Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-27-2023, 04:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Leveling System Reservoir Completely Empty

I bought my 2018 intent 30R a few months ago. I bought it knowing that the leveling system was reporting that the jacks were down, even though they were up. I had one of our local RV repair centers check it out and they said that the pump was leaking and wanted to order the complete pump system which was well over $2000. Another tech explain to me that the hydrolic fluid was leaking. I investigated it and the reservoir had almost completely emptied. I felt around and there did not appear to be any residue on any of the hoses or the pump; however, the bottom of the reservoir was wet. It had been recently leaking so I figure that there aught to be a trail from wee it was leaking from.

It almost appears that there may be a crack in the reservoir because there is only 1/4 of an inch fluid in the tank. I searched the forums but could not find anything relating to the reservoir leaking. Has anyone else seen this type of situation? Also if it is the tank, is there a tank replacement option?
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2023, 06:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I don't see them leaking as much as we fail to read the level right!
But this is likely a place to look for info from the folks who built the pump and jacks. There may be info in a packet of info in a bag you might have got with the RV?
I might suggest looking for the brand, possibly HWH(?) and then there may be a label on the pump, etc. that tells the model number. IF HWH, they may be able to tell you where to find the model number label?
From there, I might call around to the builders or RV supplies for a tank.

Possible salvage RV yards for used as I don't think of them as a real wear problem.
It happens, I'm sure but not so often that a used one would worry me.

A quick point on the "jacks down" alarm is that many times the is simply a float in the tank and when the level gets low it turns on the light, so often not a big deal to repair if we get fluid in the tank?? When the jacks are down it makes the fluid in the tank low!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 07:30 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

It looks like there is a label on the tank in your first photo that may give you a part number.
I think there is a pickup tube with a strainer inside the tank that goes to the pump. The pump draws the fluid through the strainer and up the tube to pressurize the jacks. The pickup tube makes a 90 degree turn in the tank so the pump is basically on the side of the tank. The pickup tube/strainer is very close to the bottom of the tank so if there is a leak in the system, the pump will suck most of the fluid out of the tank. But it is also possible that your tank is cracked.
Are you able to crawl under your RV and trace the hydraulic lines from the pump assembly to all four jacks? The tank holds several quarts of fluid so if it is leaking somewhere there should be a big dirty greasy mess where it is leaking. You might have multiple leaks. The previous owner may have pressure washed everything to hide the leak however.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 08:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Refill the reservoir with Dextron 3 ATF and attempt to deploy the jacks, then retract them, refill the reservoir with ATF and try again.
You will either see the leak or the system will continue to purge air until it's filled with Dextron 3 ATF.
I might be a good idea to have a bag of kitty litter on hand to soak up any leaked fluid.

If your plastic reservoir is cracked, since it if not pressurized you can temporarily seal the crack with Eterbond tape after cleaning the tank surface around the leak.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 04:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Refill the reservoir with Dextron 3 ATF and attempt to deploy the jacks, then retract them, refill the reservoir with ATF and try again.
You will either see the leak or the system will continue to purge air until it's filled with Dextron 3 ATF.
I might be a good idea to have a bag of kitty litter on hand to soak up any leaked fluid.

If your plastic reservoir is cracked, since it if not pressurized you can temporarily seal the crack with Eterbond tape after cleaning the tank surface around the leak.
OOPS, I left out for HWH brand leveling systems.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-28-2023, 05:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you all for your feedback. I did look at the label and the pump is a lippert Pump (I attached a picture from the 3D specs). I was aware of the leveling problem before I purchased it and decided that I would negotiate that part into the price figuring it would not be a major repair. if you look at this second picture the spot on the ground shows the results of the most recent leaking. I did not other residue. The tank was nearly empty already when I put it at that spot. Before I clean the pump, I felt all around and did not feel any residue except four on the plate below the reservoir.

I think I am going to put some more fluid back into the reservoir and see if I can determine where it's coming from. I will keep you advised. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leveling Diagram.png
Views:	25
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	187702  
Old 10-28-2023, 06:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Since Lippert is the brand, ignore my post about using Destron 3, use what Lippert recommends, otherwise you can ruin the pump and hydraulic cylinders.
Old 11-02-2023, 12:36 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I have the Lippert Hydraulic jack system on my 2013 Sunstar 26HE. The manual states:

Fluid Recommendations for Hydraulic Leveling
1. Operation at air temperatures routinely above 0 Degrees C (32 Degrees F)
• Dexron 3/Mercon ATF
• Mercon 5 ATF
• Dexron 6 ATF
• PetroBlend (Mason City, IA) PHO 0022S (synthetic group 3 base blend)
• Bellman all temp 22 (Bremen, IN)
• Or any ATF or hydraulic fluid with a pour point lower than -42 Degrees C (-45 Degrees F).

To keep the post brief, I did not include the recommended fluids outside air temperatures below 32 Degrees. I use Penzoil Mercon V ATF.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 03:41 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I've found Lippert to be good at customer/tech support and they have an unbelievable amount of training/educational content on their web site. Check them out.

I believe you are on the right track to check and see if it's as simple as the reservoir having a crack or maybe a leaking connection.

Good luck!

Tags
leveling