Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2021, 09:44 PM   #61
Winnebago Camper

Wow you guys are scaring me with this leaking problem. I'm looking to purchase a new 24D but now I'm questioning myself if I want to have these problems.

As far as the white hose I had this same ones in my 2018 Grand Design 5th wheel. This was prior to GD being bought by Winnebago.
butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:40 AM   #62
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch50 View Post
Wow you guys are scaring me with this leaking problem. I'm looking to purchase a new 24D but now I'm questioning myself if I want to have these problems.

As far as the white hose I had this same ones in my 2018 Grand Design 5th wheel. This was prior to GD being bought by Winnebago.
There is nothing wrong with the white hose as long as the correct fitting (barbed fitting) and correct clamp (screw clamp) is used OR it has the factory threaded fitting. If the hose has a pex type clamp on it, then it's the wrong application. Not sure what your Grand Design had.

As for the new 24D, you can simply look under the bathroom sink and see if it has the correct fittings. You could also request in writing from the dealer/winnebago to get reassurance correct fittings will be used.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:31 AM   #63
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply.

GD used the pex clamps also, same setup.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:38 AM   #64
Winnie-Wise

I read somewhere that Winnebago bought grand design back in 2016?
Old 01-30-2021, 11:10 AM   #65
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crah View Post
I read somewhere that Winnebago bought grand design back in 2016?
You are right, I thought it was later but I was mistaken. We had a 2016 view 24V model and it had a water leak in it. It was the line from the tank to the pump but it was not from a fitting but had a hole in the line.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:31 PM   #66
Winnebago Camper

I was fortunate enough to take my 2020 View D into a large Central Florida well known RV dealership for the door strut replacement and contacted WBO to to receive approval to resolve our large water leak.

I was contacted by the dealership who stated WBO did not approve replacement of the flexible water hoses.
After additional reading, particularly from Crah, I will be calling back WBO to request approval of replacing the pex connections under the shower pan, shower temperature selector, under the bathroom sink, and by the water pump. I am hopeful of obtaining a solid resolution and will keep the group informed.
Skip
Skip Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:50 PM   #67
Winnebago Camper

2020 View D Water Leaks

I just received an update on the water leak by the shower. The service technician discovered four leaks behind the shower water valve and is waiting for parts from WBO. When we arrive home I will hook up city water and run the shower. Additionally, we will fill the reserve water tank and run the water pump to insure all connections are tight with a pressurized system.

I did discuss my concerns related to the possibility of additional leaks and our soon to expire one year warranty. They stated that since the leak is documented, any future leak issues will be covered by WBO. Can anyone offer any additional advice or unstated concerns?

Thanks, Skip
Old 02-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #68
Winnebago Master

This sounds like what happened to us.

What started out as a slow leak turned into leaks in multiple fittings - and when they tried to replace the fitting that's highest up inside the wall, that fitting came loose completely and shot out so much water, it damaged the auto transfer switch.

The factory water line fittings may not be as secure as they should be - and because of that, doing any work on a rig that has one loose fitting, could cause others in that area to also start leaking - and what started out to be a small job to fix one connection - ends up as a much larger job to redo the entire area...

The Winnebago dealer's service team ended up replacing all of the fittings with parts from Home Depot. But they missed one fitting underneath the shower - and a month later we took it back in for service to replace that fitting.

Hopefully we won't have any more water leaks...

When we bring our RV back to Lichtsinn in the spring (we had a dealer in TX handle the water leaks), we'll have them inspect the plumbing to get a second opinion on those repairs - though I expect they'll find the repairs are fine.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:43 PM   #69

You can add me to the list of leakers.

I have a 2020 Winnebago View. Recently I noticed water dripping from below the wet bay. I removed the access cover under the wet bay to try to find the source of the leak. I found a slow drip coming from where a 1/2" I.D. vinyl reinforced hose is attached to PEX fittings using a PEX cinch clamp (a.k.a. stepless ear crimp clamp). To my surprise I was able to easily turn the hose on the fitting. I saw 3 other places where a vinyl hose is attached to a PEX fitting using a PEX cinch clamp. I was able to turn those vinyl hoses too, and when I did they started leaking as well!

I called Winnebago to ask if this is a known problem. Brian said he had heard of this type of connection leaking, but only after it had froze. He said that, according to the parts diagrams, this is how these connections are supposed to be. Either Brian is not aware of all of the complaints about leaks from these noncompatible hoses/fittings or he is playing stupid.

I refuse to take my View to the local WBO dealers here in Tucson for repairs, so I guess I'll have to try to tackle this fix myself. Rather than replacing all of the vinyl hose with PEX, is there someway to transitions from PEX to vinyl hose?
BadMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:23 PM   #70
Winnebago Master

They should be aware of the problem...

What started out as a leak of one fitting turned into multiple fittings when the service tech tugged on the water lines - causing them to replace all of the fittings.

The leak sprayed into our electrical compartment - shorting out the auto-transfer switch - which required two more service visits in Phoenix - and Winnebago ended up having to pay for the water leak repairs and the emergency ATS replacement.

Plus we had both Kerrville RV (who did the water leak repairs) and Lichtsinn RV report the issues to Winnebago.

If you can get a dealer - or someone else WBO will accept - to do the repairs under warranty, then if you have any issues related to the problem or the repairs (like our blown ATS), then WBO should also cover that.

But if you do the repairs yourself...
Old 03-30-2021, 09:47 PM   #71
Winnebago Owner

Add me to the list of owners who have a water leak coming from a white vinyl hose connection. Mine is the hot water line where it connects to the kitchen sink. Mobile tech coming out to fix next week and I will have him fix all the other ones that we find, based on this posting. Never knew this issue was so common.
NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:09 AM   #72
Winnebago Owner

same here. I found fittings that where over tightened and cracked which caused a slight leak and drip. Not able to get to the fittings without major disassembly so I just stuffed JB Weld in the crack. It worked, but I'm not proud of the work
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:18 AM   #73
Winnebago Camper

This is clearly the stuff of a class action lawsuit. Winnebago should immediately step up and offer warranty support to all owners, even if past the one year mark.
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:35 AM   #74
Winnebago Camper

BadMed,
In February I contacted WBO and spoke with Brian and specifically requested the leak in 2020 View D to be documented. WBO must be aware of the pex leak issues expressed in the posts. Hopefully they will respond favorably to support their customers.

Skip
Old 03-31-2021, 08:39 AM   #75
Winnebago Master

It appears this may be impacting a small percentage of View/Navion owners, otherwise the forums would see a lot more reports of water leaks.

So far, we've had great support from Winnebago, Lichtsinn and Kerrville RV (who did the leak repairs).

Though, it would be a good idea for owners to do a water line test to verify they aren't having any issues - especially if they are within their warranty period.

Leave the water pump on overnight - if the water pump runs periodically without any faucets on or there is water underneath the coach in the morning - then there's a leak somewhere.

With a pressure regulator, connect the coach to shore water and run the same test (with the water pump off) and see if there is any water dripping from underneath the coach.

And, if owners are seeing water leaks - then they should post on the forums...
Old 03-31-2021, 09:27 AM   #76
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago water leak

Not just View/Navion. My 2019 Minnie travel trailer has the same issue. It was constructed in 2018. There is a lot of this out there.
Rustyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:30 AM   #77
Winnebago Vita 24P

Same issue on the Winnebago Vita/Porto. We have been removing the pex clamp and installing a automotive screw clamp. Problem fixed. The clamp is the old fashioned stainless steel screw clamp available at any hardward store or automotive store.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:43 AM   #78
Winnebago Camper

This style of plumbing connection is standard at Winnebago. It is not a standard type of connection and is a leak waiting to happen. As for how many units actually have leaks, I have no idea. Based on the number of units Winnebago sells, only a small percentage of owners participate in these forums. The vast majority of leaks would go unreported in any forum, and hence, determining the scope of the problem is not easily done.

The only thing I know for certain, is that I have had leaks and will be replacing all of the inadequate crimp connections with two hose clamps per connection. I do not want a flood in my rig. Winnebago used the cheap, easy route when building these plumbing systems and should have used PEX throughout with industry standard connectors.
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:04 AM   #79
Winnebago Owner

Never mind the leaking hoses. How about the Radio/CD player located under the sink that stops working as soon as a little water gets past the lip of the sink. That thing cost an arm and a leg. Mine stopped working 1 1/2 years after purchase and I just left it alone. But from what I understand, many people had the same problem
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:20 AM   #80
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
It appears this may be impacting a small percentage of View/Navion owners, otherwise the forums would see a lot more reports of water leaks.

So far, we've had great support from Winnebago, Lichtsinn and Kerrville RV (who did the leak repairs).

Though, it would be a good idea for owners to do a water line test to verify they aren't having any issues - especially if they are within their warranty period.

Leave the water pump on overnight - if the water pump runs periodically without any faucets on or there is water underneath the coach in the morning - then there's a leak somewhere.

With a pressure regulator, connect the coach to shore water and run the same test (with the water pump off) and see if there is any water dripping from underneath the coach.

And, if owners are seeing water leaks - then they should post on the forums...
Sorry I have to disagree with your first line. It's already been documented that many other lines have the same problem. Many do not participate in forums.

I have participated in many forums and for whatever reason, I could not find any winnebago forum that is very active.

Winnebago should do the right thing and make a recall. They used products that are not compatible with each other.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaks, plumbing, view