Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-16-2024, 02:35 PM   #1
Tof
Winnebago Camper

Confusion Finding Converter in 2012 Navion 24J

Just purchased 2012 Winnebago Navion 24J. Need help finding the Schumacher Converter/Charger disconnect. It was our plan to install a Progressive Dynamics smart converter if I can successfully put our intermittent albatross to sleep. Have been looking at wiring diagrams online with little success.
Any assistance would be most appreciated.
Tof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 03:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

That would be build as part of the load center, on the rear as know it?? For wire info, this drawing may help:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_177137.pdf
Sheet 1 indicates 5th breaker down on left side, combined on 15 amp breaker with frig!
Label info is on drawing at top left?
Then a bit more info by looking at note 5 on lower left side and drawing?

Converter wiring has never been totally clear to me from these drawings but it becomes closer when I look at it next to the converter!
How to spilt off the AC input side and still maintain or replace the DC output side is still an open question!

Click this snip or go direct for the full picture?
Click image for larger version

Name:	conv.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	188223

See if that helps?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 03:31 PM   #3
Tof
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
That would be build as part of the load center, on the rear as know it?? For wire info, this drawing may help:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_177137.pdf
Sheet 1 indicates 5th breaker down on left side, combined on 15 amp breaker with frig!
Label info is on drawing at top left?
Then a bit more info by looking at note 5 on lower left side and drawing?

Converter wiring has never been totally clear to me from these drawings but it becomes closer when I look at it next to the converter!
How to spilt off the AC input side and still maintain or replace the DC output side is still an open question!

Click this snip or go direct for the full picture?
Attachment 188223

See if that helps?
Many thanks for the drawing. What I am attempting to do is kill the 110 inputs to the converter. Common logic would assume there is a fuse, switch or circuit breaker somewhere in the power source for the converter. Surely Winnebago in their infinite wisdom did not just drop a line off of a power loop without providing a method to isolate the converter. Then having worked on autos a bit nothing surprises me anymore.
Old 01-16-2024, 03:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I think it will be the 15 amp breaker for the converter and frig which you are thinking about.
I think note 5 shows how they connected the wiring but if that breaker off the wire leading to the converter is disconnected, that should remove the 110 input.
The problem then becomes getting the new converter output connected to the DC fuses.
whether to do a total rewire for all the circuits or swap the outputs of the new and old is something to look over. Killing the old is easy by just flipping the breaker but that also kills the 110 to the frig and the output for the other 12VDC coach items has to be connected to the new converter

I'm sure when they built it, they gave very little thought to how we might want to mod it 10-12 years down the road!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 03:59 PM   #5
Just Trying to Help

Tof-

Richard is correct, per the drawings for your coach. The circuit breaker that is fifth from the top (or, second from the bottom) controls the refrigerator and the converter AC power. It's a 15A breaker. Coming out of the breaker you should see a short wire, terminated in a wire nut with two other wires. One wire goes to the converter, and the second wire to the refrigerator.

You can shut off the breaker to de-power the converter and refrigerator. If you want to keep the refrigerator running on 120V while you replace the converter, then undo the wire nut and pull the converter's wire out of it.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:12 PM   #6
Tof
Winnebago Camper

Many thanks to both Richard and Mark for your good helpful guidance. Now you will understand why my handle is "tof" - That Old Feller!
Old 01-21-2024, 05:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Should be located behind the breaker/fuse panel. I swapped for the Progressive Dynamics 4-stage in our Crossroads a few years ago. Peace of mind in how it treats batteries. Will think about it for our new Winni. Good luck. The swap was pretty easy, plug and play.
kvmllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 07:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Disconnect batteries and unplug RV from AC. Go to work.
luvnlife219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 03:50 PM   #9
Tof
Winnebago Camper

Sill at a standstill. Had to back off due to a very bad spell of weather in these parts temps in low teens. Also came up with bad case of acute bronchitis that set me back for several weeks.

Report.
1. Ther is absolutely no wire nut or converter connection at #5 breaker for Refrigerator/converter. If you attempt to trace the wire loom it disappears into the never, never land under the passenger side of the bed flooring.

2. Open the protective covering on the wire loom and traced wires as far as possible under the bed with no joy. A certifiable clinical sadist had to have done the wiring on this unit.

Tags
converter