Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Sleeping 6 in a Journey? Advice on which to buy?

We are looking online at a 2009 Journey 34Y, a 2011 Journey 34Y and a 2011 Itasca Meridian V Class. The 2 Journeys each have around 38,000 miles on them. The Itasca Meridian has only 16,605 miles.

One 2011 Journey has a Queen bed (disappointed) and a booth dinette with a convertible sofa. I assume the dinette will convert to a sleeping spot as well as the sofa to I can see where we'd sleep 4 kids. (asking price on RV trader is $129,000.

The 2009 Journey has a much desired King bed with the convertible sofa and a table with chairs. They advertise "sleeps 6" but I can't, for the life of me figure out how a table/chair set can convert into a bedding set for 2. Asking price on RV trader is $122,900.

The 2011 Meridian is set up with a King Bed and same table/chair arrangement.When I called and spoke to a salesman, he told me to look at the diagram where it shows how it can become a sleeping unit. Still baffles me how that can be. They told me over the phone that it looks like it may be sold and they are asking "mid-130's" but will call me if it becomes available.

Can anyone enlighten me concerning how the "sleeps 6" works? Anyone have advice on a 2009 Journey vs a 2011?

Hubby and I are 62/66 and hoping to take grandchildren on a few trips, but mostly want to do some serious traveling as we slow down from work and look toward retirement. We trailer and tent camped in our younger years but this will be our first motorhome. We have much to learn but are excited about the possibilities. Thanks!
Giginurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Giginurse, here are links to the 2009 and 2011 brochures. Looks to me with the table and chairs you can only sleep four in beds the others on the floor.
https://winnebagoind.com/resources/b...y_bro_2011.pdf
https://winnebagoind.com/resources/b...y-Brochure.pdf
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giginurse View Post
We are looking online at a 2009 Journey 34Y, a 2011 Journey 34Y and a 2011 Itasca Meridian V Class. The 2 Journeys each have around 38,000 miles on them. The Itasca Meridian has only 16,605 miles.

One 2011 Journey has a Queen bed (disappointed) and a booth dinette with a convertible sofa. I assume the dinette will convert to a sleeping spot as well as the sofa to I can see where we'd sleep 4 kids. (asking price on RV trader is $129,000.

The 2009 Journey has a much desired King bed with the convertible sofa and a table with chairs. They advertise "sleeps 6" but I can't, for the life of me figure out how a table/chair set can convert into a bedding set for 2. Asking price on RV trader is $122,900.

The 2011 Meridian is set up with a King Bed and same table/chair arrangement.When I called and spoke to a salesman, he told me to look at the diagram where it shows how it can become a sleeping unit. Still baffles me how that can be. They told me over the phone that it looks like it may be sold and they are asking "mid-130's" but will call me if it becomes available.

Can anyone enlighten me concerning how the "sleeps 6" works? Anyone have advice on a 2009 Journey vs a 2011?

Hubby and I are 62/66 and hoping to take grandchildren on a few trips, but mostly want to do some serious traveling as we slow down from work and look toward retirement. We trailer and tent camped in our younger years but this will be our first motorhome. We have much to learn but are excited about the possibilities. Thanks!
The only way it sleeps 6 is by blowing up the inflatable mattress that is stored under the Bed. ......

Depending on the ages they would be fine on the floor if you could live with it.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We have a 39W Journey with couch and dinette.

On a few occasions we have had 4 adults and two kids stay overnight.

The dinette table swings down and the bolsters in the back of the bench seats become the mattress ... it makes a good bed for people that are definitely less than 6 feet tall.

The Sofa bed is really quite comfortable.

The problem with sleeping 6 people is where to put all their "stuff" .... and how to orchestrate going to bed at the same time, getting up at the same time, and taking turns in the bathroom.

We saw a sign on a motorhome one of the first years we were motorhoming ... it said ... Parties 6, feeds 4, and sleeps 2 ... that is the comfortable norm ... more than that requires extra planning and co-ordination

That is my 2 cents worth
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If I was shopping with that kind of crew in mind I'd be looking at 4 sleeping bags and maybe that many good quality air pads. Small kids won't take up a lot of room. They can't fall on the floor if they are already there. Big kids are better off in a tent if they are teenagers. That is assuming you are parked somewhere for a while.

FWIW - don't knock Queen beds, it's all we are interested. Beats wasting all that space with a King. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Check to see how many seat belt positions are provided. My Journey only has seat belts for five
dickb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:15 PM   #7
Former Winnebago Owner

We own a 2011 Meridian 34Y with the dining table & chairs and a king bed. There is no way we can sleep 6 without having someone sleep on the floor. While we really like the table & chairs arrangement, a dinette would be better for those times when additional sleeping places are needed. I don't care for the king bed - it is really stuffed into the bedroom. It leaves minimal room between the bed and the closet and virtually no night stand space.

The 2011 Journey sounds like the best arrangement for your proposed needs. The price is not great, but not robbery either - does the coach have a combo washer/dryer & exterior entertainment system w/TV?

Interesting in that the 2009 shows a 350 hp ISB w/Allison 3000 tranny while the 2011 has 340 hp ISB w/Allison 2500. Also the 2009 GCWR is 6410 lb heavier than the 2011. I think the 2009 was before Winne introduced the Journey Express/Meridian V Class as entry level DP coaches which would explain the price for the 2009 coach. All of the coaches should have new tires, the originals will now be aged out and require replacement. Batteries will be questionable if originals.

Good luck with what ever choice you make. We really like our 34Y. This is our 3rd year with the coach and have close to 25k miles traveling in it.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hope you are happy with whichever you choose. I have a 2010 Journey 39N Express. Ours has a Queen in the Bedroom, two sofas that fold down and the booth dinette. One of the fold down sofas is power operated so it is the default bed for the grandkids (they just don't want to sleep in the bunks) BUT...once it is folded out, it takes up the majority of the floor space in the Lounge area. No big deal until you are up and moving around in the morning and the kids are still sleeping. The other sofa cannot fold down if the power sofa is down as they oppose each other and not enough room for that. that dinette booth can convert to a bed technically but in our case you have to be small (little kid) or like to curl up into a ball! The backs of those boot seats are as wide / long as that gets. I really thought the grandkids would like the bunks, each even has it's own TV but nope. Oh well, it makes a great closet! I just would not count too much on the booth dinette as a bed option unless whoever is sleeping there is little. AND like you, I have no idea how a table and chairs would convert to a bed. Best of luck and Enjoy whichever you choose.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We considered a 34Y but bought an '11 40L because they changed the transmission from the 3000 to the 2500. We wanted to tow a full size pickup and it would have been too close with the 2500 trans. For prices, we traded the 40L in Dec and the dealer sold it about a week later for about $110,000 with 75,000 in like new shape.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for all of your input. We drove 4+ hours to see the 2011 Journey 34Y with the booth dinette and were impressed with how well it had been kept. 'Decided that we could sleep on a queen bed after testing out the new mattress the owner had placed on it last year. We gave them a check for down payment and will return in a couple of weeks to bring it home. Hubby has since passed the "learner's permit" part toward obtaining a Class E/F license and now we're searching for a proper car or small truck to tow. So much to learn!!! It's a bit overwhelming.
Giginurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

We did it! We've brought it home, bought a Chevy Colorado and finally got the airforce one brakes system installed. Had planned to take it out for an overnight (before having the TOAD ready to go) and just spend a night getting to know our "new-to-us" motorcoach, but the fear of hurricane Irma heading our way cancelled our plans. Now we're aiming for a weekend next month. life at home has gotten quite busy. We've driven it around town for practice and had lunch in it, pulling into a nearby Lowe's parking lot with two of the grandchildren. Big hit with them. MUCH to learn, but we're excited! Jeanie

Tags
advice, journey