Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #1
Winnie Vectra Full Timer

Extra thermostat in bedroom

New to me 2004 Vectra 40kd.
Has the basement air/heat pump with Coleman mach thermostat in hallway control panel. Also has a thermostat in bedroom for heat only with no on/off switch. I think it is for heat only because I have been turning it as low as it will go to keep it off. When it is on, it blows through 3 vents in the bedroom only and only blows warm if main heat is also on. Bedroom has other vents for main air/heat.
This morning low temp in the 40's for first time. Coach is sitting in my yard plugged in.
Went outside and heard fan running in rear of coach and cold air blowing from those 3 bedroom vents.
Could not find a way to turn it off. Thermostat is turned down but only goes down to 50. Tried several breakers labeled air and heat. Finally unplugged coach from power and it went off.
Anyone know why this thing even exist? Want to keep coach plugged in during winter but it's going to get below 50 a lot.
Any way to turn it off?
Thanks
Mike
TenMillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We had a 5er with main thermostat that had no on/off. To turn off, we had to keep pushing at minn setting and it would click to off.
blifsey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:16 AM   #3
Winnie Vectra Full Timer

That doesn't work on this one.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Bummer. Sorry that wasn't it.
blifsey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #5
Winnie Vectra Full Timer

Well, I disconnected the wires in that thermostat. Both gas and electric heat still work properly from main thermostat.
Fixed my immediate problem but still don't know what this feature is for other than to just throw extra heat into bedroom.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hello TenMillie,

I have a 2000 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage, in our bedroom is a thermostat that I thought did not work as well. It took me 6 months to figure out a switch on the bottom that had not been switched in years. It was really hard to flip. When I was able to turn it on I discovered I had heat on the driver's side of the RV. My main thermostat operates the AC and the right side forward heater.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2017, 08:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenMillie View Post
Well, I disconnected the wires in that thermostat. Both gas and electric heat still work properly from main thermostat.
Fixed my immediate problem but still don't know what this feature is for other than to just throw extra heat into bedroom.
You have a 40,000 BTU main furnace and a 25,000 BTU secondary furnace. That thermostat should control the secondary furnace. Does the thermostat look like this: Suburban 161154 Wall Thermostat? It doesn't have a separate OFF switch, but the leftmost position of the temperature control should be the OFF position (as can be seen labelled in the image at the above link).

(My 36' Vectra has only one furnace, so I have no personal experience to help with this.)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:11 AM   #8
Winnie Vectra Full Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
You have a 40,000 BTU main furnace and a 25,000 BTU secondary furnace. That thermostat should control the secondary furnace. Does the thermostat look like this: Suburban 161154 Wall Thermostat? It doesn't have a separate OFF switch, but the leftmost position of the temperature control should be the OFF position (as can be seen labelled in the image at the above link).

(My 36' Vectra has only one furnace, so I have no personal experience to help with this.)
Yes, that is the thermostat. Thank you!!
Guessing mine is bad.
Will order new thermostat.
Again thank you.
TenMillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

cbeierl is correct. That is the same as my thermostat and controls the rear gas heater. I have one vent in the bathroom and two in the bedroom. No idea where yours are. It does show OFF at the left lowest heat setting. $13.10 plus shipping .
Welcome to the Vectra crowd.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I have a rear furnace with a separate thermostat in the bedroom also. I hand the same thing happen in late fall. I entered the bedroom and the furnace was running. I found the setting was down to where it said OFF but I pushed a little harder to the left and I heard the thermostat snap to the off position. I now have learned that when we turn the heat down we have to make sure the thermostat snaps off. I also showed my DW how it works also.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenMillie View Post
New to me 2004 Vectra 40kd.
Has the basement air/heat pump with Coleman mach thermostat in hallway control panel. Also has a thermostat in bedroom for heat only with no on/off switch. I think it is for heat only because I have been turning it as low as it will go to keep it off. When it is on, it blows through 3 vents in the bedroom only and only blows warm if main heat is also on. Bedroom has other vents for main air/heat.
This morning low temp in the 40's for first time. Coach is sitting in my yard plugged in.
Went outside and heard fan running in rear of coach and cold air blowing from those 3 bedroom vents.
Could not find a way to turn it off. Thermostat is turned down but only goes down to 50. Tried several breakers labeled air and heat. Finally unplugged coach from power and it went off.
Anyone know why this thing even exist? Want to keep coach plugged in during winter but it's going to get below 50 a lot.
Any way to turn it off?
Thanks
Mike
Hi Mike,

Try shutting the breakers off. Also, depending on the type of thermostat, you might find a removable fuse under to cover. Simply pop it out and the thermostat is rendered dead.

Hope this helps.

Rick Y

Tags
thermostat