Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Roof vent maintenance and/or MaxxFan upgrade notes

I recently replaced the 2 stock 14" roof vents on my 2014 Sunstar with MaxxAir MaxxFans. There are several different models of them, I opted for the 10 speed manual (not remote control) with the smoked clear dome.

First, a note to anyone with the stock vents that are more than probably 5 years old. If your coach sits out in the sun, check those domes for embrittlement from the sun exposure. Both of mine had parts of the hinge broken off, and shattered very easily after I removed them. Certainly not something I would want to deal with during a trip, after an encounter with a branch, or hailstone.

The MaxxFans have big, 10 inch diameter blades, and are quieter than the little screamer typically installed above the toilet. The direction is reversible so they will either blow out or suck in, and at top speed, will move 900 CFM. That's an entire air change in my Sunstar in less than 2 minutes with just one fan, If desired, you can run one blowing in and one sucking out, and get a lot of circulation.

The other attractive feature is than, due to the rear overhanging dome with the vent screen on the bottom, they can be open and used even in the rain.

I knew from previous exploration that the living area vent opening was prewired with DC, even though there was no fan. So, I did that one first. It made such a difference (and because I noted the brittle old dome) I replaced the bath vent the next week. Both installs went very smoothly, except that I had to move a solar panel aft a few inches to clear the new bath fan.

The only unintended consequence might be that the smoked dome in the bath makes it darker in there during the day. However, for me, the minor inconvenience of turning on the light is outweighed by the reduced solar heating on sunny days.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, maintenance, roof, upgrade, vent