Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Seems like there should be a specific category related to this topic. We have 8 months to go and no one really knows what will happen when the switch takes place for sure. Maybe some setups will work and other will not. (At least from what I have read).
My question is///I use satellite but sometimes I need use the crank up antenna, I still have the analog TV's. Can I move the antenna input lead on the Wineguard box to the DTV box and then from the DTV box to the AUX terminal on the Wineguard switch box and just switch back and forth similar to switching to VCR, ANT, SAT? Or is it neccessary to put a splitter between the crank up antenna lead and the DTV box due to the antenna booster? I do not want to pull everything apart & put it back together and find out things don't work correctly.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Seems like there should be a specific category related to this topic. We have 8 months to go and no one really knows what will happen when the switch takes place for sure. Maybe some setups will work and other will not. (At least from what I have read).
My question is///I use satellite but sometimes I need use the crank up antenna, I still have the analog TV's. Can I move the antenna input lead on the Wineguard box to the DTV box and then from the DTV box to the AUX terminal on the Wineguard switch box and just switch back and forth similar to switching to VCR, ANT, SAT? Or is it neccessary to put a splitter between the crank up antenna lead and the DTV box due to the antenna booster? I do not want to pull everything apart & put it back together and find out things don't work correctly.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
I helped | retired moderator

We do indeed have a forum for topics like this.

In our TECHNOLOGY FORUM, all the answers are available as to what's going to happen.

I have linked your post to that forum.

If you have any additional questions, please ask.

We have some very knowledgeable members who can help.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:06 PM   #4

I believe that what is and what is not has been discussed in this and other forums but here are the basic truths about what will and will not happen come 2/17/2009 (and not a day before).
What will happen in 2009:
1) All over-the-air TV stations will stop broadcasting the analog signals and will only broadcast digital signals.
2) No analog TV can receive a digital signal.
3) If you have an analog TV, you MUST do SOMETHING prior to 2/2009 if you want to watch over-the-air TV broadcasts.
4) Services such as satellite TV and Cable TV will not be effected in any way. Satellite TV has always been digital and the receiver has always worked as a digital to analog converter. Cable has/is/will be doing the same thing.
5) Over-the-air, Over-the-air, Over-the-air! Nothing else!

If you have an analog TV you will no longer be able to receive ANY over-the-air TV programming (for us RVers, that's the signal that comes from your batwing antenna) without the addition of a digital to analog converter box. The Government is offering $40 coupons (up to 2 per household) toward the purchase of these converters. You can request up to 2 coupons but you can only apply one coupon to each converter purchased.
If you replace your current analog TV with a Digital/Analog TV you have no problems at all. Most "tube" TV's are analog and today nearly all of the flat screen LCD and plasma TV's are digital. Be sure that your new TV tuners are capable of receiving both digital and analog as you may still need the analog signal for satellite TV (strange, huh!).
Over-the-air HDTV programming is currently wide spread and the picture is as good or better than satellite TV programming. The HD over-the-air programming is excellent and FREE compared to satellite TV which has additional charges or hardware and additional monthly fees.
Most cable (satellite TV) programming was not filmed in HD and never will be (re-runs of MASH for example) so we will be watching non-HD programming for years to come but the need to digital TV is becoming more apparent everyday.
I made the "mistake" of installing an HDTV in the bedroom since I happened to find one that would fit the existing opening with only a slight modification. After about a month of spending the 5 o'clock time period in the bedroom watching the HD newscast that was only a fuzzy image on the front TV, we started looking for a replacement for the front TV as well. We now have HDTV's front and rear and we could not be happier. We still do not subscribe to the DTV HD programming and we do not expect to do so in the near future due to the additional hardware, monthly programming and logistics problems. Remember, and HD satellite receiver MUST be located at the TV as there is no HD output through a coax cable. You will have a composite and HDMI output. Each could go to different TV's but that would require a VERY long cable from the receiver to one of the 2 TV's.
There you have it!
Over-the-air requires a digital TV or a converter. Satellite and cable don't need anything. Maybe that should have been my entire post!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

I just got my TV CB $40 coupon in the mail today! It looks exactly like a credit card with a hologram to boot.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Bill has laid out the situation clearly.

But before you race off and use the 40 buck coupons you may want to look at just replacing your current VCR or VCR/DVD combo with a new one that has a built in digital tuner.

These convertor boxes come in various varieties and the ones I have looked at are rather large. I don't have room for another large box so I am just going to replace my VCR/DVD combo if I don't replace my two TVs before next Feb.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
I just got my TV CB $40 coupon in the mail today! It looks exactly like a credit card with a hologram to boot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Adams:
I believe that what is and what is not has been discussed in this and other forums but here are the basic truths about what will and will not happen come 2/17/2009 (and not a day before).
What will happen in 2009:
1) All over-the-air TV stations will stop broadcasting the analog signals and will only broadcast digital signals.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two corrections:

- Actually stations are starting to surrender their analog licenses and go purely digital already as it's a HUGE saving in the power bill if you can stand the loss of eyeballs for several months. We're looking to drop 2 in AZ, and another in Texas several months before the drop dead date.
- ONLY full power stations are required to shut down analog. LP's (including Class-A), and translators are not required to move although may opt to. MANY are choosing to close up shop.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:41 AM   #8

Sorry for missing any details. My post was designed to clear up the confusion over the change over and not muddy it further. What needs to be known is that by 2/17/2009 if you are an RVer and want to watch over-the-air TV programming you are going to need to take some kind of action to ensure this option remains available.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:56 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I just put a digital HDTV in my 5er. It is currently setup with Satellite for most programming. For the local stations I use the trailers TV Antenna. When I programmed the TV for over the air programs I was surprised to see that I was receiving a multitude of digital programs --- over the air. I get the normal major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) on the local channel, but get the HD broadcast on x.1 (ex: 10.1). I also get the weather programs on x.2 or x.3. All this WITHOUT any converter box or special antenna.

I am no expert trying to impart technical knowledge. I am simply describing my experience.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:04 AM   #10
paz
Winnebago Camper

Bill, thanks for your excellent summary of DTV and HDTV. I have read quite a few posts on these subjects and I thought I understood what is going to happen. Your summary really reinforces that what I thought I understood is really correct.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:19 AM   #11

John,
You are correct. Your HDTV has a digital tuner so you will have no further issues come 2009 and much better TV between now and then.
As I said in my post:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Over-the-air requires a digital TV or a converter. Satellite and cable don't need anything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 06-01-2008, 04:23 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GG1:

My question is///I use satellite but sometimes I need use the crank up antenna, I still have the analog TV's. Can I move the antenna input lead on the Wineguard box to the DTV box and then from the DTV box to the AUX terminal on the Wineguard switch box and just switch back and forth similar to switching to VCR, ANT, SAT? Or is it neccessary to put a splitter between the crank up antenna lead and the DTV box due to the antenna booster? I do not want to pull everything apart & put it back together and find out things don't work correctly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The converter box can not be connected between the Winegard booster and the bat wing antenna. The amplifier on the bat wing requires voltage from the booster (Winegard calls it a power supply).

I connected the coax going to the VHS player to my converter box and connected the converter output to the VHS player.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:06 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

There was an article by the Winnebago service people in 'Service Tips' in the WIT magazine. The article should be available on the Winnegago web site under the service tips.

It explained the preferred method of installing the coverter box - replacing the vcr/dvd recorder with the converter box so that the power for the batwing antenna was still available.

After replacing the vcr/dvd unit, the only other change is changing the switch conviguration on the selector panel.

Robb & Sue Steinheider
Duncan the Dalmation
03 Ultimate Advantage
02 Saturn L100 Toad
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:32 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Bill, you also need to point out that the standard VHF-UHF antennas on the RVs will work fine with the DTV. No need to go out ans spend $$$$ on a special HD antenna.

One point to note is that with the converter boxes, you will have to adjust the picture size as the new DTV uses a different aspect ration. You will wind up watching is what was know as letter box format if you want to see the full picture. You can also adjust it to show a full height picture which will chop off the sides of make the picture look stretched.

A fiend has the new converter box and his wife hates it. When she changes channels, it often changes the aspect ratio and she has trouble getting the picture back to "normal".

Ken
Old 06-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bill, you also need to point out that the standard VHF-UHF antennas on the RVs will work fine with the DTV. No need to go out ans spend $$$$ on a special HD antenna. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You just did and you are absolutely correct! As a matter of fact I now often get a better digital picture with my batwing stowed than I did with analog and the batwing up!
Old 06-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Adams:
Sorry for missing any details. My post was designed to clear up the confusion over the change over and not muddy it further. What needs to be known is that by 2/17/2009 if you are an RVer and want to watch over-the-air TV programming you are going to need to take some kind of action to ensure this option remains available. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not trying to muddy it up, but to be clear once more, the Feb, 2009 cutoff is for full power analog stations only. There are thousands of other transmitters out there that are unaffected and will remain analog, which as you know is the reason for the big search for pass-through converters.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #17

OK, if you say so, but since a simple A/B switch (or cable move) can move your system from analog to digital I don't think there's too much concern over what is and what is not.
The reality is that by 2/2009 you are going to NEED a converter or a digital TV in your coach.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

This is one more way to hook upa converter box.
Simpler than using VCR Hook up- To see DTV with this hook up you must turn on VCR, set VCR Mode,Set to TV Mode and tune to ch3 and now set the TV to ch3

2005 Itasca 38R Suncruiser
Frank (Wires) & Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #19

Frank, could you provide more info on the 2 way splitter with one leg power pass? Thanks.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank (Wires) & Jean:
This is one more way to hook upa converter box.
Simpler than using VCR Hook up- To see DTV with this hook up you must turn on VCR, set VCR Mode,Set to TV Mode and tune to ch3 and now set the TV to ch3
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This looks pretty straight-forward, especially for those of us who have no VCR or DVD player. My front TV will be digital ready but not sure about the rear TV. Your set-up can feed the signal from the converter to the rear TV if the selector switch for TV-2 is set on AUX...correct?

However, I'm guessing the converter has it's own remote for changing channels so would you not need to have the converter in the rear of the coach for use with the rear TV?

Bottom line, how do you make this work for the second (bedroom) TV?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote