Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-25-2020, 10:43 AM   #1
Bob Tour 2008

Solinoid for charging house batteries

My house batteries are not being charged by the chassis engine alternator. They are charged by the generator and the external power cord.
Is this a problem with the solenoid for the chassis alternator? Where is this solenoid? Thanks Bob Tour 2008
bob1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Do not know if the solenoid is your issue, but here is the wiring diagram to show you where it is.

On page 2, you will see a call out to view BC, and on page 3 you will find the expanded view BC which will show you the solenoid and your Trik-L-Start.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSane View Post
Do not know if the solenoid is your issue, but here is the wiring diagram to show you where it is.

On page 2, you will see a call out to view BC, and on page 3 you will find the expanded view BC which will show you the solenoid and your Trik-L-Start.

Good info here and a great place to start but if not familiar with reading these drawings, a few details may help clear some confusion.
Going to that drawing, looking at the left side about where 6 or 7 and b orc c cross, you can spot the front axle. This tells you which way the drawing lays out , so you find BC, BF and BG at the rear part on the left side of the coach.
Going to sheet tow at A4 you get the broad view as if looking at the angle of the arrow for BF. Then it shows BG and you find the details of that angle view at A2. Detail BD, right above gives the detail you will see there, Taking that panel off and inside, you finally get down to the final details as if looking at the first drawing from angle BC.
Clear as mud, right?
So now the easy part is finding out if the solenoid on the left passes battery from the big post on one side to the big post on the other as you turn the engine on/off.
Fixing is easy. It's the finding the cause that gets hard.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1947 View Post
My house batteries are not being charged by the chassis engine alternator. They are charged by the generator and the external power cord.
Is this a problem with the solenoid for the chassis alternator? Where is this solenoid? Thanks Bob Tour 2008

The solenoid is usually the problem ... On my 2004 Class C I carried an extra one. Problem is the contacts get burned. Then they don't work. Make sure if you got to an auto parts store, you get a "continuous duty" part. Intermittent duty will not work as your driving time is more than just a few minutes. OK?
K9AEG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries