Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-02-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Noticed a sticker on the house batteries that said" Disconnect batteries before attaching any charging device."
What will it hurt to connect a trickle charger with the batteries still connected? I am plugged into shore power but I just want to hasten the process.

I know this has been covered but could not locate the info in doing a search ...thanks
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Noticed a sticker on the house batteries that said" Disconnect batteries before attaching any charging device."
What will it hurt to connect a trickle charger with the batteries still connected? I am plugged into shore power but I just want to hasten the process.

I know this has been covered but could not locate the info in doing a search ...thanks
Old 02-02-2006, 12:04 PM   #3
doc
Winnebago Owner

If you are wrong, then I guess I am as well. I bought a charger from wallyworld a while back just for such duty. If the coach sits under the shed for a while, the sun can't hit the solar panel and the house batteries go down eventually. I just hook the charger up and it puts the power back pretty quickly. Guess I could do the same thing with the shore power plug, but bought the charger before I had power at the shed.
Got any idea why they say to disconnect?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks Doc, That's my question, why do you have to disconnect the batteries?
Old 02-02-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I think it's mostly a CYA kind of thing. The onboard charger merrily charges the batteries every time you connect shorepower - without disconnecting anything. There probably is a concern that you'll hook up a cheapo charger that will go berserk and fry your sensitive 12v loads - for instance, the frig control board or the HWH control board. What they're really saying is disconnect the loads to protect them from an overvoltage scenario. IMHO
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Ok so mine is an old Winne but I have shore power hooked up all the time at home and also chargers for house and engine batts on all the time. No problems yet but Both of my chargers are the fully automatic that put in only what is needed to top the batts off.
KEY word fully automatic charger only charge what is needed, most have over volt protection and reverse poluarity protection. They cost more but are worth it.
As for the disconnect tag on batts thats pretty much standard procedure on all batts as a recomended by manufactors thing, I never do it except to replace batts or remove to clean batt storage area and clean connectors.

Check your owners manual and see what it says about it.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks guys. Good Miles and