Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-27-2023, 02:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sway in 2016 Journey 36M Diesel Pusher RV

We just purchased a used 2016 Journey 36M. It has very low mileage. When I drive it, there seems to be a lot of sway and the steering seems a little sluggish, especially if there is a crosswind. This is our first Class A. Is this sway and what seems like sluggishness in the steering normal?
Towquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 09:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Towquila,
This thread seems to have some relevant information:
Swaying Winnebago
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 09-28-2023, 12:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Only you can decide what's the best approach for your situation but I would like to direct you to a simple and inexpensive solution to many handling issues that Class A RVs have. It works extremely well for me so I've never re-considered any of those higher priced solutions. But I have a diesel pusher too so situations can be different. I used to worry about sway, drifting, and slow steering response until I added these devices, and afterwards I rarely think about it.

Anyway, I wrote an ad free blog article about these: V-Spoilers...

It's a bit long winded but I wanted to do a complete evaluation because of the huge savings involved would make it seem too inexpensive, easy, and simple. Years after installation I'm still very happy with the outcome. I make no income from the recommendation or from readers of my blog.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 06:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

It's 8 years old, replace the shocks. The gas-filled shocks age-out as well as wear out. My MH was 13 yrs old with 23,xxx miles,and the shocks were shot.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 06:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You just bought your first class A.
How many miles have you driven it? You may have to get used to it's handling.
My 20 year old Journey rides like a dream when I compare it to any of our earlier 3 class A's we've had, it has 150,000 miles on it and we're put on 50,000 of that.
A mh isn't going to handle like a pick-up.
dick
Old 10-01-2023, 07:20 PM   #6
DNC
2016 Journey 36M

Sway in 2016 Journey 36M Diesel Pusher RV

I purchased my 2016 Journey 36M in March of 2020; it had about 11k miles on it. I haven't noticed sluggish steering. If by "sway" you mean bobbing or rocking back and forth, I would say mine is not excessive. Wind can be an issue; it shouldn't be driven in high winds (in excess of say 40 mph).
I've had one issue with how it drives and that was due to a bad toe-in which resulted in the front tires wearing on the inside of both tires; this caused a shimmy which got progressively worse. I bought new front tires and had the front-end aligned and that fixed that.
DNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 08:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

When you have your chassis aligned, don't settle for a front-end job, get a total alignment performed. It will cost about $300,but IMO it's well worth the money..
My rear axle was out of alignment by 3/4", after the total alignment my MH drives more like my Silverado pickup.
The main telltale sign of the rear axle out of alignment is the steering wheel does not sit straight when driving in a straight line.

This website explains: https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/ali...e-and-setback/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-08-2023, 07:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNC View Post
I purchased my 2016 Journey 36M in March of 2020; it had about 11k miles on it. I haven't noticed sluggish steering. If by "sway" you mean bobbing or rocking back and forth, I would say mine is not excessive. Wind can be an issue; it shouldn't be driven in high winds (in excess of say 40 mph).
I've had one issue with how it drives and that was due to a bad toe-in which resulted in the front tires wearing on the inside of both tires; this caused a shimmy which got progressively worse. I bought new front tires and had the front-end aligned and that fixed that.
Thanks. The sway I’m experiencing is side to side. It may be that I just need to get used to it, but even when a big truck goes by it sways and the steering seems slow to respond and seems sluggish.
Towquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 11:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Side to side sway from a semi shouldn't be an issue so it's probably not a "get used to it" thingie.

dick
Old 10-09-2023, 06:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towquila View Post
Thanks. The sway I’m experiencing is side to side. It may be that I just need to get used to it, but even when a big truck goes by it sways and the steering seems slow to respond and seems sluggish.
That comment sure points to bad shocks. As to the sluggish steering, air up your tires to the federal tire placard in the MH then test drive the same roads where you experienced sluggish steering.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have Auto facility for 38 yrs. We use to work on motorhomes and do Banks systems.We became to busy with our cars. However I have done some work on the Freightliner and the gas F53 chassis. On my Journey I did the Koni shocks, air bag check valves and a heavy duty Steersafe bell crank and it drives like its on rails
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, journey