Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-29-2023, 03:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

help with electrical issue on 2015 22R

In 2021 I put 400 watts of solar power on top of my rig. Everything went great but we learned that we needed bigger batteries.

So we bought 2x 300ah lithium iron phosphate batteries in 2022. I installed them under the bench seating and while I was running the new cable under the RV my friend "helped" by unscrewing the existing cable. Then when I went to attach it, he couldn't remember what it attached to.

So two questions:

1) what is that in the picture? I don't know what to call it nor what it does exactly.
2) where should the positive cable attach?

I couldn't find any documentation on this in my manual. Is there a place to go for better documentation? I guess that's three questions.

Thanks for reading and for any help,

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230429_134646.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	185787  
Bill Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 04:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Okay, we should be able to get some ideas going as this is a pretty well laid out spot on the drawings.
First, I took the liberty of turning your picture over to match the way the drawings come up!
The drawings for this are here, if you want to do more looking?
The whole group of wiring:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File..._322r_wire.htm
The part of your RV as shown in picture?
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_183673.pdf
There is a section at top left of sheet one to tell which page to meet your 22R model and I "think"" it sends us to sheet 5 at detail EA at right side of sheet? Maybe check that if you have options, etc that is different as things can be different with early or later builds but this seems to match what I see from here!

Name:	bat box copy.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	185799

Name:	bat box 1 copy.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	185800

I numbered them with one as the silver solenoid and went clockwise to four?
No 1

Name:	number 1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	185801
no 2

Name:	number 2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	185802
no 3

Name:	number 3.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	185803
no 4

Name:	number 4.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	185804
There is a parts catalog here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

By going with name rank and serial number, we can sort down to most any section and parts we want to find or find the name of it as there is a list at the right side of the drawings. Click on list to make it go yellow on drawing or click drawing part to highlight to ID on list!

There is also a Code for the battery cables!

[/ATTACH]

A part I can't see from here may help sort which drawing as Winnebago puts wire stamps on the side of small wires:

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	185806

If you can read the label on the side of those small yellow and white wires, you can get info on them on this list:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

I "think" that last cable goes on the right side of the solenoid that I listed as part 1 but there is enough doubt in that so that I don't want to recommend putting it there without checking the other parts. There are lots of things That I can't see from here.

Sorry to hit you with so much info but so many guesses but I don't want to tell you something totally wrong!!

Check and test the info before believing anything on the internet!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	battery cable ID.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	185805  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 02:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you very much!
Bill Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 03:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Just as an added thought, If that is the common "mode solenoid" that is used to tie coach and chassis batteries together when we are driving or when we push a dash ("boost, mode, aux?) switch there is likely to be a chassis battery on one big lug and coach on the other side.
One way to sort if that is the right story is if you find that center small wire labeled LR. That would tell me that is really the mode solenoid. That is a common item to have trouble as it pulls the contacts togher every time we start the rV and they tend to arc and corrode quicker than we would like. Common complaint when the coach batteries stop charging as we drive.

They do have a bad habit of calling things by idfferent names at different times , so is solenoid sealed the mode solenoid by a different name??

Maybe one to keep in mind for future use!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical