Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2017, 07:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Level Before Operating Slides? Maybe Not

In numerous posts which have anything to do with slides, I have seen the recurring caution to make sure your coach is level before operating your slides. It's been my experience that in some cases, I had to retract my jacks before I retracted my slides. I have been in more than one camp site that was not the most level to begin with. When my jacks have to extend to a point that a wheel gets lifted off of the ground to reach level...we normally try to re position the coach but not always able. If there is significant twisting stress on the chassis caused by jacks compensating for uneven ground, this can cause problems retracting the slides. In one extreme case, my forward half wall slide actually began contacting the ceiling as the slide was coming in. I stopped before damage occurred. In that case, I retracted the jacks which took the stress off of the chassis and the slide retracted just fine.
I believe if you think your jacks are even possibly imposing any twisting on your chassis because of the grounds conditions, you should watch your slides carefully to make sure all is retracting normally. If not, run that slide back out and retract the jacks.
Anyone else ever seen this?
Old 10-28-2017, 06:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Good idea, we find as level spot as possible, put front wheels toward side needing most levelling, if possible. Run front tires onto some wood blocks to keep from leaving ground during leveling. I normally put one solid block under level pads, then level, then run out wall slide. I vary as needed.

Tags
slide