Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-16-2006, 04:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

While on the road and stopped for lunch yesterday, I just happened to check the inverter status and the house battery bank voltage and found them way down (11.2 volts) from inverter operation.

I cranked the engine and saw the chassis battery voltage where it should be but not the house batteries.

How does Freightliner charge all batteries from the engine - an isolator maybe? Whatever they use, where is it located?

We finished up our week at the factory last Friday and I'll post a report sometime today.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

While on the road and stopped for lunch yesterday, I just happened to check the inverter status and the house battery bank voltage and found them way down (11.2 volts) from inverter operation.

I cranked the engine and saw the chassis battery voltage where it should be but not the house batteries.

How does Freightliner charge all batteries from the engine - an isolator maybe? Whatever they use, where is it located?

We finished up our week at the factory last Friday and I'll post a report sometime today.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Probably your aux start solenoid contacts oxidized. This is a common problem. On our Journey, the solenoid is located on the left side of the electrical panel behind the front access door. Got this tip from another Journey owner and confirmed we also had the problem. He had replaced his solenoid a couple of times, but same problem reoccurs.

2004 Journey 32T
MNGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:49 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The connection between the two battery banks should be through the emergency start solenoid. You should be able to manually operate the solenoid with the emergency start switch and measure both sides of the solenoid for the same voltage potential. Could be that the control signal to the solenoid isn't working or that the solenoid itself isn't.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Thanks Donn & Joe,

I called Freightliner and they told me it is a house and not a chassis issue. Makes sense.
The "Battery Boost" solenoid is operating - at least I can hear it clicking in the compartment.

Later today I'll start the engine and operate the solenoid and see if the house batteries are getting charged (the cats are having a little nap at the moment )

That solenoid is continuous-duty rated so I might toothpick the switch operated while we look for a permanent solution (assuming the contacts are good.)

Old 10-16-2006, 12:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

John,

I have a WB Adventurer, not the same as your unit, of course, but I had the same problem. WB uses a solenoid to isolate the batteries, I replaced it with one from Winnibago Parts and paid probably double what I could have gotten it for at an auto parts store. It is a standard, run of the mill auto solenoid, next time I'll take it off and just match it up.

BTW, really enjoying your website and trip to AK report. Good Job!

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

John,

It is part of the intellitec system that controls the relays etc.

A while back we had a discussion on this, I learned a bunch from it:
http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2486094452/m/3491086672

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It is part of the intellitec system that controls the relays etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Ultimates had Intelletec's B.I.R.D, but we don't have that in the Vectra/Horizon lines.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I'm pretty sure we do indeed have a bad solenoid - I started the engine and operated the Battery Boost switch and we are not bridging the battery bank.

Thanks all for the help!

Old 10-17-2006, 03:51 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

John,

Replacing the solenoid sounds like your fix, but if you're on the road and can't get the Winnebago part quickly and want to get it fixed, a local NAPA auto parts should have a replacement.

For anther use, we found a NAPA part number ST-85 to be a continuous duty solenoid that should be similiar. Might give you a part to compare to what you have if you need a temporary fix while you're traveling.

I guess the other alternative would be to run the generator if you not the house batteries getting low while driving.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Joe - we'll just let the genny auto start when the house batteries discharge. I might replace the solenoid myself because it would be easier than going to a Winnie dealer. I'll use your part number as a potential replacement.

Thanks!

Old 10-17-2006, 04:50 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

If you want to be thrifty and really cheap, have tools available, and are really curious those solenoids can be taken apart, clean the contacts and put back together.

Contact arcing and soot is what usually dirties the contacts and then causes a no continuity situation. The contacts can be cleaned with steel wool or scotch brite if they are not pitted too bad.

Just like others have said those solenoids are run of the mill continuous duty relays. They are also used on garden tractors and other starting applications or other 12 volt controlling situations.