Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-07-2023, 08:22 PM   #1
Willow Rider

Equalizer Leveler System Leakage? 2021 View 24D

We have added a step to our pre-trip checklist involving the Equalizer Leveler System that came installed on our 2021 View 24D when we bought it new in 2020. The system’s warning beep recently started sounding off when we started the engine and engaged a gear after the View has been in storage for a few weeks. We now do a full, auto-retract before each trip, and almost always there is at least some retracting.

Is this normal? I am concerned the system is starting to fail.

Thanks for any counsel.
WillowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 05:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Both coaches we've owned (2020 Jayco Precept and current 2023 View 24D) have the EQ Smart system. At times, both have required "All Retract" upon startup. Concerning at first, but otherwise they've operated fine. Nature of the beast, maybe?
MRichaud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 07:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It's a system that is new to me so no real experience with it!
But there are often things which may be near the same and relate, so I might make a suggestion as an easy one to check before too much worry?

HWH is the old line system that many have used and there is a fairly common issue that may fit what you have.

It is a hydraulic system and that means it has a pump to build pressure and force fluid to the correct points when solenoids are opened or closed electrically.
One point that is easy to see is if those solenoids get a bit worn and a little fluid leaks past the seals on the solenoid. That oozing past can lets some of the fluid move.
Possibly the solenoids are actually letting the jacks creep slightly?
Can you see if the jacks have actually moved down when the light comes on?

That seems pretty odd for such a new RV, but just something to consider, while another point seems more likely!

On the HWH system, the alarm is not really sensing the jacks moving when the "jacks down" alarm comes on!
When the jacks extend, fluid from the tank is moved into the lines, so an easy way to sense the jacks being down is to put a float switch on the tank.
Simple thinking is that if the tank fluid is low, the jacks must be down! DUH?

What we often find is the jacks are still up but the fluid in the tank has gotten low!

This can sometimes be spotted if the alarm comes on when the RV moves on corners, etc. where the tank fluid level changes. If the alarm comes on when the RV is tilted, like on corners, but good when level, check the fluid!

Hydraulics, being under extreme high pressure makes oozing an almost constant question. Every time we extend the jacks they slide out all wet and slick but that film is lost, so eventually the tank level gets low and the alarm says the jacks are down!

Wild guess, but maybe check the manual for the correct way to measure the fluid and give it a check?
Sometimes it's the simple things that they don't tell us, that add up to vex us so bad!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 01:36 PM   #4
Willow Rider

Thanks to both!
MRichaud - Reassuring to hear I’m not alone. Will continue to check.
Moriah - Nice discussion on hydraulic systems. The part about sensors and fluid levels is intriguing. I’ll do a visual check the next time and then maybe have Freedom RV in Tucson do a system test.
Again, thanks to you both for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.
WillowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

We have a super good system from Winnebago for looking at things like the pump:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

If we drill down to the leveling system, they give us some really good ideas of what we have!
Click this snip for a better view!
For pump and tank location
Click image for larger version

Name:	t1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	187789
And to find the dipstick/plug
Click image for larger version

Name:	t2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	187790
There may be a booklet in the bag of info to tell exactly but it looks very much like HWH with the pump to the left and tank at right. Then the big trick to HWH is that they have a plug on the side which is easy to spot but it is the wrong one!
The wrong one lets fluid gush out and down your arm!
No big thing but it does get messy!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 04:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I'll also add; don't be shy about calling Equalizer tech support. Great folks to work with who will answer any questions/concerns you have.
MRichaud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 04:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
It's a system that is new to me so no real experience with it!
But there are often things which may be near the same and relate, so I might make a suggestion as an easy one to check before too much worry?

HWH is the old line system that many have used and there is a fairly common issue that may fit what you have.

It is a hydraulic system and that means it has a pump to build pressure and force fluid to the correct points when solenoids are opened or closed electrically.
One point that is easy to see is if those solenoids get a bit worn and a little fluid leaks past the seals on the solenoid. That oozing past can lets some of the fluid move.
Possibly the solenoids are actually letting the jacks creep slightly?
Can you see if the jacks have actually moved down when the light comes on?

That seems pretty odd for such a new RV, but just something to consider, while another point seems more likely!

On the HWH system, the alarm is not really sensing the jacks moving when the "jacks down" alarm comes on!
When the jacks extend, fluid from the tank is moved into the lines, so an easy way to sense the jacks being down is to put a float switch on the tank.
Simple thinking is that if the tank fluid is low, the jacks must be down! DUH?

What we often find is the jacks are still up but the fluid in the tank has gotten low!

This can sometimes be spotted if the alarm comes on when the RV moves on corners, etc. where the tank fluid level changes. If the alarm comes on when the RV is tilted, like on corners, but good when level, check the fluid!

Hydraulics, being under extreme high pressure makes oozing an almost constant question. Every time we extend the jacks they slide out all wet and slick but that film is lost, so eventually the tank level gets low and the alarm says the jacks are down!

Wild guess, but maybe check the manual for the correct way to measure the fluid and give it a check?
Sometimes it's the simple things that they don't tell us, that add up to vex us so bad!!
Hydraulic cylinders are really not supposed to be wet and slick. It sounds like the cylinders need to be rebuilt. The system should not be losing fluid. My apologies to the OP.
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, view