a little by switching to lithium batteries. But I'm hoping that by getting a somewhat clearer picture of what the OCCC is for these vehicles stock and how much weight the various options add, this thread might be able to help potential buyers.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:19 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

There appears to be two versions of 2021 Views/Navions.

Our 21VD is built on a 2019 Sprinter chassis and has the small rear taillights.

There's another version of the 21VD with tall thin rear taillights, which I suspect is built on the 2020 Sprinter chassis.

It's possible that may account for some of the weight difference.

Also... Based on a quick internet search about OCCC for RVs, it appears there was a ruling that was effective in 2008, that was supposed to require dealers to add a corrected OCCC sticker after options have been added prior to the first retail sale.

As far as I can tell, the sticker we have is the original Winnebago sticker - haven't seen a second sticker with a correction for the dealer-added options.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

The best way to know your OCCC is to take it to a truck scales. Put in what you want to travel with and weigh it.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:38 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

As of 2021 Mercedes still warns against using anything higher than BD5 biodiesel fuel in the engine. Biodiesel is more prone to gelling and this clogs the fuel filter, especially in cold weather. Diesel fuel additives with stabilizers do help and they cost about $7 per treatment.

Paying the $15 at a CAT scale is something I do with a new rig and again when it is fully loaded for a trip. Lets me know exactly how much stuff we have added. I focus on the load capacity of the tires at each axle as the tires are the limiting factor in terms of the GVWR.

With passenger vehicles the load capacity calculates 150 lbs per occupant and so regular cab pickups will have a much higher payload rating than a crew cab version of the same truck. I would expect with some RV's now providing seat belts and seating for up to 6 passengers this could be factored into the OCCC calculation.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote