Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 05:26 PM   #1
Dosis sola facit venenum

Removal of Front Overhead TV - Some Helpful Tips

I just removed the monster boat anchor of a TV from the front overhead in my 2004 Adventurer and I have a couple of tips for anyone who may at some point want to do the same.

I researched on here and other boards before I started and there are MANY well documented projects by others. For that I want to say THANK YOU! There were a couple details that I ran into that I had not seen however, and I want to share those.

First. The wood frame around the front of the TV. Look for four screws, two on each side inside the cabinets on either side of the TV. Once you have those out...it still won't come off. You'll need to pop the screw covers on the big plastic cover that is over your dash under the TV. Take out those screws and you should be able to wiggle the wood frame and the plastic life boat free and take it off. The plastic piece is connected to the wood by three screws from the inside.

Next. The bolts that loosen the brace holding the TV. Hopefully you have a long ratchet extension or an articulating wrench. I didn't so it took awhile loosening those because there's not much wiggle room. Also, once they're loose you'll find that the clamp across the top of the TV is glued down and you'll need to work it lose. There are also two clamps for the bottom of the TV. On the bottom front of the frame.

Don't forget to reach up from the back and disconnect all the wires. Tehy're pretty easy to get to if you sit up on the dash with your back to the windshield. The TV weighs a ton and is awkward. Get someone to help you.

Now all of that is pretty straight forward and if you're leaving the metal TV support frame up there and putting a flat panel in the same space you're good. If you are putting your TV somewhere else and are removing the TV support frame so you can build a cabinet in it's place there is one VERY IMPORTANT piece of information I want to share with you.

That frame is held in place by seven screws. Two on either side at the front that go into the ceiling. Three across the back into one of the metal cross members. You'll get those all out and...nothing will happen. Why? Because the TV support frame is TACK WELDED on either side at the top to the black cross member that is running across the ceiling above it. And the welds are on the outside of the TV frame in the inch or so space between it and the cabinet. I ended up introducing it to an angle grinder and a heavy hammer and chisel.

I'm glad that Winnebago put some extra effort there back in the day because that TV is seriously heavy but I just wasn't expecting welds to be involved. Anyway, hopefully this will help someone else down the road.

Thanks!

Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200525_142517400_HDR.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	173624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200525_142524902_HDR.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	173625