Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2021, 04:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Battery Compartment

Hello Everyone,

So I been noticing a lot of road noise coming and couldn’t figure it out why. Today I finally looked under and there is massive cut off for the battery compartment where 2 of the house batteries are placed.

So my question is. Can I block that cut off with some foam ? There’s no way you need such a big cut for vents.

I own 2019 Outlook 25j

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B960A867-9AE2-48EC-98AF-F1893462863D.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	178778   Click image for larger version

Name:	F6A8EFA7-CB1D-411D-A8E8-1EA08A7322F9.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	178779  

BernieMac23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi Bernie,
I believe that much venting is required, with two batteries and all. When the batteries are being recharged, they generates an explosive combination of Hydrogen and Oxygen, so blocking-off that area makes me nervous.
Eagle5
Old 05-11-2021, 07:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I was thinking the same. So now i know. I wont block it off.

Thank You
BernieMac23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:00 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Venting is not an issue as many trailers and motorhomes and boats have fully enclosed battery compartments. The chassis battery in the Mercedes Sprinter cab is in an enclosed compartment with no venting at all.

Where venting is needed with a battery there is a place to attach a hose to it for venting but I have not seen this actdually being done for many years. Has anyone ever read of an RV damaged by gases from the batteries? Many destroyed by leaking propane including boats and houses.

I attached a piece of 1/8" steel sheet to the bottom using 10-32 thread cutting screws. I bought Xcel 1/4" thick closed cell neoprene sheet with an adhesive backing and used it to line the compartment. I filled in the sides with sections of 24 x 24 x 1 inch foam I bought at Lowes and cut to size.There are also two very large openings at the front and rear of this space for the cables runs and I used expansive foam in a can to seal these openings.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Normal battery charging and discharging is not the concern. If the battery is over charged or discharged too low or abused then off gassing is a concern. That is the reason for then vents. If you want to seal them off to keep critters out, use some 1/4 inch wire mesh not a solid piece metal.
Subsailor653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:47 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor653 View Post
Normal battery charging and discharging is not the concern. If the battery is over charged or discharged too low or abused then off gassing is a concern. That is the reason for then vents. If you want to seal them off to keep critters out, use some 1/4 inch wire mesh not a solid piece metal.
The OP was concerned with road noise.
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Just a suggestion, Bernie- FWIW

In my previous life.....when installing new vertical flow furnaces in older homes with a slab floor, I always lined the air inlet area (slab, sidewalls, etc) with ductboard ... which is both an insulating and sound proofing material. I never measured the before and after db rating, but the sound reduction was very significant. (Many tract home builders did not line that area with anything and my mod made customers v-e-r-y happy.) All you need to do is make those sound waves hit some sound deadening mtl before they can make the "right turn" into the battery box ...... and your coach.

The attached sketch reflects my thoughts. Dunno if you have the clearance to mount that modified "hat section" or not though. A nice deep bread pan would be easy to work with and to attach using alum angle from a big box store.

Separate but related subject: There are a few enterprising folks selling kits to quiet RV rooftop AC's. Those kits install from inside the coach and the same principle applies. Most who install them say they are amazed at the sound reduction.

Good luck with a fix. If the road noise is so strong you can hear it above the engine and other noise it sure might be worth the time/effort to "go after it."

BTW if you click on the attachment it should enlarge.

Safe travels to ya ...................
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sound Trap.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	179512  
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I would suggest you replace the stock batteries with two AGM GC batteries then seal off as much of the battery box as you like. I would also add a battery monitor to the setup as well. I have been buying batteries and solar panels through AM Solar and highly recommend them. My current battery setup is 2 Lifeline GPL-4CT, 6volt 220amp AGM wired in series for a total of 12volts and 220amps coupled with a Victron Battery Monitor - Very accurate gauge of battery condition.
Boale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:58 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

AGM batteries suffer from the same limitations for discharge as flooded lead acid batteries and are hardly an upgrade. Better to put your money into lithium-phosphate batteries than can be discharged twice as much and have a much longer life and that can be rechared in a third the time of lead acid type ones.

For noise, adding a blanket of closed cell neoprene foam will work well and is not expensive and takes very little time to do and no mechanical skills. It comes in sheet form with an adhesive backing.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
Just a suggestion, Bernie- FWIW

In my previous life.....when installing new vertical flow furnaces in older homes with a slab floor, I always lined the air inlet area (slab, sidewalls, etc) with ductboard ... which is both an insulating and sound proofing material. I never measured the before and after db rating, but the sound reduction was very significant. (Many tract home builders did not line that area with anything and my mod made customers v-e-r-y happy.) All you need to do is make those sound waves hit some sound deadening mtl before they can make the "right turn" into the battery box ...... and your coach.

The attached sketch reflects my thoughts. Dunno if you have the clearance to mount that modified "hat section" or not though. A nice deep bread pan would be easy to work with and to attach using alum angle from a big box store.

Separate but related subject: There are a few enterprising folks selling kits to quiet RV rooftop AC's. Those kits install from inside the coach and the same principle applies. Most who install them say they are amazed at the sound reduction.

Good luck with a fix. If the road noise is so strong you can hear it above the engine and other noise it sure might be worth the time/effort to "go after it."

BTW if you click on the attachment it should enlarge.

Safe travels to ya ...................
I like this solution. You're probably hearing a lot of wind-created noise as well as road noise. This solution would move the opening to the rear, thereby minimizing the wind noise as well as the road noise.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:28 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkman View Post
AGM batteries suffer from the same limitations for discharge as flooded lead acid batteries and are hardly an upgrade.

I would love for you to qualify that statement?

I just replaced two working Winnebago OEM FLA batteries with 2 new V Tank Pure AGM Solar batteries; in my opinion it is one of the best things I have done since buying the RV

Advantages
1. There was nothing wrong with my FLA, but I was tired of the corrosion in my new coach and the cleaning involved.
2. I do not wish to have to add water. Not saying I can't, nor that I don't know how, or if there are easy ways to do; I am saying I don't want to add water and check levels PERIOD.
3. I didn't even have to go to a 6v GC; as I got two Group 31 with 125 AH each for total of 250 AHs.
4. I have yet to get the new batteries under 12.5v during my normal routine; with the FLA my genset would kick on at least 3 times a day during my normal routine set at 12.2 vdc
5. Since it is Pure AGM it has triple the cycles and rated to last 8 - 10 years
6. I have not even had to open my Battery compartment since I took my last pictures of the new batteries
7. No dangers of acid around
8. Maintenance free
9. I posted on ebay and still could not give away the two OEM stock batteries!!!! I eventually just dropped them off at nearby Auto Service center.

Disadvantage
1. I paid about $250 more than the FLA
2. About 60 pounds heavier
3. That it took me about a year to learn that I should I bought these AGM batteries on Day 1

None of the above disadvantages constitute a limitations on my part.
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery