Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-15-2021, 11:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Shore Power 2004 Itasca Sunrise 30W

The manual indicates that I should disconnect shore power during the winter, but we use it as a guest house and keep it up and running for the Kids when they visit. The book indicates it will damage the house batteries over time. If I throw the battery disconnect switch by the door, does that stop the house batteries from charging? Everything keeps working when shore power is connected off the inverter, but I don't know if the battery is being charged at that time.

Thank you.
ipoverord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

This will be one of those where the details will change the answers for what might work the best but starting with a few details is also good!
No matter how we deal with storage, it takes some thought to get it right and preserve the batteries as long as possible.

Step one is that it does better if we can spend some time watching/checking how things are going. things that can slip up on us are not obvious.
One big thing is that even when we throw the battery disocnnects, the RV STILL has some drains on both start and coach systems.

Radio and ignition may drain the start battery. Safety items like CO and propand monitors are often left on as they don't want to risk that! The step extended may have a light bulb underneath that we don't see in the daylight!

Even when we are plugged in and all left working, the converter doesn't charge the start battery---if we don't make other plans to make it happen. Trik-L-Start is one popular item to think about. If we plug in for coach charging, a second small charger for the start battery is one way to cover for the second setup.

But that is not totally simple either because it may keep them charged but too well as it can run them out of water if we are busy, not watching close enough. That does kill batteries, for sure!

How much time we use it versus how much time we want to spent on watching or ssetting up for correct charging on both sets is one big item to think about but it does need some thought to do it the best possible. The books often say not to leave it plugged in for several reasons, one being that they assume we will not watch close enough and let the batteries boil dry!

So how often do you use it and how dedicated to being careful and watching the water and voltages?

I recommend leaving the inverter turned off when plugged into power as it uses battery to make the same power and no need to run if you already have the power. Inverter is for when you have battery but not 110AC power.

If wanting almost full time use out of the Rv, I leave the rest turned on and assume I will watch the water to keep it topped off and just assume the rest as a small price for the use. In use, the converter which charges the coach batteries willprovide most of the power for lights, fans, etc and the batteries are just kind of acting as reserve stored to make up any slack needed.

But if just used every few months for visits, etc. a different plan may work better and how much to adapt it may change for different times.

When stored, this was my situation and I did this. I like to go out and start the engine and run things once a month or so for a number of reasons. I want to know about rodents and leak problems before they get very big, so I start the engine and genset once in a while and run the air or heat, just to find out if things have gone wrong. I do this while I'm checking the battery water and looking around! Things that are not used often go down quicker than using them!

To keep from boiling the batteries to fast, I go for ading small disconnects on both sytems. These are easy to get to on my Rv and easy to turn to fully open ALL drains on the batteries.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lots of different types but one of these on the negative/ground side of each battery will totally cut off all power from that battery!

Then when I'm checking the RV, I turn these on, start things and check the battery water and all the other points like looking at the roof, etc. while I let the engine and generator run for 1/2 hour or so to get them good and warmed up. I also check the battery voltage as an easy way to stop anything that might be going onwith them as early warning can prevent them going totally flat to ruin them.

No one firm answer is correct and it requires some though on what might work best for the amount of time you want to spend.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 05:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Just connect back to shore power 48 hours before planning to use the RV. Use a couple of electric heaters to warm the RV back up.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Usually that warning is due to the Magnatek converter/chargers that were installed back then since they do not have a float charge mode and will tend to boil your batteries dry if left running for an extended period of time. In your situation you may want to consider upgrading the converter to a Progressive Dynamics with the Charge Wizard which has a float mode plus will regularly run a desulfate cycle to help keep your batteries in good shape.

Many who leave their coaches in cold storage for the winter will remove the batteries and hook them up to a Battery Tender style Float Charger for the winter however since you have yours at home and plugged in you would benefit more from upgrading to the more modern Progressive Dynamics converter/charger.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:06 AM   #5
Site Team

Neil’s correct. Your 17-year old RV has a “dumb” battery charger that isn’t smart enough to not fry your batteries. Updating the charger in the converter would be a benefit for this storage use and always, too. Generally, the charger is behind the main electrical panel and many times that’s under the fridge. That’s not universal mind you, just common.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoverord View Post
The manual indicates that I should disconnect shore power during the winter, but we use it as a guest house and keep it up and running for the Kids when they visit. The book indicates it will damage the house batteries over time. If I throw the battery disconnect switch by the door, does that stop the house batteries from charging? Everything keeps working when shore power is connected off the inverter, but I don't know if the battery is being charged at that time.

Thank you.
How long does the rig sit with no activity? If it sits a month or 2 with no activity, that should not hurt the batteries.
Do you have the Progressive MSW inverter? One way to save your batteries is to upgrade the inverter to a Magnum full sine wave inverter. Great charge control and clean AC inverter power. Natural internal loads in the coach house and normal battery voltage sagging will be enough for the Magnum to keep the battery bank alive and well for extended periods.
I have first had experience with the Progressive inverter. Never again will I wast that much time and money to get so poor a service from it. The Magnum upgrade on my '05 Vectra was well worth the expense and effort. Just my 2 cents.

Tags
itasca, power, shore power