Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-23-2024, 07:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2023 View LiFePo conversion anyone?

We're close to pulling the trigger on a barely used 2023 View 24D, and one of the few things I'll want/need to upgrade are the house batteries. I've done it in our Isata 3 so I'm not a rookie, but would love to hear from anyone who's swapped the AGM for LiFePo, and anything unexpected they may have encountered. I'm particularly interested in the relationship to the MB alternator. I swapped my BIM to a Li-BIM in the Isata to offset any potential damage, though it was never an issue before doing so. Would also love to hear if anyone has upgraded the Zamp PWM to an MPPT controller. TIA
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 10:24 PM   #2
Site Team

There is a member here that has a series of YouTube videos about this topic. I’ll have to look up some links for you.

I removed my Zamp 30-amp PWMsolar charge controller and replaced it with a Victron 100/30 MPPT solar charge controller. Super easy and does help maximize the output of your panels. Keep in mind the Zamp is mounted inside the View and shows off its display. The Victron has no display and is the kind of thing you usually hide in a cabinet out of sight.
Old 01-23-2024, 10:27 PM   #3
Site Team

Here is a link to one of the videos, I think there are a few more, too.

Old 01-24-2024, 03:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
There is a member here that has a series of YouTube videos about this topic. I’ll have to look up some links for you.

I removed my Zamp 30-amp PWMsolar charge controller and replaced it with a Victron 100/30 MPPT solar charge controller. Super easy and does help maximize the output of your panels. Keep in mind the Zamp is mounted inside the View and shows off its display. The Victron has no display and is the kind of thing you usually hide in a cabinet out of sight.
I'm familiar with the Victron MPPT as it's what I switched to in my Isata 3. It's a bit bulky, as you know, but it sure did improve the solar gain. I didn't mind its lack of a display because I found the Bluetooth connection, and the information it provided, to be far superior to the standard GoPower PWM, and its display, that came with the coach. Did you mount the Victron where the Zamp had been?
Old 01-24-2024, 07:31 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
Did you mount the Victron where the Zamp had been?
Yes, but in my motorhome the Zamp was out of site in a basement compartment. I have 3-100w panels on the roof. Changing to the Victron was almost like adding a fourth panel in terms of output.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Zamp makes an MPPT controller that appears to be sized at least close to their PWM that's standard issue in the View. I'll have some homework to do before I try swapping the PWM for the MPPT. I'm skilled enough to trim it out with wood if it's feasible. So far my list includes adding LiFePo batteries, perhaps another 100W of roof solar and the MPPT swap.
Old 01-24-2024, 01:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

As a side note MB allows up to 80 amps over and above normal alternator duties on the 220 amp alternator which is the one installed in the RV chassis.
Old 01-25-2024, 04:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Fairly simple swap out if the battery or batteries fit under the stairs in the same compartment. Winnebago sells a sheet metal box that is included when you get lithium from the factory. Not required, but I ordered one to keep the new batteries clean and a bit warmer when travelling in colder weather.
Redd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 05:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'm planning to use the Epoch 105aH batteries, which are smaller than the stock AGM, so fitting should be easy. I'm curious as to where you ordered the replacement battery box? I was going to fab something up but if they sell it reasonably, I'd definitely like that option.
Old 01-26-2024, 12:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Yeah I started to make my own and decided easier to order from Litchchin Motors. Price was ok, shipping not as much, but glad I did it.

My 2 Renogy Batts fit perfectly with just enough room for some foam board on bottom and sides for a bit more insulation.
Redd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 03:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Lichtsinn seems to be a very popular source for Winnebago's and parts. The View we're considering was actually purchased from them, and I'll check with them for a price before I start, and thanks for your help.
Old 01-27-2024, 05:32 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd22 View Post
Yeah I started to make my own and decided easier to order from Litchchin Motors. Price was ok, shipping not as much, but glad I did it.

My 2 Renogy Batts fit perfectly with just enough room for some foam board on bottom and sides for a bit more insulation.
Lichtsinn quoted me $168.10 for the box, estimated shipping of $70. I'm going to wait and see what's what in the current battery box before I decide which way to go, but I'm leaning heavily towards this being a DIY project.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:56 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
Zamp makes an MPPT controller that appears to be sized at least close to their PWM that's standard issue in the View. I'll have some homework to do before I try swapping the PWM for the MPPT. .
Riverbend; any additional feedback on the Zamp MPPT would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 06:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We replaced the AGM house batteries with 2 LionEnergy Safari UT 1300 105Ah LiFePO4 batteries in our 2020 Nation 24V. Lion Energy is HQ'd in Utah and the batteries were purchased from Costco. No changes were made to the battery tray under the step and the BMS has always protected the battery from charging in below freezing temperatures. We still have the OEM AGM chassis battery, which has never failed to start the engine regardless of the temps. The OEM solar controller and 2000w inverter-charger can easily be reprogrammed for optimal charging of the Li batteries. The whole solar, controller, inverter, Li battery system works perfectly to the provide 120vac power for the induction cooktop, convection-micro, hair dryer, etc., except the air conditioner. So, the MH is great for off-grid boondocking or dry camping, with the waste tank sizes the controlling factor, not the battery, for duration. If fact, we have only used our propane generator twice while camping, so most of its 17 run hours are from exercising it for 30 minutes every few months.
Fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 06:11 PM   #15
RVBob

If you have a charger make sure your converter/charger is compatible with your batteries. Mine is fairly new but only has 3 positions for different batteries. LiFePo is not included.
Bob94lr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 06:14 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky19053 View Post
Riverbend; any additional feedback on the Zamp MPPT would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I will certainly oblige if I buy it!
Old 01-28-2024, 06:17 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob94lr View Post
If you have a charger make sure your converter/charger is compatible with your batteries. Mine is fairly new but only has 3 positions for different batteries. LiFePo is not included.
I had to swap out the Progressive Dynamics charging module in my Isata 3 when I switched to Lithium, and it was the easiest part of the whole project. Under $200 and took all of 5 minutes. I'm fairly certain in the View, it's just a matter of toggling a few switches.
Old 01-28-2024, 06:19 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanrgs View Post
We replaced the AGM house batteries with 2 LionEnergy Safari UT 1300 105Ah LiFePO4 batteries in our 2020 Nation 24V. Lion Energy is HQ'd in Utah and the batteries were purchased from Costco. No changes were made to the battery tray under the step and the BMS has always protected the battery from charging in below freezing temperatures. We still have the OEM AGM chassis battery, which has never failed to start the engine regardless of the temps. The OEM solar controller and 2000w inverter-charger can easily be reprogrammed for optimal charging of the Li batteries. The whole solar, controller, inverter, Li battery system works perfectly to the provide 120vac power for the induction cooktop, convection-micro, hair dryer, etc., except the air conditioner. So, the MH is great for off-grid boondocking or dry camping, with the waste tank sizes the controlling factor, not the battery, for duration. If fact, we have only used our propane generator twice while camping, so most of its 17 run hours are from exercising it for 30 minutes every few months.
How does the 210aH handle the fridge, assuming it's the 12 volt model?
Old 01-28-2024, 07:29 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob94lr View Post
The Xantrex converter-charger on all the 2020-2024 View-Navion twins is designed for Li batteries because they can be ordered from the factory with lithium!
Old 01-28-2024, 07:38 PM   #20
RVBob

On the subject of batteries: The last service on my coach the service department killed all 6 of my batteries. There is no chance of recovery. I need 2 starting and 4 coach AGMs. Where is the best most cost friendly place to buy these. Online? Store? I would appreciate a few suggestions. Thanks, Bob
Bob94lr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
view