Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2021, 03:15 PM   #81
Winnebago Master

I created a poll and will see if we get enough responses from 2020/2021 View/Navion owners to determine if this is a widespread or isolated problem.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:46 PM   #82
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
I created a poll and will see if we get enough responses from 2020/2021 View/Navion owners to determine if this is a widespread or isolated problem.
How do we access the poll?
NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:42 PM   #83
Winnebago Master

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...on-360683.html
Old 04-01-2021, 08:48 PM   #84
Winnebago Camper

rprochnow, why limit it to View/Navion? My 2201 Minnie TT has the same problem. lenore says in this thread that Vita/Porto has same problem.
Rustyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:00 PM   #85
Winnebago Master

I'm assuming the 2020/2021 View/Navion RVs are using the same plumbing design (with variances based on floor plan). Other models or model years before 2020 might not be the same implementation - so including those might not be as conclusive.

We would need to find out which earlier View/Navion model years and which other models (and years) share the same design - and then expand the poll - or introduce a new poll.

If we don't get many responses - then, as has been noted, there may not be enough WBO owners on this forum to produce any statistically useful results.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:26 PM   #86
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
I'm assuming the 2020/2021 View/Navion RVs are using the same plumbing design (with variances based on floor plan). Other models or model years before 2020 might not be the same implementation - so including those might not be as conclusive.

We would need to find out which earlier View/Navion model years and which other models (and years) share the same design - and then expand the poll - or introduce a new poll.

If we don't get many responses - then, as has been noted, there may not be enough WBO owners on this forum to produce any statistically useful results.
As mentioned Lenore already stated it's showing up on the vita/porto models which is identical to to the View/navion. I'm sure your intentions on the poll is great. I have never participated in a poll in 14 years of RV forum activity. No offense, but it's obvious it's widespread. Winnebago's admitted they use these type of connections. There is no published data from the makers of these parts that they are compatible with each other. If you actually take the parts and put them in your hand, you will see why they will leak.

In my opinion, a good observation of forum activity and problems is the number of times a particular topic is viewed. I can see that this thread has been viewed quite a few times relative to its age. Again no offense as your participations are always helpful. Sorry on this one, I wouldn't let the manufacturer slide as this is defective work and what really triggers me is their wareanty support saying they never heard of it.

They don't have that many warranty support people for the motorhome devision. They are flat out lying, and that has been my personal experience with them too. They must get paid bonuses for warranty denials.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:35 PM   #87
Winnebago Camper

rprochnow, if you were trying to get more responses then you would allow more people to respond. Then you could get your statistically useful results. Also, you need to word the poll so the information is useful. Asking about leaks in general would include roof leaks and any other leaks. I thought this thread has been about leaks in nylon hose to PEX connections. What kind of leaks are you wanting to know about in your View/Navion? crah's response is spot on. I, do not mean to offend or upset anyone. I would love it if we could hold Winnebago to producing the quality product that we thought we were buying.
Rustyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:57 PM   #88
Winnebago Master

If someone can provide me other models and model years sharing the same issue, I can set up another poll.

Though if we only get a very small number of answers - the poll won't have enough data to determine anything...
Old 04-01-2021, 11:38 PM   #89
Winnebago Vita 24P

I am on the Vita/Porto site with the Mercedes chassis and we have had quite a few folks with the leaks. Unfortunately many have not found the leaks due to where the lines are which is bad since they may be undetected until you already have damage from water.
I know of at least 6 people on our site. Our model started in 2018 year of production. We have over 500 registered owners on our site.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:58 PM   #90

I looked at Winnebago's online Parts catalog for every 2020 model and I can confirm that all 2020 Winnebago models have at least one vinyl hose to PEX fitting connection. One is too many. Winnebago needs to step up and do a recall to remedy this substandard plumbing issue.
BadMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:36 AM   #91
Winnebago Owner

17V, I have had water leaks from day one. Lichtsinn fixed most of what we found, but every now and then I have to fix another. I realize that the MH moves over the road and flexes etc. So does my 36ft trawler on the waves of Lake Michigan and I do not have that problem with it. Materials used on our MH are not the best of quality nor are the skills that could have been used in their construction. Nothing will change any time soon as long as there is a demand for those units
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:09 AM   #92
Winnebago Master

Badmed and Sunvale1 both seem to point to a couple things that we need to look at before getting too far in our thinking.
First thing I would want to do is find out how my RV is plumbed and for that the prats catalog makes it pretty simple to look at what materials and where the connections are made.

Try this site if you have concerns and your RV is less than about 2010 age group:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Then if one decides it is a potential problem for you, the next step is going to be much larger.
Do you feel it is actually worth the trauma of going through the legal hoops needed to get a good result?

I have never found it worth the trauma if not speaking of at least $5-10 thousand to get it done. There are times when it is far better to admit that you have gotten into a bad situation and I have found it better to just cut my losses and move on.
I sold a Thor RV and a Ford Focus for this reason!

Never jump until you've looked where you may land!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #93
Winnebago Master

Replacing the fittings with ones that should work better is mostly a labor cost - the parts are pretty inexpensive.

If there's a water leak - that's what should be discussed when the service is done - tightening the existing fittings or replacing with the same type has a good chance of the leak returning.

If properly done, even with the vibration in an RV - it should be possible to get fittings that will stay sealed...
Old 04-03-2021, 08:45 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Badmed and Sunvale1 both seem to point to a couple things that we need to look at before getting too far in our thinking.
First thing I would want to do is find out how my RV is plumbed and for that the prats catalog makes it pretty simple to look at what materials and where the connections are made.

Try this site if you have concerns and your RV is less than about 2010 age group:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Then if one decides it is a potential problem for you, the next step is going to be much larger.
Do you feel it is actually worth the trauma of going through the legal hoops needed to get a good result?

I have never found it worth the trauma if not speaking of at least $5-10 thousand to get it done. There are times when it is far better to admit that you have gotten into a bad situation and I have found it better to just cut my losses and move on.
I sold a Thor RV and a Ford Focus for this reason!

Never jump until you've looked where you may land!
I don't think anyone here is contemplating taking legal action against Winnebago. As Morich points out, that is a very expensive endeavor. BUT, if a class action suite over these "hose to PEX fitting" connections ever came about, I would join it in a heart beat. The purpose of this forum, and any forum, is to spread information that people with like interests can use. The more Winnebago RV owners that have RVs with this defect we can reach, the better, so they can be aware of the issue and address it. And, if all of those people contact Winnebago about this issue then maybe, just maybe, Winnebago will step up and do the right thing and recall these RVs to get the faulting plumbing connections fixed, or at least quite building RVs with this type of connection. I know that is probably wishful thinking, but we can try.
I think everyone that is reading this should post information about these plumbing connections on every RV forum you can think of, and be sure to request that everyone with this issue contact Winnebago about it.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:15 AM   #95
Winnebago Master

Short of WBO issuing a recall (which seems unlikely, if it could impact every motorhome), what may help is to provide owners more information on this issue - and when they have a leak, what they should do when working with the service team to install better fittings less likely to leak.

Someone knowledgeable about this problem - and the recommended solutions, it might help to create a "READ ME IF YOU HAVE A WATER LEAK" topic, with a brief description of the problem - and the recommended solution (pictures would be very helpful).

If there are enough owners filing warranty claims on water leaks, that could move WBO to change the parts for new coaches - and could motivate them to do a recall, especially if they are also having to cover damage caused from the leak (we had a damaged auto transfer switch that had to be replaced).
Old 04-03-2021, 10:22 AM   #96
Winnebago Vita 24P

Hey all said and done, just be aware of this type of connection as a possible leak, Personally I replaced all clamps and feel good about my repairs, just finished a 6k trip and none leaked. Hardest thing is access and trying to remove old (pex clamps on rubber hose) The rest is a breeze if you can handle a screwdriver. Other issue is hoses may be in a tight location especially under cabinets. Good luck and happy camping.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:50 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore View Post
Hey all said and done, just be aware of this type of connection as a possible leak, Personally I replaced all clamps and feel good about my repairs, just finished a 6k trip and none leaked. Hardest thing is access and trying to remove old (pex clamps on rubber hose) The rest is a breeze if you can handle a screwdriver. Other issue is hoses may be in a tight location especially under cabinets. Good luck and happy camping.
lenore - What did you find to be the best way to remove the PEX clamps, Dremel, diagonal cutters, something else?
Old 04-04-2021, 09:05 AM   #98
Winnebago Owner

Doing the occasional repair is not a problem. Having to do it on a unit that is 6 moths or a year old is uncalled for. Being my age makes it just a bit more problematic getting under and around the MH to repair things. 20 years ago I would have had fun redoing all of the things that go bad. Now ! how do I get the wife interested in doing repairs, she is much younger
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:20 AM   #99
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMed View Post
lenore - What did you find to be the best way to remove the PEX clamps, Dremel, diagonal cutters, something else?
If you can get a very small screwdriver under the end of the clamp you can lift the end and then take pliers and pull the clamp apart. trying to cut them was impossible. They are very strong when installed, just don't work on rubber hoses.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:24 AM   #100
Winnebago Vita 24P

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvale1 View Post
Doing the occasional repair is not a problem. Having to do it on a unit that is 6 moths or a year old is uncalled for. Being my age makes it just a bit more problematic getting under and around the MH to repair things. 20 years ago I would have had fun redoing all of the things that go bad. Now ! how do I get the wife interested in doing repairs, she is much younger
I get it, I am 71 and my hands are getting bad, took me better part of 1 and 1/2 days to repair all of the hoses in my 2020 Vita, But Not trusting my repair centers, and my warranty was only 1 year on the coach, I just decided that was going to be my next project and did it. Probably has something to do with my old Navy ways, just keep going until it is done.

Tags
leak, leaks, plumbing, view