Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-12-2021, 05:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Which Journey DP should I buy?

I am shopping (online so far) 2005 Journey 34H. I am looking at 2. Both have 350 HP and 6-speed Allison, full body paint, and look to be in good condition. One has 4 door refer, w/d, and pretty much all original interior. It also has new paint to original design. Has 37,000 miles. The other one has some suspension upgrades, upgraded interior to my liking and and better tv systems, 2 door refer. It has brand new basement ac/heat pump, and comes with flat tow equipment and 2011 Hyundai toad. Has all maintenance and repair records back to 2007. Asking price is $8K less than the first one. It has 145,000 miles.
bluecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If the previous owner kept up the maintenance during those 145K miles, and it sounds like they did, that amount of miles is really nothing for a DP. If the maintenance was not kept up, totally different story. If it has what you want and fits your needs you need not be afraid of the purchase. As most say though, best to get an pre-purchase inspection.

I also have a 2007 Journey, just slightly different being the 36G
Old 05-13-2021, 10:49 AM   #3

Definitely buy the one with Independent Front Suspension (IFS).

I only know about ISC engines. Is yours an ISB?

Here's some reference points about ISC/ISL buy decisions in my opinion(s):

The pre-April 2004 coaches with an ISC or ISL came with a CAPS-1 injection system. I have this one, and you really, really want to install a FASS or AirDog electric lift pump to provide positive fuel pressure to your CAPS pump. Then you bypass your OEM lift pump that is only used to help start the engine.

Late 2004-2005 ISC/ISL engines came with a CAPS-2 injection pump that uses a High Pressure Common Rail injectors (HPPR-Injectors). These injectors are more finnicky to diagnose vs. the early mode type... and more finnicky than the later model injectors.

2006+ ISCs and ISLs came with High Pressure Fuel Rail system and different injectors (HPFR-Injectors). And by now they worked out the kinks in the injection system after they started only producing ULSD fuels in 2006.

Note: The CAPS-1 and CAPS-2 problem has to do with cooling and lubrication... since these pumps were designed for the older fuel blends that had more sulphur in it and not ULSD diesel #2. ...But the older CAPS system will burn "cooking oil" (literally) and never has an injector problem, since they are "dumb injectors" and operate at lower PSI compared to the newer injectors.

Note: Cooling and lubrication is also a problem when fuel is sucked from the tank under vacuum pressure to the CAPS pump. So adding a FASS or AirDog provides positive fuel pressure and makes sure your injection pump is never starved of fuel so it remains lubricated and cool.

The newer ISC/ISL motors use "smart or smarter injectors and after ~2009 (I think) emissions standards and systems started to change and DEF was introduced.

My point is that you can add a FASS, but not IFS. And I'm not sure if you need a FASS after 2006?

Note: All the years listed above refer the the model year of the RV. ...Your engine year is usually one year earlier than the RV year.

Regarding a tow car: Finding a good, cheap tow car that is ready to go make life much easier. I really know nothing about Hundai cars. I will say that most car's electronics got much better after 2007 and others after 2009. Every year has it quirks. And I see no reason to buy a 6-cyliner tow car over a 4-cylinder, but I would take what ever they are selling in a package deal.

Towing all 4 wheels down is the only way I will travel too! This is especially true with a 38-40' RV because I guarantee you, one or more days, you will need to unhook your tow car to get out of a jam, and dealing with a dolly is way too much work.

A Blue-Ox tow bar setup and car tow plate can add $3,500 to $4,500 new and you will not get much resale value out of the tow plate added to the car or money one has to spend connecting the tow car lights to your RV. ...Never mind, the full day of time you will put into adding a tow car setup to retrofit a tow car.

Frankly, dealing with a tow car is a lot of work too, but a tow car is also your back-up vehicle (and life line) vs. using an electric bicycle or towing a motorcycle in a trailer just does not compare. ...Especially, in the rain.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Tim. I have a close friend with a 2006 Meridian 36 which he really likes. His experience has steered me towards Winnebago brand and away from the Monaco/Holiday Rambler I was originally shopping . BTW, I checked your profile. I'm an old guy but I grew up in Kettering 1954-66 before heading off to college. Live on west coast now.
bluecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I think you should jump on the deal with the towed, for all the reasons listed above. Then, take the difference in what you paid for that rig vs the other one and put it in the bank as your repair fund. Spend hours per day for weeks searching for common issues with your new2you rig and engine, especially the engine. There are forums that are specific to the engines. You'll likly need or should be ready for a couple thousand in engine and or body work the first year. For instance, the serpantine belt idler should be replaced as recommended by Cat in my case at 70K miles. I ended up having to do that in the small town of Parker, AZ. Cost was ~$900.

With your own repair fund you will take care of it without much pulling out of hair. Which I'd recommend you add $150/month to via direct deposit at your bank.

The Journey line is a quality line, I have one, my friends have one so we swap stories about repairs, and I keep my eyes open on the various forums for potential issues. I'm nearing 100K miles on my Journey and getting ready to face the oncoming probables.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecal View Post
I am shopping (online so far) 2005 Journey 34H. I am looking at 2. Both have 350 HP and 6-speed Allison, full body paint, and look to be in good condition. One has 4 door refer, w/d, and pretty much all original interior. It also has new paint to original design. Has 37,000 miles. The other one has some suspension upgrades, upgraded interior to my liking and and better tv systems, 2 door refer. It has brand new basement ac/heat pump, and comes with flat tow equipment and 2011 Hyundai toad. Has all maintenance and repair records back to 2007. Asking price is $8K less than the first one. It has 145,000 miles.
I would not be at all concerned with the higher mileage. I have a 39K triple slide. The Cat C7 engine has all the power I would ever want and I'm sure you will be happy.

In reality, the 145,000 mile coach may have been used a little more, and at the 2005-06 time frame stuff that does go wrong already has. The only thing I would say is negative about the second one is the fridge. I love my 4 dr. You will love the basement AC.

You don't say the price on either, but these can normally be had in the $60 to $75K range. Depending on the exact condition.
Gomazatlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
Truck drivers will tell you that at 145k, that motor is just now broken in!
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:04 PM   #8
1996 Itasca 29Q

Flush the brakes and transmission, you should be golden
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Get an oil sample and tranny fluid sample, send them to Blackstone Labs 25.00 to get to the truth and exactly determine if all maintenance was done and was it done properly. They have a large database on RV's. The only way to go. I tested my engine, tranny and rear diff, all data came back outstanding. I do this every fluid change and keep those records. If I ever sell my coach, the buyer can read the actual history.
Cajunmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecal View Post
Im on the fence on selling . But have an 05 Journey 34H Cat 350 with 42K on the clock.With Full body paint . Ive personally done it all myself . When I say everything has been addressed on the coach . I mean everything !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	80898C15-6E05-4972-931D-FF44B83CAB77_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	179008  
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey