Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-14-2021, 11:16 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Here is the plumbing in a 2017V. Looks like similar tubing but different connections? I had the vacuum breaker malfunction and leaking like crazy. What a pain, they make it so difficult to get to the fittings. Ended up having to cut the fittings off and use a sharkbite on the pex. Not the ideal solution, but I don't have the ability or inclination to take the shower walls totally apart and off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0686.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	176835  
Old 01-14-2021, 11:30 AM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyinWP View Post
Here is the plumbing in a 2017V. Looks like similar tubing but different connections? I had the vacuum breaker malfunction and leaking like crazy. What a pain, they make it so difficult to get to the fittings. Ended up having to cut the fittings off and use a sharkbite on the pex. Not the ideal solution, but I don't have the ability or inclination to take the shower walls totally apart and off.
That connection is actually fine. Those are factory fitting and made for that application. On my coach those fittings were not like that unfortunately. You need to check the opposite end to make sure winnebago didn't cut off the factory ends and crimped them onto a pex connector.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

yup,,,I wonder why they went away from those fittings to yours?
Old 01-14-2021, 12:00 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyinWP View Post
yup,,,I wonder why they went away from those fittings to yours?
Typically you buy that hose with the threaded ends on both sides already from the hose manufacturer. But that means they would have to buy lots of custom length hoses. I'm guessing they had lots of left over hose that were cut previously to custom lengths and had plenty of this hose. On my coach they do have that hose with the correct ends at the water pump to and from as well as the water tank. They all used the correct fittings. But there are at least 20+ other connection areas where they used this hose with the wrong fittings. I'm guessing they did that because they have slight bends to them and in odd places so the flexible hose was easier to do than making correct pex angled connections. Really a shame as this is pex 101 and any manufacturer should know that. They were treating the pex connectors the same has barbed/clamp connectors typically used in a hose application. I had lots of small sections of the hose at the water drain valves. If anyone's wet bay bay has water in it, that is not normally that would be the first area I would check.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:46 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Something every owner, especially of your vintage, should check and double check. Thanks for posting
Old 01-17-2021, 03:00 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

This is a follow to my repairs. I've replaced every factory hose connection with shark bite connections and pex piping with the exception of 1 hose in the picture. That hose goes behind the toilet and under the coach. I'm thinking it goes to the cold water to the sink but it was too difficult to replace. I've replaced the pex pinch connector with a pex ring and a hose clamp. It's not the ideal fix, but I'm satisfied with the repair. On the 24D floor plan, there is also 1 hot water T with this hose under the closet floor that feeds the hot water to the bathroom sink. That hose was leaking in mine and dripping into the rear drivers side storage bay.

In reflecting back to my coach use prior to my repair, I did notice that my water pump would come in for a quick cycle everyone once in a while. Nothing alarming, maybe once every few hours or so at the most. Long enough apart that I didn't really notice. My wet bay always seemed to have tiny drips in there, but I thought it was from when I was dumped the tanks or ran the outside shower. I finally noticed it the most was when I received my coach back from an 8 week repair, and I filled my tanks at home. I left the pump switch on overnight and the next day there was a large puddle under the wet bay as well as a large puddle near the propane fill storage. The water was dripping down from inside the propane storage bay. The leaks were all traced back to under the shower where all the connections are made as well as behind the shower handle. Since the fix, I've been camping in Malibu (full hookups at night, and dry camping during the day at the beach). Not a single leak anymore and never heard the water pump cycle ever when pump was left on and no running water.

I Hope everyone checks out their RV and get these fixed before bigger problems pop up. I did contact Winnebago and they would have covered it under warranty, but I decided to fix it myself so I could use the RV right away as I've been without it for 2 months already for other warranty work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210114_120453.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	176861  
Old 01-17-2021, 03:28 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

We also noticed the water pump would cycle on briefly periodically - so there was a leak, even though we couldn't see any water coming out from underneath the RV - until we left the water pump on overnight - and then we saw water underneath...

For our water leak, the leak only appears to happen when the water pump is on and the lines are pressurized (we usually do not hook to city water - which would also pressurize the lines). When the lines aren't pressurized, the fittings don't appear to be leaking. And because we usually turn the water pump on only when we're using water, it's possible we had the leak for quite a while.

Since the leak has been pretty slow - it isn't obvious there's a leak until the water pump has been on for a long time, and enough water has leaked to overflow to the outside of the RV.

However, the periodic cycling of the water pump (when none of the faucets are running) is a strong indicator there is a leak, even if you can't see any water dripping out...

When I have our View at service this week to fix the water leak (again), this time, I'm planning to stay at the dealership and take as much time as needed to verify the leak has really been fixed - and doing some tests - filling up the fresh water tank, turning the pump on/off, running water through the faucets, leaving the water pump on for hours (or overnight), ...
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:52 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

And check the black tank flush as well. That where my leak was. Vacuum breaker check valve.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:31 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by crah View Post
I've reported this to Winnebago directly and they are checking into it. Not sure how it got through their quality control as the white hose is not even remotely compatible with pex as the hose is way oversized and also not fit for that application. See picture of how oversized this hose is to a pex connector.

I'm fortunate that I can tackle this work my self. It's tedious work and I've put quite a bit of hours into it. I don't think most owners would rip their shower apart on the new RV.
what's involved with taking the shower apart. Thanks for posting the issue
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:38 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crah View Post
My 2020 view has been in for warranty for 8 weeks for exterior body sealant repair(a whole different story that a will share on a different thread) Warranty work was a terrible experience both from Winnebago directly and the dealer. They were bickering back and forth on hours required and never did the work in 8 weeks.

Anyways I demanded my coach back, and now I have a decent water leak that I tracked to 4 different fittings. Under the shower there is a tiny access panel. My leaks are coming from 3 tee fittings under the shower and (1) 90 degree fitting behind the hot water. All the leaks are not from the pex piping. These fitting have a couple of pex pipes, and some type of white tubing connected to the T. The pex connections are all fine. It is the white flexible tubing that is using a pex crimp that is all leaking. In positive the tubing is not compatible with pex crimps and winnebago should issue a recall in this. I'm attaching some pictures and hope others don't run into this issue. The location is almost impossible to get to without removing the entire shower pan. I'll probably fix this myself so I don't lose my rv for another 2 months.
Winniebago Quality? makes you wonder
M1 Garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:01 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

warranty with Winnebago

We had been working with Winnebago on our 2018 navigation system during our warranty period. Even though it wasn't fixed and the warranty ran out, Winnebago brushed us off and rudely told us they no longer gave a dam. We also ran into the paint cracking on the dome of our 2018 view. I discovered it just at the end of the warranty period. Same situation. They would only 'maybe' repair it if we drove back to the factory. The electrical wiring was short circuiting,( too many wires for the size of the box) at the same time of the paint cracking and we got the same treatment. Your only hope is the dealership you bought it from is reputable and will take care of the problem. Unfortunately we bought on the east coast and none of the other dealerships in Montana want to do the warranty work because Winnebago doesn't pay well. Brand new and all the dealerships want $125 up front to do warranty work! I came to the conclusion that Winnebago is there to sell new rv's and doesn't care once they got their money out of you. Piss poor customer service and warranty service as far as I am concerned. You pay $100K+ for the rv, you should get better treatment and service.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:48 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvale1 View Post
what's involved with taking the shower apart. Thanks for posting the issue
Taking out the shower is not too bad but not that much fun either. Pop off all the plastic buttons, and remove the screws. Remove shower door. Lots of screws and cutting silicone caulking. Remove the slide door first then the shower surround. You have to play origami to take that shower surround out of the bathroom. Lastly the shower pan. I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you are really handy. PM me if you do decide to do it. I spend more time cleaning up all the caulking and putting that door together.

The job itself is a typical terrible plumbing project. It took 4 trips to home depot, $250 in misc parts and pex tools if you don't have them already, and some double stick foam tape and caulking to put the shower back together. All in all it took me 4-5 hours each day for 5 days. I straightens out lots of the winnebago wiring job while I was at it. You can get to a lot of this from the bottom tiny access panel but I can't imagine doing a proper repair that way. You do have to so the drain lines from under the coach. The 3 low point drains have the same tubing above the shut off valves. They hold pressure so I replaced them too.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:57 PM   #33
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1 Garand View Post
Winniebago Quality? makes you wonder
I've had 4 different RVs from 4 different manufacturers. Holiday Rambler diesel pusher, Jayco 5th wheel,, Xplorer class B, and Winnebago View. Unfortunately the Winnebago was quite expensive and I was expecting better quality based on my research. I was prepared for problems based on experience, but my most disappointing part was not the problems. It is the way they handled the warranty. I got an automatic response of no responsibility and they tried to push it off. I'm lucky I'm diligent in documenting and sending things in writing. All I hope from these manufacturers is that they stand behind their products better. Problems happen. I can live with that either though I may not like it. In my opinion, many owners live with the problems and manufacturers can get away with it. I am holding Winnebago to stand behind their product even if warranty passes if the workmanship or product is defective. In many other industries a recall would be the right thing.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:04 PM   #34
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrude View Post
We had been working with Winnebago on our 2018 navigation system during our warranty period. Even though it wasn't fixed and the warranty ran out, Winnebago brushed us off and rudely told us they no longer gave a dam. We also ran into the paint cracking on the dome of our 2018 view. I discovered it just at the end of the warranty period. Same situation. They would only 'maybe' repair it if we drove back to the factory. The electrical wiring was short circuiting,( too many wires for the size of the box) at the same time of the paint cracking and we got the same treatment. Your only hope is the dealership you bought it from is reputable and will take care of the problem. Unfortunately we bought on the east coast and none of the other dealerships in Montana want to do the warranty work because Winnebago doesn't pay well. Brand new and all the dealerships want $125 up front to do warranty work! I came to the conclusion that Winnebago is there to sell new rv's and doesn't care once they got their money out of you. Piss poor customer service and warranty service as far as I am concerned. You pay $100K+ for the rv, you should get better treatment and service.
My warranty experience was similar on my exterior sealant failure. Was your Rep at Winnebago name start with L by chance?

My purchasing dealer was 6 hours away so I made an appointment with them after I got approval from the factory already. After my selling dealer saw in person the repair that was required they requested more hours from Winnebago. They were going back and forth for 8 weeks on the amount they would approve. Both of them received an incompetence score from me, and I've decided to do that work myself as well. Unfortunately it requires paint repair so I'm a little hesitant to proceed with the work. My fight with Winnebago is not over yet and I've requested to talk to upper management.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:05 PM   #35
Winnebago Watcher

PEX does make the correct connectors for that PEX/Hose interface. One end is larger than the other. Also, the PEX crimper needs to be adjusted for the correct compression. There's a gauge to test the adjustment. Bad execution by Winn.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:11 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Water Leaks From Reinforced Tubing To Pexs Connections

We own a 2019 Winnebago Minnie 2201DS manufactured in August 2018. Noticed water showing up in camper, but could never quite figure out where it was coming from. Was looking under the outdoor kitchen and noticed the PEX tees where reinforced tubing ran to outdoor kitchen faucet were leaking, both hot and cold sides. Ended up replacing with Sharkbite hose connectors and eliminating outdoor kitchen sink. Thought it was it. While working under the inside kitchen sink noticed reinforced hose to PEX connection near pump leaking. Further investigation revealed reinforced hose to water heater leaking. They were all small drips. Water would sit on top of flooring until we moved the camper then the water would roll out where we could see it. I have used hose clamps for some repairs. Not a good solution, but it works better than what Winnebago did. Repairs by dealer are so time consuming and shoddy that I buy my own parts and do the repairs myself.

Take note that this issue goes back at least as far as TT manufactured in 2018 and Winnebago continues to use this construction method. I know I didn't pay for a high quality camper, but it doesn't seem like it would have cost that much more to have done this correctly. It would be nice if Winnebago took note and made changes.

Alway have water pressure regulator hooked up between water source and travel trailer.
Rustyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:06 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Wow, we have a new 2020 towable 2401RG that hasn't been used yet. This thread is freaking me out! It is in winter storage for another 2-3 months, but I will investigate this week and contact my dealer if I observe this white hose w/PEX clamps. What about replacing the PEX clamps with regular aircraft hose clamps as a short-term remedy?
johneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:42 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

Just because a few of us are reporting water leaks, doesn't necessarily mean this is a widespread problem.

If many owners were seeing leaks - the forums would have many more comments about that - and the Winnebago dealers would be working on the plumbing on a lot of RVs.

While Winnebago may have made a better choice on the fittings they are using, since we aren't seeing a lot of View/Navion complaints - I'm assuming we just had bad luck in having a loose fitting at the factory.

Hopefully this week's service will fix the problem for us... And at least so far, Winnebago and the dealers involved have been very supportive...
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:27 AM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Reinforced Hose to PEX Connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by johneed View Post
Wow, we have a new 2020 towable 2401RG that hasn't been used yet. This thread is freaking me out! It is in winter storage for another 2-3 months, but I will investigate this week and contact my dealer if I observe this white hose w/PEX clamps. What about replacing the PEX clamps with regular aircraft hose clamps as a short-term remedy?
I had 5 leaks so far, not one. Everyone was where the reinforced hose connected to PEX. All other PEX to PEX connections have not leaked yet. If you can change to Sharkbite that is the best solution. If that is not possible, then hose clamps have worked for me so far.

Not relevant to this thread, but you should replace the factory tires as soon as possible. Mine came with Goodride tires. They are made in China and many refer to them as China bombs. When a tire blew it took out the bottom of my wheel well, part of the underlayment material, and bent and broke floor support joists. Google and read other peoples posts.
Rustyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:31 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

I am so glad to read all these posts! We had a 2014 Navion, never had any MAJOR problems except the crappy paint job (not full body paint). It turned dull after about 2 years. We traded it for a barely used 2019 24V (full body paint this time) because we liked this floor plan. First major trip out we had a huge water leak under driver side bed with connections going to the shower. We were in Canada and didn’t have time to find a dealer to fix it under warranty. We were lucky to get a good service guy out that fixed it. Other issues include the Navigation/radio system just went blank one day, quit working totally, radio in the coach never worked from the day we bought it (didn’t test it before purchasing), awning would not retract fully and lock into place after using it a few times, and the list goes on. Unfortunately, when you buy used and are 1,000 miles away from the used dealer (which by the way is also worthless), you just pay to get the stuff fixed. Now after reading all this, I'm going to have my husband check all the connections and see if we have this problem you guys are talking about. It has been in the Mercedes dealership for various other issues but all are Mercedes sprinter related so it has been under warranty. I feel Mercedes goes above and beyond to get things fixed, which they should. Our experience with all RV dealerships service departments has been terrible. Even under warranty, they drag their feet and if it’s close to warranty expiration date, they will drag until it’s out of warranty.
AZ Okies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaks, plumbing, view