Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-23-2023, 06:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Turning Radius of 2007 Journey 36SG

I am trying to figure out if I can get my 2007 Journey into my sons driveway. The roadway in front of his house is only 17' wide and his driveway is only 11.5' wide. I found a formula for calculating turning radius in an old post, Assuming a 56 degree cut of the front wheels I came up with a turning radius of just over 28'. I don't know if resulting number is the turning radius of the center of the vehicle, the left side or the right side. I may resort to setting some cones up to represent the roadway and his drive way if I need to but was wondering where I can get the turning radius information for my freightliner chassis.

Any ideas from anyone?
Old 10-24-2023, 07:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The brand of RV is immaterial, the chassis brand decides wheel-cut/ turning radius.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 02:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I knew that Ray, I also contacted Freightliner and they had no information regarding the turning radius or wheel cut of my chassis. I did find a formula someone on iRV2 has that mathematically calculated the turning radius but they didn't say if that was the inside, center line, or outside radius.

No offense to anyone on iRV2, but I tend to get more reasonable answers on this sub forum, so this is where I usually head first.

I actually took some measurements of the pax side steer tire from start to finish in a 90 degree turn and need to plot that info out. If I get a definitive answer I will post it.
Old 10-29-2023, 04:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

If backing in, keep in mind that you also have the option of going back in part way, then turning your wheels in the other direction, going forward, then turning them back and going backward again. This process will allows for success even with the turn exceeds the capability of the turning radius - which is likely to be the case with ALL of our coaches on that narrow a lane into a 90 degree driveway.
TKep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 07:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The Freightliner XC chassis ZF IFS has 60° wheel cut, the I-beam front axle has 55° wheel cut.
reference: https://mhsrv.com/pdfs/brochures/201...r-brochure.pdf Under XC chassis first choice paragraph.
While searching I also stumbled across the Freightliner Recreational Vehicle chassis maintenance manual.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-30-2023, 11:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKep View Post
If backing in, keep in mind that you also have the option of going back in part way, then turning your wheels in the other direction, going forward, then turning them back and going backward again. This process will allows for success even with the turn exceeds the capability of the turning radius - which is likely to be the case with ALL of our coaches on that narrow a lane into a 90 degree driveway.

I know I can back in, but his driveway is around 1500 ft long, I don't want to back that far if I can fi.d a different solution
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 10:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The Freightliner XC chassis ZF IFS has 60° wheel cut, the I-beam front axle has 55° wheel cut.
reference: https://mhsrv.com/pdfs/brochures/201...r-brochure.pdf Under XC chassis first choice paragraph.
While searching I also stumbled across the Freightliner Recreational Vehicle chassis maintenance manual.
My 2005 Vectra with ZF IFS has a 56° wheel cut and I think the I-beam front axle coaches of the same period had a 50° degree cut. According to the Built On Freightliner info for the 2007 Journey it should have a 55° wheel cut.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 02:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
My 2005 Vectra with ZF IFS has a 56° wheel cut and I think the I-beam front axle coaches of the same period had a 50° degree cut. According to the Built On Freightliner info for the 2007 Journey it should have a 55° wheel cut.

I don't know whether he has the IFS or I-beam front axle so included both from that Freightliner document.
Old 11-01-2023, 05:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I have the I-Beam front axle

Tags
journey